Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor 2018 Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle - THREE Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just 30 hours left - ticket sales stop at 2pm sharp tomorrow 12/31! We’ve sold 3230 as of midnight last night. Please keep spreading the word - my stretch goal is to break 3500 at this point, which would be a great outcome. Thanks!

Last edited:
I just bought a few more. At this point it seems each sale actually increases your funding base for promoting Carbon Pricing. Frankly, most other options are less probable successes in the US, so we really should support the this efffort as much as possible. If any of us win another Tesla, so much the better!!

I just bought a few more. At this point it seems each sale actually increases your funding base for promoting Carbon Pricing. Frankly, most other options are less probable successes in the US, so we really should support the this efffort as much as possible. If any of us win another Tesla, so much the better!!

Thank you! We’re seeing quite a few repeat and multiple purchases in these last few days. One guy who bought six a few days ago, bought another 14 this morning so he’s now tied for first with 20 tickets!

Let’s keep it going! This funding will help make something happen in MA as well as formalize and expand our support approach for efforts in other states.

Reactions: CatB
@PeterK So what was the final number of raffle tickets sold?

I’ll post a full update after the drawing today at 3pm Eastern (Facebook livestream will be here: Carbon Pricing Raffle Drawing). We wound up a little above 3400 tickets sold, which is nearly 40% above last year’s 2500 sellout. Though with a significantly more costly prize pool - remember we are not affiliated with or supported in any way by Tesla, and we pay for taxes as well as the cars.

We know we could have sold another 600 or so tickets if we’d been able to reach the right buyers. We were able to cover the Tesla and EV community pretty well through TMC, CleanTechnica, various forums, blogs and Youtubers. I expected the Tesla community would have grown substantially from last year based on growth in car sales, but I guess a lot of people who just got Model 3s have been engaged since they placed deposits in 2016.

We have a harder time reaching people who care about climate change but may not be focused on Tesla. There aren’t as many obvious focused sources of significant audience numbers, and more general ones have prohibitive advertising costs. At the tail end we tried some spots on NPR in Boston (WBUR) which didn’t drive significant sales. We’ll plan to do more of this and perhaps use podcasts next year.

Fundamentally I believe that ticket buyers sharing their interest - not just in the raffle but in the CXC mission - is a powerful force, particularly in achieving our raffle goal of increased awareness of carbon pricing. Many ticket purchases come with notes of support for our mission in the “Notes” field. We need to do a better job of harnessing that interest, and arming people with the information and tools to share and spread it, eg at the Thanksgiving or Holiday dinner table or parties as well as via social media.

Lots to think about, but first we’ve got three winners to pick! The auditors are on the way to our office now, to go over everything and then oversee the drawing.

Suggestions welcome!
-Peter

P.S. That guy who bought 20 tickets in the last few days? Sunday afternoon he bought another 14, for a total of 34! Thanks!

Hi all, those of you who were on the Livestream know that we picked three winners this afternoon. Congratulations to the winners!

Grand Prize: Minh Ta from Georgia (ticket #3128)
Second Prize: Igor Ivanov from Utah (ticket #1495)
Third Prize: Sam Hsu from Nevada (ticket #3285)​

And thanks to all who bought tickets and helped publicize the raffle. Here's a quick view of the final ticket sales distribution by state.

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 22.44.21.png

Georgia (home of the Grand Prize winner), Illinois, and Virginia moved up into the 80+ tickets level. Nevada (home of the Third Prize winner) and Connecticut moved up into the 40-80 tickets group, and Utah (home of the Second Prize winner) and Maine replaced them in the 20-40 tickets group. So in the end 30 states generated at least 20 tickets each, and we had a least one ticket sold in every state. I'm very happy with this broad distribution of ticket sales - and of winners.

Please note that this by-state reporting comes from a generic report generator running on the database back end, and has its quirks. It seems to be counting too many states (54), plus -2 states showing no sales. Since it's not our report tool we haven't spent a lot of time trying to figure out the issue - directionally correct is sufficient for our by-state reporting purposes.

Suggestions for next year welcome below - thanks in advance!
Peter

Reactions: Cowby
With carbon raffle 2019 now live I should probably try my luck again after winning 2nd prize in 2018's raffle. Let's go for double streak! Thanks, climateXchange!

Congratulations Igor! Thanks for the video (2018 Raffle - 2019 Carbon Pricing Raffle), and please do go for a second win!

I'll start a new 2019 raffle thread soon - been a bit busy.
-Peter

Reactions: krashchiy
Thanks Peter!
This thread would surely be helpful, especially given the fact that climate Xchange removed the ticket sale counter from their website for this raffle.

If either of you would like to start a new thread, please go ahead and I'll chime in as soon as I can. I have relatives visiting...

I think the counter will reappear at some point, once we work through all of the little startup issues in the relaunched site and get things moving smoothly. We did a bit of a soft launch this year, because we have a longer runway to mid-February instead of year end.

Unfortunately, @S'toon we still haven't figured out how to offer the raffle in Canada - sorry!
-Peter

If either of you would like to start a new thread, please go ahead and I'll chime in as soon as I can. I have relatives visiting...

I think the counter will reappear at some point, once we work through all of the little startup issues in the relaunched site and get things moving smoothly. We did a bit of a soft launch this year, because we have a longer runway to mid-February instead of year end.

Unfortunately, @S'toon we still haven't figured out how to offer the raffle in Canada - sorry!
-Peter
Tesla Vehicles now importable to Canada!!

<shrug>

• Funny
Reactions: PeterK

If it were only that easy!. We are a small organization spending a lot on lawyers and auditors just to run this in the US. Including Canada would add significantly to those overhead costs particularly if we need to translate everything into French (as I once had to do when conducting an online survey in Canada for a client), but doesn't add proportionally to the potential ticket buyer base.

S'toon, maybe you could take up residence in the US for a short term, say in January and February? It's too cold up there in Alberta at that time anyway... become a snowbird!

If it were only that easy!. We are a small organization spending a lot on lawyers and auditors just to run this in the US. Including Canada would add significantly to those overhead costs particularly if we need to translate everything into French (as I once had to do when conducting an online survey in Canada for a client), but doesn't add proportionally to the potential ticket buyer base.

S'toon, maybe you could take up residence in the US for a short term, say in January and February? It's too cold up there in Alberta at that time anyway... become a snowbird!
Somehow I don't think the bosses at my new job would approve.

Last edited:
Somehow I don't think the bosses at my new job would approve.

Sorry I can’t help. We take the legal aspects seriously because of the importance of our mission. We don’t want to put funding or even nonprofit tax status at risk due to an avoidable error, so we err on the side of caution.

@S’toon, thanks for starting the new thread for this year - last night I posted the ticket sales to date for those interested.

2020 Climate XChange Tesla Raffle

Sorry I can’t help. We take the legal aspects seriously because of the importance of our mission. We don’t want to put funding or even nonprofit tax status at risk due to an avoidable error, so we err on the side of caution.

@S’toon, thanks for starting the new thread for this year - last night I posted the ticket sales to date for those interested.

2020 Climate XChange Tesla Raffle
The power that be made a better thread:
Blog - Win a Tesla AND Take Action on Climate Change