Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018, Autopilot 2 status, software 50.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't had my car for long, but I have been trying to use AP every chance I can get in order to see what the system can and can not do as of now (50.3 build). I have the following questions and would like some help on it.

#1 Can the AP system read curbs on the side of the road or does it only see lines as of now? I had a scary incident where the car was heading straight toward a curb as the road crossed an intersection that isn't straight and the line wasn't picked up by the AP. I guess the system might be blind to the curb? (I was close but in full control since I was just testing the system)

#2 Is the car using the map to determine what's a highway and what's not a highway? I ask this because auto lane change seems to be disable everywhere except on the highway. I am thinking they did this to prevent the crossover of double yellow line since the system can't read that.

#3 Here is another scary moment with the AP system. On slow highway merge with traffic, it seems like the car doesn't read the car that is merging in front of you. My car was going straight, didn't try to stop for a car that was about half way out of his lane and into mine. The graphics on the car saw it, but it never attempted to stop the car.

#4 I still have a lot of issues trusting the car when the car in front of me makes an emgerency stops or sudden slowdown. Is my X really going to stop or does it just brake super late?

#5 Does the car know how to slow down before making a sharp turn or does it just understeer into the next lane?

#6 Is it possible to make the car lean left or to the right within a lane or will it always straddle the riddle.

I haven't had my car for long, but I have been trying to use AP every chance I can get in order to see what the system can and can not do as of now (50.3 build). I have the following questions and would like some help on it.

#1 Can the AP system read curbs on the side of the road or does it only see lines as of now? I had a scary incident where the car was heading straight toward a curb as the road crossed an intersection that isn't straight and the line wasn't picked up by the AP. I guess the system might be blind to the curb? (I was close but in full control since I was just testing the system)

#2 Is the car using the map to determine what's a highway and what's not a highway? I ask this because auto lane change seems to be disable everywhere except on the highway. I am thinking they did this to prevent the crossover of double yellow line since the system can't read that.

#3 Here is another scary moment with the AP system. On slow highway merge with traffic, it seems like the car doesn't read the car that is merging in front of you. My car was going straight, didn't try to stop for a car that was about half way out of his lane and into mine. The graphics on the car saw it, but it never attempted to stop the car.

#4 I still have a lot of issues trusting the car when the car in front of me makes an emgerency stops or sudden slowdown. Is my X really going to stop or does it just brake super late?

#5 Does the car know how to slow down before making a sharp turn or does it just understeer into the next lane?

#6 Is it possible to make the car lean left or to the right within a lane or will it always straddle the riddle.

1. It seems to sense curbs.
2. There appears to a gps component.
3. It mostly seems to do ok at this, without overreacting.
4. You should not trust it!
5. Yes it does Slow Down, often too much.
6. Usually center.

Excerpts from Model S Owner’s Manual:

Restricted Speed

Autosteer is intended for use on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps. When using Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer limits the driving speed. The maximum driving speed is calculated based on the detected speed limit plus 5 mph (10 km/h). In situations where the speed limit cannot be detected, speed is limited to 45 mph (70 km/h). When Autosteer is engaged in these situations, it reduces your driving speed and your set speed to be within these limits. You can manually accelerate to exceed the limited speed, but when you release the accelerator pedal, Autosteer slows Model S to the limited speed. When you leave the road, or disengage Autosteer by using the steering wheel, you can increase your set speed again, if desired.

Limitations

Autosteer is particularly unlikely to operate as intended in the following situations:

• Autosteer is unable to accurately determine lane markings due to poor visibility (heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.), or an obstructed, covered, or damaged camera or sensor.

• When driving on hills.

• When approaching a toll booth.

• The road has sharp curves or is

excessively rough.

• Bright light (such as direct sunlight) is

interfering with the camera's view.

• The sensors are a ected by other

electrical equipment or devices that generate ultrasonic waves.

Warning: Many unforeseen circumstances can impair the operation of Autosteer. Always keep this in mind and remember that as a result, Autosteer may not steer Model S appropriately. Always drive attentively and be prepared to take immediate action.

#1. It does not. Ultrasonic sending of high curbs at best. My car swerves toward center medians for no discernible reason as well. Sometimes it swerves into a right lane as well - which can present a problem when the right lane is occupied.

#2. With AP2 there are limitations that are map-driven. Particularly noticeable when the map data is erroneous. Maps and Nav are about to change so ideally this gets better. Was comical and annoying in Alberta especially (having the car arbitrarily slow down 15-20mph with exactly no correct reason) but the same behavior can be observed anywhere there’s a collection of different types of highways.

#3. Yep. Not good. Also inconsistent. Sometimes when the merging vehicle is recognized, the reaction is an overreaction, slowing down abruptly and not accelerating in a timely manner regardless of what’s aft.

#4. In one sentence, don’t trust AP2. Tip: Use TACC at lower speeds to maintain a buffer. Caution: at speeds under 20mph, attempting to engage AS after TACC can cancel out TACC, which takes away your buffer and braking. Not good in stop and go. That said, TACC remains the strongest part of AP2 and AP1. I use it as often as possible.

#5. Not always. When it works, it’s impressive. When it doesn’t, it’s a quick physics lesson in centrifugal force and in avoiding getting rear-ended in the process.

#6. Used to be more pronounced nudgeability (sure it’s a word) with AP1. There is less now. Frustrating since moving right in the face of oncoming traffic, and left when overtaking vehicles such as large trucks not only makes sense, but also reduces risk, increases safety, and reduces significant costs associated with rock chips both to paint and windshields.

In short, there’s a big difference between how AP2 behaves on vanilla-case freeways versus, for example, state routes or surface streets. And there is absolutely no reaction to speed limit signs nor stop signs or traffic signals with AP2. Yet.

AP# = (TACC + AS + ...).

TACC can change one’s mindset from active to supervisory. I view this as a Good Thing, and worth the price of the car.

Autosteer lagged in AP1 and it certainly does in AP2. The difference being that eventually, AP2 may achieve parity with AP1 *and* the exceed it as one would expect with the extra cameras, sensors, and probably a board upgrade for the FSD subset of customers.

Remember to check all of your settings via the touchscreen after each software update. Sometimes things get turned off and need to be re-enabled, or need to be enabled in the first place.

Enjoy the ride. But don’t trust it :).

When driving with TACC and AS on a few roads (not all) I've noticed that when it's set at a certainspeed limit and then passes a speed limit sign that reduces the posted speed, the system recognizes and displays the lower speed limit, and TACC will (on its own) lower the control speed to the new lower amount plus five mpg. Example: Going at TACC plus AS controlled posted speed of 60MPH. Then when I pass a lower posted speed sign of 40MPH, TACC will load a new, lower, speed of 45MPH and slow down to match it. Again, this doesn't happen on all roads in the area. Also, I've never experienced a reverse situation where it increased to a faster posted speed. Any comments or thoughts?

I put more miles on the AP and found more comfort in the system. There are limitations and bugs I believe I am getting, overall the system had worked great and I enjoyed the time I have had with it. There are two bugs I want to add to my original list.

#1 Why is it the car drives like it is running in NASCAR and tries to get a side draft from the next lane around turns? On turns that are a little sharper than normal, the car has the tendency to hug the outside of the lane, sometimes on or crosses over before a hard jerk back into the lane. The problem is worst on left turns, but it certainly appears on right too. It makes for some interesting drives on the fast lane or in the middle lane when there are traffic next to you.

#2 Auto lane change seems to get turned off automatically from time to time randomly in settings, have you guys seen it?

Also in 50.3, the ping ponging seems to be much less than the last version we had!

I have been trying to use AP every chance I can get in order to see what the system can and can not do

I advised customer service that my car has a lot of difficulty making it straight through an intersection while AP2 is engaged. This was their reply:

In regards to auto pilot not maintaining lanes through intersections please remember Auto pilot is still in Beta and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads, such as highways and freeways. It should not be used on city streets.​

We appreciate your input! please feel free to contact us directly via phone for further questions or concerns.​

Please feel free to contact Customer Support 24/7 at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752).
In case you missed that: "It should not be used on city streets." Ugh.

I advised customer service that my car has a lot of difficulty making it straight through an intersection while AP2 is engaged. This was their reply:

In regards to auto pilot not maintaining lanes through intersections please remember Auto pilot is still in Beta and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads, such as highways and freeways. It should not be used on city streets.
That has always been the situation for Auto Pilot. It is for use on divided roads with no cross traffic. It does not detect stop signs, stop signals, cars entering intersections and crossing your path, and cars to the side of you that abruptly move into your lane, among other scenarios.

Even on divided roads with no cross traffic while on Auto Pilot you are ultimately responsible for controlling your car.

I am concerned about all the negative articles about Tesla's autonomous driving capability compared to GM and others. There is one today that places Tesla last, behind 18 other contenders. Of course, Wozniak's remarks don't instill confidence either. I have to wonder why Tesla logged zero miles in California testing, when GM and others racked up so many. How will they get government approval without proving it on the road?

As much as I like my model X, I do feel that Elon Musk has overpromised too much and it seems like Tesla is slipping in it's leadership in this area.

#1 Why is it the car drives like it is running in NASCAR and tries to get a side draft from the next lane around turns? On turns that are a little sharper than normal, the car has the tendency to hug the outside of the lane, sometimes on or crosses over before a hard jerk back into the lane.

OMG that was so true. For the previous 2 weeks, I had an old 2014 MS loaner with AP1 so I had been on AP1 for about 1500 miles (I drives a lot). Yesterday we got our MX back with EAP. Driving the same route home (60 miles), I noticed that hugging outside lane behavior quite often! One time I have to take control because there was a SUV on the next lane driving at exactly the same speed. I have not seen it cross over the lane though...or yet. BTW, this never happened on AP1.

OMG that was so true. For the previous 2 weeks, I had an old 2014 MS loaner with AP1 so I had been on AP1 for about 1500 miles (I drives a lot). Yesterday we got our MX back with EAP. Driving the same route home (60 miles), I noticed that hugging outside lane behavior quite often! One time I have to take control because there was a SUV on the next lane driving at exactly the same speed. I have not seen it cross over the lane though...or yet. BTW, this never happened on AP1.
Same issue we have noticed in our 2017 MX 100D with Enhanced Autopilot and PUP while driving in car pool lanes in Southern CA. Many of our car pool lanes do not have left shoulders but have cement dividers that are just a few inches to the left of the solid left line. Previous attempts to use AP with firmware updates up to 2017.50.3 has resulted in crossing over left shoulder reflectors and solid left line during curves to the right. I always have to take over to keep the MX from driving over the solid left lines or worse, hitting the cement barrier that is only a few inches away from the solid line. Curves to the left do not have this problem with the right lines. It amazes me that curves to the right have this problem even with the left side ultrasonic sensors showing orange or red because of the cement barriers. Yesterday, I picked up our MX from the Burbank SC which installed 2018.4.87 to fix known bugs. Driving in car pool lane along 5 and 14 fwy at speeds below 69mph, I was surprised that this was no longer a problem for over 30 miles. Once traffic increased to my max setting of 74mph and we came to a right turning curve, the MX crossed over the left reflectors and solid yellow line which caused me to take over. I wonder if this problem shows that AP is speed limited to 69mph?