Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor 2018 Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle - THREE Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PeterK

Model X, 3 & Y Owner
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2013
Cambridge, MA
Climate XChange (CXC), a Boston-based nonprofit (501c3) organization providing education, research and other support to promote carbon pricing in Massachusetts and many other states (full disclosure: I am Vice Chair of the Board), just launched its third Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle (CPAR)!
- In 2015, we sold 1747 of 2000 tickets and gave away a Model S and five other prizes.
- In 2017, we sold out all 2500 tickets and gave away a Model X, two first-day Model 3 reservations with plenty of cash, and three cash prizes.

So we thought it was time to go BIGGER - this year, we will give away three (3!) (THREE!) Teslas!

As we have done for every raffle, we also pay the Federal withholding tax on your expensive Prize! That’s huge, so you don’t have to come up with tens of thousands of dollars IN ADVANCE to pay a tax debt before you even get the car! We’re going to make that withholding tax payment on the Winner’s behalf for **all THREE cars**! But wait… it turns out that there’s also a Massachusetts withholding tax to pay on an expensive Prize! And we will pay THAT, too, on the Winner’s behalf. Thousands of dollars more that we take off your plate and move to ours.

So that’s THREE Teslas with THREE sets of tax payments so that THREE Winners will get in their new cars and just drive away without a care in the world!

We will sell NO MORE than 4,000 tickets for this raffle. First time we held the raffle, we only sold 1747 out of 2000 tickets. Second time, 2500 out of 2500 - we sold out early.

Because your ticket gives you THREE chances to win a Tesla — Grand Prize, Second Prize and Third Prize are all Teslas! — your odds of winning a Tesla are the BEST they’ve ever been in our raffle!
  1. Grand Prize is a Model X, Model S or Model 3 Performance+ AND those withholding tax payments. Total outlay by Climate XChange for the Grand Prize winner will be: $128,233
  2. Second Prize is a Model 3 All-Wheel Drive / Long Range Battery / Premium Interior AND those withholding tax payments. Total outlay by Climate XChange for the Second Prize winner will be: $84,215
  3. Third Prize is a Model 3 Rear Wheel Drive / Standard Battery AND those withholding tax payments. Total outlay by Climate XChange for the Third Prize winner will be: $56,893
We like to think that our Third Prize is as good or better than most other raffles' Grand Prize. :)

AND you get to claim a Federal EV tax credit of up to $3750 (drawing will be January 1, 2019) and any applicable state credits or rebates. Don't like how we've spec'ed them? Apply your tax credit, state rebate and/or trade-in to upgrade a prize, change or reduce options. Even buy a Tesla loaner or Certified Pre-Owned if you like! Or choose an alternative cash prize - but then we don't pay the tax.

WHY are we doing this? To fund our efforts as a member of the carbon pricing coalition in Massachusetts, and in our role as organizer of the State Carbon Pricing Network, including MD, NY and 14 other states. It’s clear to us and many others that the US, as the largest per capita carbon emitter, needs to take action to protect our climate, and that it’s up to states, cities, businesses and individuals to do so. And we know that if one or more states enact carbon pricing, we will set in motion a domino effect - in fact several states have proposed legislation that would enact carbon pricing as soon as neighboring states do so.

WHY carbon pricing? The short answer is that carbon pricing is a market-based mechanism to shift behavior by causing carbon-emitting actions to bear as a cost at least some of their negative impacts to the environment and society. There are many permutations, but most invest some of the proceeds in carbon avoidance, and return some of the proceeds to individuals and businesses to avoid regressive or other adverse impacts. Studies funded in whole or in part by Climate XChange have shown that carbon pricing drives economic growth by shifting $ to local businesses like solar, wind and energy efficiency that provide local jobs (Full Study from CXC Staff Expert: Analysis of Carbon Pricing in Massachusetts | Climate XChange). They have also shown an unexpected but major benefit both economically and morally: a reduction in deaths due to cardiac and respiratory health impacts of air pollution — something that affects all of us, but may affect the less well-off most of all (Health Co-benefits of a Carbon Pricing Bill in Massachusetts | Climate XChange). And there are successful examples, such as British Columbia’s implementation of a carbon fee-and-rebate system in 2008 (The British Columbia Success | Climate XChange). For additional detail, you might want to read this (The Basics | Climate XChange).

Now back to the raffle. If you’ve watched or participated in our two previous Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffles, you know that we are very excited to GIVE AWAY TESLAS! Some of us are Tesla owners ourselves. It’s a truly awesome car from an amazing company and obviously it’s the best car to illustrate the benefits of de-carbonized transportation. That’s why we’re giving away THREE Teslas this time — MORE TESLAS! We’ve deliberately designed this raffle to achieve the best odds ever of winning one of these cars: 1332:1. Buying a single ticket gives you THREE chances to win!

And even if you don’t win, you still win, because your $250 ticket (or two, or three, or ten…) proceeds go to help enable these efforts to protect our planet. Please note that ticket price is not tax-deductible, because even though Climate XChange is a 501c3 nonprofit, your ticket has value as a raffle chance so it is not considered a donation for tax purposes.

If you want to learn about our previous raffles, click on 2017 CPAR and 2015 CPAR.

If you want to buy tickets, go to climatexchangeraffle.org or carbonraffle.org - they both go to the same place, but the latter is easier to say over the phone, write on bumper stickers, etc. The 2018 CPAR raffle site and CXC's new overall website are now live! Ticket sales end December 31 — or when we run out of tickets. And the drawing will be on New Year’s Day, 2019. Unfortunately for some of you out there, this raffle is only open to U.S. citizens and residents 18 and older for legal and tax reasons. See additional details on the raffle site.

Finally, if you want to discuss the raffle, you’ve come to the right place…

Please buy lots of tickets, share with your friends and family, etc. They make great holiday gifts - or for birthdays, weddings, belated graduations, Thanksgiving, Halloween, …
And good luck!

Some details:
  • Three Tesla Prizes, spanning Model X, Model S and Model 3
  • Each Prize accompanied by Federal withholding tax and Massachusetts withholding tax payments, saving the Winners tens of thousands of dollars.
  • Ticket price: $250
  • Max tickets: 4000
  • Launch date: September 12, 2018.
  • Drawing: January 1, 2019 in Boston, MA. You need not be present to win.
  • Eligibility: open to US citizens and legal residents 18 and older.
  • Webcast: yes, we will webcast the drawing.
  • Climate XChange legal facts: IRS-recognized Massachusetts-incorporated 501(c)(3)nonprofit, Climate XChange Education and Research, Inc., registered with the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office and with the Massachusetts Secretary of State. We operate the Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle under the General Laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Part IV, Title I, Chapter 271, section 7A as further clarified by the Massachusetts Attorney General's Regulations Governing Raffles, 940 CMR 12.00 - 12.06. You can find further legal details and links at climatexchangeraffle.org
  • Climate XChange is neither affiliated with nor sponsored by Tesla, Inc. Although we love them!

What if i live in Oregon and was fortunate enough to win. Do I need to travel across the country to claim the prize or can I design it from home and pick up in Oregon? Thanks in advance

You buy it just like any Tesla, except we pay the bill and Federal and MA prize withholding taxes. You can pick it up wherever Tesla will let you. We just want a photo of your delivery to go on our website with your name and hometown!

We're a week into the 2018 Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle and just had a weekly checkpoint call with the team. Lots of tweaks and add-ons underway (stay tuned for the famous ticket counter "speedometer"), but overall things are running well. Since we're among friends and supporters here, I figured I could share a couple of items of interest.

First, with very little marketing so far, we're nearing 350 tickets sold out of our 4000 total. If we keep up that pace we will sell out well before December 31! That would be nice, but we know that sales will go up and down week to week, so we will just keep at it...

Second, we're seeing some very nice distribution coverage by state: MA and CA are in the lead, followed by NJ and then a whole bunch of other states with at least one ticket and no more than 19 sold. The counter on our key to the left is clearly off (one more thing to debug, I guess), but looking at the map it appears there are only 11 states where we have yet to sell a raffle ticket!

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 19.07.17.png

Last year we sold at least one ticket in every state. So all of you out in the Dakotas, Alaska, New Mexico, West Virginia et al, buy a ticket! And those of you in other states, get some sales going so your state color will change by next week's report!

Thanks so much for your support of this important cause - and good luck!
Peter

Because your ticket gives you THREE chances to win a Tesla — Grand Prize, Second Prize and Third Prize are all Teslas! — your odds of winning a Tesla are the BEST they’ve ever been in our raffle!

Thanks Peter, I'll be in it as I was last year. Great cause, but assuming all tickets are sold, aren't the odds worse with 3 in 4000 versus 2 in 2500?

Thanks Peter, I'll be in it as I was last year. Great cause, but assuming all tickets are sold, aren't the odds worse with 3 in 4000 versus 2 in 2500?

Actually we gave away just one car last year (an X, as it turns out - see the photo of Michael Fowler from Chicago picking it up). Second and third prizes were early Model 3 reservations with $10K and $5K cash, respectively.

Edit: And thank you for participating last year and this time!

Last edited:
Reactions: MacGreiner
I just bought my ticket, and the count is now over 750.

Thank you, @Polly Wog ! And thanks to the other hundreds of purchasers to date.

And it's time for my weekly update. As Polly Wog points out, in the second week through Wednesday we sold over 400 tickets! Our marketing kicked in with sponsored articles on TMC and CleanTechnica, and video mentions on Like Tesla and E for Electric. More to come...

Here is the updated map. California is clearly leading the pack with over 80 tickets! Texas has jumped into the next tier with Massachusetts. WA, CO, IL, NY, VA, GA, FL and MD have joined NJ in the next tier. The numbers on the key add up to 51 because of Washington DC. However the key counters and map colors still don't match up, because our web tech has been focused on more urgent matters. It looks like North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming are the only remaining no-ticket states - if you live in one of them please get your ticket, or let a friend in one of those states know about the raffle!

upload_2018-9-27_8-45-22.jpeg

Yesterday when we dialed in to our raffle update conference call, our Executive Director, Michael Green, was just wrapping up our State Carbon Pricing Network call with representatives from efforts in 17 states. It's great to see this widespread concern for the climate, broad efforts to take action, and raffle participation across the country!

Thank you again, and good luck!
Peter

Another week gone by, and time for another update.

With very little marketing activity in the past week, sales slowed a bit. We're nearing 900 tickets sold as of today but need a push to reach the milestone of 1000, one quarter of the way to the finish line. Please help spread the word on TMC and elsewhere.

Here is the latest map. We still have a reporting issue with the numbers on the key, but Wyoming is off the no-sales list! Massachusetts has joined California with over 80 ticket sales, and Maryland has joined the next tier of 41-80 tickets. Oregon and Pennsylvania now have at least 20 tickets each. But there remain lots of states with only a few sales.

upload_2018-10-3_10-3-9.jpeg

Please let your friends in North and South Dakota know about the raffle, so we can get the red off the map. And let's keep working on all of the other states - thank you!

Good luck!
Peter

Reactions: Polly Wog
I was purchasing my ticket tonight, added it to my cart, hit the button in Safari on the Mac to populate my contact details into the form. As I was verifying my contact details, an alert came up that your 3,000+ tickets wasn't enough to satisfy my order. I eventually make it to the bottom and see that the browser changed the quantity from 1 to over 9,000 tickets for a total of over $2.2 Million. Yikes! While I was feeling generous, I definitely can't be that generous.

At first, I had trouble figuring out where that came from, but I just realized that the qty that Safari populated in the form was the +4 portion of my ZIP+4. No idea why it decided to put it in the qty field. I tried replicating the behavior a second time, but it didn't repeat when I refreshed and tried again.

No harm; I thought others would get a chuckle like I did.

Edit: on your map, why does the key say there are 0 states with no sales, but the map shows 2 red states?

I was purchasing my ticket tonight, added it to my cart, hit the button in Safari on the Mac to populate my contact details into the form. As I was verifying my contact details, an alert came up that your 3,000+ tickets wasn't enough to satisfy my order. I eventually make it to the bottom and see that the browser changed the quantity from 1 to over 9,000 tickets for a total of over $2.2 Million. Yikes! While I was feeling generous, I definitely can't be that generous.

At first, I had trouble figuring out where that came from, but I just realized that the qty that Safari populated in the form was the +4 portion of my ZIP+4. No idea why it decided to put it in the qty field. I tried replicating the behavior a second time, but it didn't repeat when I refreshed and tried again.

No harm; I thought others would get a chuckle like I did.

Edit: on your map, why does the key say there are 0 states with no sales, but the map shows 2 red states?

Too bad you didn’t buy out the remainder of the raffle - our greatest benefactor! :)

Glad the error was caught. And thank you for participating!

As for the map, that seems to be a glitch in the report. I believe the map is correct, not the key. Best way to solve it is to get people in North and South Dakota to buy tickets - thanks in advance.

I wish I had more awareness of what carbon price would cause carbon absorbing concrete such as Novacem and Ferrock to be used instead of traditional carbon emitting concrete.

I also wish I had more awareness of what carbon price would switch long range jet airplane flights from oil pumped out of the ground to a fuel derived from carbon removed from the atmosphere, whether a biofuel, or converting waste carbon from landfills, sewage treatment plants, composting facilities, etc to jet fuel. (My understanding is that LanzaTech is one company capable of turning CO2 and CH4 into jet fuel, possibly requiring an input of heat/energy.)

Is there enough awareness of whether there is an acceptable level of carbon emissions, or whether we should now be trying to set the price high enough to end all carbon emissions?

I'm also wondering if there's enough awareness of cases where various forms of indirection may mean that carbon pricing may not be effective.

For example, if a home builder is trying to offer a home at the lowest initial price to the buyer, will the home builder be motivated to minimize the long term carbon footprint of the building? Would we be better off with an explicit ban on new natural gas pipes to new buildings, and regionally appropriate insulation requirements and requirements to include an ERV (or perhaps HRV in some areas)?

If a transit agency's staff isn't directly affected by long term recurring costs, wouldn't getting the Federal Transit Administration to simply stop helping to pay for buses with diesel, CNG, etc engines be more effective than a carbon tax?

Good bicycle infrastructure would reduce transportation energy consumption, especially if electric bicycles, tricycles, and scooters are allowed to use it, but the people designing the roads probably will not be motivated to include good bicycle infrastructure by a carbon tax.

I wish I had more awareness of what carbon price would cause carbon absorbing concrete such as Novacem and Ferrock to be used instead of traditional carbon emitting concrete.

I also wish I had more awareness of what carbon price would switch long range jet airplane flights from oil pumped out of the ground to a fuel derived from carbon removed from the atmosphere, whether a biofuel, or converting waste carbon from landfills, sewage treatment plants, composting facilities, etc to jet fuel. (My understanding is that LanzaTech is one company capable of turning CO2 and CH4 into jet fuel, possibly requiring an input of heat/energy.)

Is there enough awareness of whether there is an acceptable level of carbon emissions, or whether we should now be trying to set the price high enough to end all carbon emissions?

I'm also wondering if there's enough awareness of cases where various forms of indirection may mean that carbon pricing may not be effective.

For example, if a home builder is trying to offer a home at the lowest initial price to the buyer, will the home builder be motivated to minimize the long term carbon footprint of the building? Would we be better off with an explicit ban on new natural gas pipes to new buildings, and regionally appropriate insulation requirements and requirements to include an ERV (or perhaps HRV in some areas)?

If a transit agency's staff isn't directly affected by long term recurring costs, wouldn't getting the Federal Transit Administration to simply stop helping to pay for buses with diesel, CNG, etc engines be more effective than a carbon tax?

Good bicycle infrastructure would reduce transportation energy consumption, especially if electric bicycles, tricycles, and scooters are allowed to use it, but the people designing the roads probably will not be motivated to include good bicycle infrastructure by a carbon tax.

Carbon pricing certainly won't solve all problems, but it is a step in the right direction, and perfect is the enemy of good. Unfortunately the level at which carbon pricing will initially pass will likely be lower than the true cost of carbon, and lower than required to make some of the shifts you mention. But carbon pricing does not exist in a vacuum; EV incentives, solar subsidies, zoning requirements for EV charging or solar, etc. all push in the right direction. And as they they help drive adoption, the biggest lever kicks in - technology advances and scale economies, driving a virtuous cycle.

Last week I attended an event we hosted in Boston, where our team presented a new study of Cap-and-trade schemes in New England (Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, RGGI), California and Quebec (both in the Western Climate Initiative), followed by a panel discussion and Q&A. Very interesting findings and discussion. Worth a look: Regional Cap and Trade: Lessons from the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative and Western Climate Initiative - Climate-XChange

Last edited:
We're now four weeks in, finishing a slow week that has put us very slightly behind our sales plan after jumping ahead in the first two weeks. We have a number of marketing pieces kicking in over the next two weeks - one as soon as tomorrow - so I'm looking forward to a sales bump. In the meantime, we appreciate anything you all can do to spread the word in TMC and elsewhere. This is a critical effort to fund our annual budget, and if it isn't as successful as planned this year, we will have to rethink our fundraising plans for next year.

We are just about at 1000 tickets, and plan to add the ticket sales "speedometer" after making some cosmetic and coding changes to adapt it to this year's sales goal. By state, we still have the reporting glitch and no sales in North and South Dakotas, while New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Florida and Texas have joined the blue group of 41-80 tickets, and Nevada is our newest 20+ ticket state!

upload_2018-10-10_17-17-10.jpeg

Just a subtle reminder that it's ok to buy more than one ticket - either for yourself, or as a gift for a friend or loved one. It shows you care about the future of the planet, while giving them a chance to win a Tesla - like a donation gift and a raffle ticket in one!

And it's for a real cause, not the Human Fund:

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
It's now five and a half weeks in, but here's the status as of five weeks when we had our weekly update (I had a busy week). Unfortunately for various and sundry reasons (content issues, communications challenges, new upload delays), none of the new marketing took place in the last week - but it kicked in on Friday and we'll see the impact in next week's update.

As of Wednesday midday we were under 1100 tickets sold, a slow sales week due to zero new advertising or marketing placements.

upload_2018-10-21_15-39-19.png

Still no sales in North or South Dakota, but at least the key is showing them appropriately. The only color change is Michigan moving up into the 20-40 tickets category. But as noted above, this map should change significantly next week.

On the Carbon Pricing front, after the IPCC released their depressing Climate Change report, we published a piece explaining what it means for us: A scientific wake up call: What the IPCC report means for all of us - Climate-XChange. Please take a look, it's a very good piece that was even linked to in the Boston Globe's editorial calling for a carbon tax: In an era of climate urgency, we need a carbon tax - The Boston Globe

Finally, as I mentioned last week, it's ok to buy more than one ticket - in fact, as of Wednesday the top purchaser had bought 13! But that record was broken yesterday... more to come next week.