Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 A/C problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the dreaded 'A/C is being reduced' message again yesterday. This seems to be a recurring issue with my car (5-seater P100D). Went for a drive yesterday, 75 miles. Charged at Supercharger 31 minutes, drove 35 miles with one short stop; supercharged again for 8 minutes before returning home. Outside temp. high 92 degrees. Approx. 1/2 way home or less, A/C reduced message (which basically means no A/C since all the cooling is diverted to the battery). This happened before when it wasn't that hot out and service recharged the A/C, said their test showed it was okay but recharged anyway (car under warranty at the time) and that fixed it. I know from experience this car can't handle multi supercharger stops when it's hot outside if we sit in the car with the A/C on while it's charging: got burned twice doing that. We live in Arizona so it's frequently very hot in summer. But....this wasn't the case yesterday, it wasn't that hot and we didn't charge that long. Although we did sit in the car with the A/C on, it seems to me that should not be a problem for such a short time with it being only 92 degrees.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I scheduled service and told them what was happening but can't get in for 2 weeks. By this morning, the car had cooled down; I turned on the A/C and it came out cold after a few seconds but I'm not trusting driving very far right now until it gets looked at. Could there be a slow leak in the coolant?

see this tread n couple of posts i made

see this tread n couple of posts i made
Thank you, I had just found that thread when you posted. Not sure if anything there is applicable to my situation. I would think if it needs freon or the compressor went out, it would not work the next morning like it did. I haven't driven it yet since we got home all hot and sweaty. I'm still unclear on where to look to see louvers on the Model X.

Reactions: brainhouston
Thank you, I had just found that thread when you posted. Not sure if anything there is applicable to my situation. I would think if it needs freon or the compressor went out, it would not work the next morning like it did. I haven't driven it yet since we got home all hot and sweaty. I'm still unclear on where to look to see louvers on the Model X.
U could ck if the AC hoses are Cold/Hot, when issue presents itself, thats a good start

Look here (borrowed from google):
1662836392771.png

If u see just black plastic, louvers are closed.
If u can see whitish aluminum condenser, its open