Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 75d with 75k or wait for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, appreciate the clarity
Drive a Y first. Value you wont go wrong. Resell is excellent. If you like a more comfortable ride, go X. If you like a sportier feel, go Y.
Again 2018 pre -Raven won’t be one pedal driving either and the 75D X real world range and performance may not be enough.

Also MY has boost option for 2k to churn out more power and performance.

I’d consider the latest tech tbh. I’ve owned a late 2017 MX 100D and while it was a beautiful machine, the Y just feels more planted and overall better performance and handling.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
Upvote 0
It really comes down to space. The X is spacious - lots of shoulder and head room. The Y is significantly smaller inside. Buy the car that better fits your needs.
Beg to differ there. I’ve had both. The Y is only 8% smaller inside while 17-18% smaller exterior..more efficient use of space. Unless you spring for a 6 passenger X. The captains chairs do provide more space overall.

Upvote 0
The Model X has 91 cubic feet of interior space. The Model Y has 68 cubic feet of interior space. Enough said.
24A6898E-A733-4EAA-A886-98156559B575.jpeg

Most of the extra room is in rear cargo space and frunk not as much the actual seating cabin area. Wider yes and taller yes…but leg room is more in MY. Depends if you have taller kids lol.

If you have 3 kids, and need the extra cargo..X is better for width. If you have 2 kids with longer legs, Y may be better. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Regardless in this scenario the X 75D with low range and battery degradation after 4 yrs, and out of warranty is not the better option. Once those wing doors malfunction out of warranty?
Good luck there :)

If X, get one in warranty and preferably raven 2019+.

Upvote 0
It depends on what is important to you. When my lease was coming up on my 2018 X 75 I test drove a Y. Nice car, but the ride was harsh, and I missed having a display in front of me, panoramic windshield, etc. I ended up ordered in a new X which I now have. I am 100% sure I made the right choice.

I assume since you live on Maui you won't be doing long road trips, so the shorter range may not be an issue, assuming there are chargers available.

Reactions: gangzoom
Upvote 0
View attachment 808153

Most of the extra room is in rear cargo space and frunk not as much the actual seating cabin area. Wider yes and taller yes…but leg room is more in MY. Depends if you have taller kids lol.

If you have 3 kids, and need the extra cargo..X is better for width. If you have 2 kids with longer legs, Y may be better. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Regardless in this scenario the X 75D with low range and battery degradation after 4 yrs, and out of warranty is not the better option. Once those wing doors malfunction out of warranty?

If X, get one in warranty and preferably raven 2019+.
Thanks - good info. The shoulder room is what makes the difference for me. The Model 3 and Y feel too "narrow" to me.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Upvote 0

We have had a 75D for 5.5 years now. We can actually trade it in for new LR Y for zero cost.....but why would we?

We have 1 kid, yes the LR Y has more range and a better infotainment computer but there is no getting around the fact it's basically a 3 on stilts. They are both great cars, but compared to our X its very utilitarian, it simply doesn’t feel 'special', especially when they are literally everywhere.

No massive windscreen, now powered doors of any kind, no crazy 'space craft' like feel at the back.

Luckily I live in England, 150 miles in any direction from our house pretty much hits a sea boarder!! So the range of a 75D is fine, in which case trading for a Y essentially gives up everything I love about our X for extra range we will hardly ever use!

The perfect next car for me is a refreshed X, sadly the price of a new X has gone mad, and we cannot even order a RHD version :(. When the time come, I'll probably look into a new 90kWh 350v pack from Tesal, which will acutally give the car almost as much range as a LR Y.......

As for the FWDs, they have been fault free from day one, and by far the most over engineered part for the car. The air suspension/HVAC have failed far more often.

52004566406_29b6919a74_c_d.jpg

51738917221_d0a9863b8e_c_d.jpg

Upvote 0
If you are cost sensitive, and you want the 4-year full warranty, and long range, high efficiency, and sports-car handling, then get the Y. If you want the best Tesla with air suspension, great windshield view, self-presenting doors, huge cargo space, 3 rows, all doors motorized, dual screens, huge 17-inch touchscreen, nicer interior, then get the X. But don't get a 75D unless it's your secondary car, you'll need 100D. Good luck!

Reactions: Destiny1701
Upvote 0