Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 CA HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My interpretation of Paragraph (6) is that all new stickers issued in 2019 and beyond are valid for the partial year of issuance plus 3 years, except stickers issued as extension for stickers originally issued in 2017 or 2018. Those extension stickers all expire on 1/1/2022.

I thought that if you apply for new stickers (on a car that never had stickers) that you get the fractional year of application and then 3 calendar years. So that new red stickers obtained in 2018 will expire end 2021, but if you just wait until 1/1/2019 to apply, you will be good until end 2022.
You are correct. If you buy a car today and wait until 1/1/2019 to apply, the issued sticker should be valid thru 12/31/2022. In fact, that will always be true - don't apply for stickers in the second half of the year, wait until the beginning of the year to maximize your HOV access.

You are correct. If you buy a car today and wait until 1/1/2019 to apply, the issued sticker should be valid thru 12/31/2022. In fact, that will always be true - don't apply for stickers in the second half of the year, wait until the beginning of the year to maximize your HOV access.

...and that is my plan. I should have my Performance 3 in August/September, and plan to hold out until 1/1/19 to apply for the HOV stickers. By my read of the bill (IANAL) I will be good until 12/31/2022.

Sorry, but I am new to this HOV decal process. I already got the white ones (Model S delivery on 12/2017 and received my stickers around beginning of March 2018). I tried googling but didn't find anything.

How do you "renew" your white stickers to the red ones when the white ones expire and when can you start the renewal process? Unless I missed it, I did not see anything at this website.

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

The REG1000 form does not look like it has the "renewal" option. It only has requests for "Original decals", "Transfer to new owner", Information correction/update", "Replacement ID card", and "Replacement decals". I guess the closest would be "Replacement decals"?

And it's Light Purple.
Well, it could have been worse (pink or turd-brown :p). Will clash with most Tesla colors, but at least it won't stick out as much as the red ones.

aZgUdKa.jpg