Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.8.2 Mid Range Confirmed 5.2 Second 0-60 but that's not the whole story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the 2018.8.2 update with the 5% power increase in my Mid Range. I didn't buy this car for its performance but I bought it banking on the fact it would get quicker when the SR was released. Although she's not the fastest car, she will be my SCCA AutoX car this year (hoping the lightest weight Model 3 is going to help around an AutoX course). The thing that's amazing with Teslas is that they are incredibly consistent with their times, they would be hard to beat for bracket racing.

Pre Model 3 "uncorking" the car ran consistent 5.6 0-60's with one 1/4 mile pass of [email protected] @ ~83% battery SOC. Took it out today and knocked off consistent 5.2 0-60's with a similar ~83% battery SOC. I didn't get a chance to do a 1/4 mile pass but I will be sure to update when I do. Obviously all Teslas with the exception of the the performance models are programmed to be sandbagged off the line but there is a very noticeable difference in the mid range say 30-40+ roll on, feels very strong and I wouldn't be surprised if it was was at least a few tenths of a second with some more MPH on the quarter mile as well.

IMG_1642.jpg
IMG_1643.jpg
IMG_1644.jpg

Just got the 2018.8.2 update with the 5% power increase in my Mid Range. I didn't buy this car for its performance but I bought it banking on the fact it would get quicker when the SR was released. Although she's not the fastest car, she will be my SCCA AutoX car this year (hoping the lightest weight Model 3 is going to help around an AutoX course). The thing that's amazing with Teslas is that they are incredibly consistent with their times, they would be hard to beat for bracket racing.

Pre Model 3 "uncorking" the car ran consistent 5.6 0-60's with one 1/4 mile pass of [email protected] @ ~83% battery SOC. Took it out today and knocked off consistent 5.2 0-60's with a similar ~83% battery SOC. I didn't get a chance to do a 1/4 mile pass but I will be sure to update when I do. Obviously all Teslas with the exception of the the performance models are programmed to be sandbagged off the line but there is a very noticeable difference in the mid range say 30-40+ roll on, feels very strong and I wouldn't be surprised if it was was at least a few tenths of a second with some more MPH on the quarter mile as well.

View attachment 387259 View attachment 387260 View attachment 387261

Thanks for posting that excellent data. Be very curious on your quarter mile times and trap speeds.

I’m taking delivery of a MR next Tuesday. I’m assuming the update will likely already be done on the car I’m picking up? 5.2 seconds isn’t amazing by today’s standards but it definitely isn’t slow. Nice thing about EVs is they don’t suffer the ICE performance loss here at altitude so specs should be similar for me at 6k feet.

I’m taking delivery of a MR next Tuesday. I’m assuming the update will likely already be done on the car I’m picking up? 5.2 seconds isn’t amazing by today’s standards but it definitely isn’t slow. Nice thing about EVs is they don’t suffer the ICE performance loss here at altitude so specs should be similar for me at 6k feet.
At 10000 ft even Exotics and big bucks turbocharged cars are dogs. No one has ever done a drag race against the McLaren 720 at altitude but I would bet the model 3 Performance would be right there with it. These cars actually are a little quicker at extreme altitudes because the air is thinner and it's easier to push it out of the way. If you live at altitude the model 3 is an absolute no-brainer. Only downside of course is living at altitude exposes you typically to nastier Winters and we all know what happens to range in the winter

Reactions: hoang51 and MTSN
At 10000 ft even Exotics and big bucks turbocharged cars are dogs. No one has ever done a drag race against the McLaren 720 at altitude but I would bet the model 3 Performance would be right there with it. These cars actually are a little quicker at extreme altitudes because the air is thinner and it's easier to push it out of the way. If you live at altitude the model 3 is an absolute no-brainer. Only downside of course is living at altitude exposes you typically to nastier Winters and we all know what happens to range in the winter

Good points on the acceleration. I would love to have sprung for a performance model, but it doesn't make sense with the mix of other vehicles we have.

Yes no doubt about the cold. I'll be keeping my current daily driver Toyota Land Cruiser, and my wife has a CRV with snow tires. The MR RWD Model 3 will be perfect for scooting around town especially with my commute, but whenever it looks like the weather will be bad the Tesla will stay in the garage :)

Good points on the acceleration. I would love to have sprung for a performance model, but it doesn't make sense with the mix of other vehicles we have.

Yes no doubt about the cold. I'll be keeping my current daily driver Toyota Land Cruiser, and my wife has a CRV with snow tires. The MR RWD Model 3 will be perfect for scooting around town especially with my commute, but whenever it looks like the weather will be bad the Tesla will stay in the garage :)

I’m almost willing to bet, your model 3 will become your primary. You’ll enjoy it so much.

And wonder how you can leave gas behind.

Except perhaps in winter. I can’t really confirm how good or bad winter is with the car as it never really gets too ridiculously cold in Vancouver BC.

Reactions: gene and MTSN
Although she's not the fastest car, she will be my SCCA AutoX car this year (hoping the lightest weight Model 3 is going to help around an AutoX course).
I'm looking forward to hearing from you how this works out. The MR trade-off compared to the SR's version of the trade-off vs the D's trade-off (the P being a different class). I expect the LR RWD isn't a contender here given it doesn't have a lot of extra jump compared to the extra weight, and doesn't have the front wheels driving as a potential to make up for the D's extra weight.

Last edited:
I’m taking delivery of a MR next Tuesday. I’m assuming the update will likely already be done on the car I’m picking up?
That won't necessarily be the can but I think you can ask them to poke it to trigger the download on their network connection. The wait for that depends on the size of how the patch(es) that have to be downloaded to the car. Maybe pass it on to whoever is your delivery contact that you need this specific patch applied as part of prep for delivery.

Reactions: MTSN

5.2s 0-60 and 13.x 1/4 mile puts the MR into the same segment as things like Volkswagen Golf R and Subaru WRX STI which can go for about 40k as well

2019 Volkswagen Golf R Reviews | Volkswagen Golf R Price, Photos, and Specs | Car and Driver
2018 Subaru WRX STI First Test Review: Old Dog, Same Tricks - MotorTrend

View attachment 387259 View attachment 387260 View attachment 387261

What are you measuring with? Dragy?