TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2018 BMW 135i vs. 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by harcocjh, Jul 22, 2018.

1. harcocjh

harcocjh Member

So my sister in law just got her a used 2011 BMW 135i and is pretty confident she'd win in a race. Looking at the specs it's actually a pretty close match up performance numbers wise. BMW says the 135i will do 0 to 60 in 5 seconds even while as you know the model 3 LR will do it in about 5.1 sec. So assuming I can figure out a safe way for us to try to put the cars to the test we may soon know for sure. But what do you guys think? I think either it'll be a super close race but she may pull ahead towards the end.

2. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

LR will win because you don’t need to be a professional driver to get the max out of it.

• Like x 4
  3. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Perfect example of how specs are only some of the story. My money is on the Model 3 in every category.

• Like x 2
  4. RayK

RayK Member

Does your SIL have an automatic or manual transmission? If manual, I'd go with the Model 3 as being the winner. If an auto, I'd still say the Model 3 would win :) .

And as far as a safe way to determine a winner, I just Googled "chicago drag strip" and this came up:

Route 66 Raceway - Route 66 Raceway

5. fseir

fseir Member

Some sources have put the Model 3 RWD LR 0-60 at 4.9 seconds.

Only way to prove it, take your SIL to the drag strip and be sure to post the video here!

6. EVMeister

EVMeister Member

How about make it interesting. 10 - 60mph. You'll eat the BMW for breakfast. ;)

• Like x 1
  7. harcocjh

harcocjh Member

Automatic with paddle shifters. That place isn't too far so we will see if she's serious. I think either way that would be pretty fun!

Oh yeah for sure! If I lost I was gonna suggest we start from 30mph lol. Man if the model 3 had the power at 0 that it does at 30 itd be a rocket. But I guess thats why there's a performance version!

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Is this post just a tease or what? Make this race happen.

9. spesler

spesler Member

@harcocjh I owned a ‘10 135i. I loved that car; it was an absolute blast. That said, 9/10 times the Model 3 wins. The 135 has trouble putting all of its power down, especially if she is still running the runflats.

10. spesler

spesler Member

Of course.. I have an AWD on order to eliminate all doubt ;)