Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 CA HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will this sticker increase the number of red Tesla??

Attachments

• red.JPG
    red.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Funny
Reactions: jgd108
I believe pure EV's only need stickers on the rear. I see plug-in hybrids with them on the front.

White stickers need 3 in rear. Red stickers need 3 in rear and 1 in front. I have the White ones but only put 2 in the back like most people. I think you will really have to piss off the highway patrol to get a ticket for missing 1 out of 3 stickers and driver side rear one at that.

Now my M3 is on order, I am thinking to wait until Dec to apply for next year stickers. If I get the red one it will expire by end of year anyway, might as well wait.

Who else thinks they're just gonna change the law and revise it so that these red ones expire in 2022 (or whenever) so they don't have to make new ones?
That would not be a law change. It is completely up to the DMV to devise the sticker scheme such as colors. They just need to come to their senses and declare the Red stickers to expire on 1/1/2022. The stickers themselves don't say anything about expiration.

That would not be a law change. It is completely up to the DMV to devise the sticker scheme such as colors. They just need to come to their senses and declare the Red stickers to expire on 1/1/2022. The stickers themselves don't say anything about expiration.

They can't do that. They need everyone who got the red sticker to pay another $22 next year to get the new color. :p

I thought that if you apply for new stickers (on a car that never had stickers) that you get the fractional year of application and then 3 calendar years. So that new red stickers obtained in 2018 will expire end 2021, but if you just wait until 1/1/2019 to apply, you will be good until end 2022.

Here is a quote from the bill:

(1) A vehicle that meets the state’s super ultra-low emission vehicle (SULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal inherently low-emission vehicle (ILEV) evaporative emission standard, as defined in Part 88 (commencing with Section 88.101-94) of Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(2) A vehicle that was produced during the 2004 model year or earlier and meets the state’s ultra-low emission vehicle (ULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal ILEV standard. A decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to this paragraph is valid until January 1, 2019.
(3) A vehicle that meets the state’s enhanced advanced technology partial zero-emission vehicle (enhanced AT PZEV) standard or transitional zero-emission vehicle (TZEV) standard.
(4) A decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) before January 1, 2017, is valid until January 1, 2019.
(5) (A) A decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) on or after January 1, 2017, and before January 1, 2019, is valid until January 1, 2019.
(B) A decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) on or after January 1, 2019, for a vehicle that had been issued a decal, label, or other identifier pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) between January 1, 2017, and January 1, 2019, is valid until January 1, 2022.
(6) Except as provided in subparagraph (B) of paragraph (5), a decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) on or after January 1, 2019, is valid until January 1 of the fourth year after the year of issuance.
(7) Except as provided in subparagraph (B) of paragraph (5), a vehicle shall not be issued a decal, label, or other identifier more than once.

What about line 6?? Am I not reading this right??