Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Leaf vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the launch of the 2018 Nissan Leaf was yesterday and the folks at Tesla must be very happy. It will have only 150 miles range! That makes it a non-competitor with the Model 3 except to a very small group of low milage commuters who can afford a second ICE car for weekend trips. Where as the Model 3 owners can probably do everything with just the one car. So Tesla is still supreme in technology and range! If they can just get their parts/repair problems worked out I will be back to buy a Tesla again.

So the launch of the 2018 Nissan Leaf was yesterday and the folks at Tesla must be very happy. It will have only 150 miles range! That makes it a non-competitor with the Model 3 except to a very small group of low milage commuters who can afford a second ICE car for weekend trips. Where as the Model 3 owners can probably do everything with just the one car. So Tesla is still supreme in technology and range! If they can just get their parts/repair problems worked out I will be back to buy a Tesla again.
The only interesting thing about the 2018 Leaf is ProPilot. From what I read it sounds like that will come standard? I'm interested to see how that compares with AutoPilot.

As a former Leaf owner I can say that the 2018 Leaf is leaps and bounds greater than my 2013 Leaf. Having said that, Tesla still does not have any competition in my opinion. Tesla has the infrastructure for charging in place unlike Nissan and the other EV manufacturers. That to me is one of the most important factors in my decision to purchase an EV and Tesla hits it out of the ballpark.

As a former Leaf owner I can say that the 2018 Leaf is leaps and bounds greater than my 2013 Leaf. Having said that, Tesla still does not have any competition in my opinion. Tesla has the infrastructure for charging in place unlike Nissan and the other EV manufacturers. That to me is one of the most important factors in my decision to purchase an EV and Tesla hits it out of the ballpark.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think Tesla get enough credit for their supercharging network. It makes a huge difference during road trip. This lady's video is a good example of how much worst it is to do a road trip when you don't have fast charging available.

This really concerns me.

So they are using 12 cameras and 4 lidar for full self driving.

We don't have any lidar and only 8 cameras...
It's not that impressive since the car costs way more than any that would ever come to market. The 2018 Leaf does not have 12 cameras with a computer dedicated to each camera nor does it have 4 LIDARs. Based on first impressions I've read about ProPilot, it is not nearly as advanced as AutoPilot.

It's not that impressive since the car costs way more than any that would ever come to market. The 2018 Leaf does not have 12 cameras with a computer dedicated to each camera nor does it have 4 LIDARs. Based on first impressions I've read about ProPilot, it is not nearly as advanced as AutoPilot.

Watched the video and did find this system impressive. As noted in this video, this is a development system that has to be put into production (2020 projection). Happy to see such advancement but expect similar progress from Tesla, Google, Apple, and other car makers too.

thats gonna be pretty huge if they get propilot as standard. that would leave a 10k difference between the 2 cars for people that want autopilot
For $10k not only are you getting a better looking car, access to the supercharger network, but also an additional 70 miles of range. I'm sure the M3 may provide more premium features as standard as well. For someone on a budget though, it would be tempting.

Reactions: C141medic