Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Lexus LS HUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chasedrgc1223

Nearly Insane
Apr 8, 2015
NJ
The new LS was just unveiled and I came across this gem that was hidden. If this hits production, this will be the largest HUD on a vehicle so far. Maybe we'll see something similar on the Model 3, and hopefully a full windshield display. Interesting to see on here, nonetheless.
upload_2017-1-9_11-59-38.png

I do not fully understand the desire to have an elaborate HUD on a vehicle equipped with advanced self driving capabilities.

What information would be useful to be displayed on your windshield?

Most critical information might be better delivered in an auditory method, so you do not need to take your eyes and focus off your driving to read a windshield display, at the time when all your focus should be on retaking manual control of the vehicle.

Cool! I highly doubt that we will have a full windscreen display though. And Lexus is really taking the design of their car's to a new level. And I think the interior's are going to knock the majority of other car manufactures out the water. Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Jaguar, Maserati, Aston Martin, Tesla etc...... I don't hate the interior of our car's I just think that Tesla could have added more...........LOOK AT ME! Kind of interior. Even though the 17'inch touchscreen does that already!

I do not fully understand the desire to have an elaborate HUD on a vehicle equipped with advanced self driving capabilities.

What information would be useful to be displayed on your windshield?

Most critical information might be better delivered in an auditory method, so you do not need to take your eyes and focus off your driving to read a windshield display, at the time when all your focus should be on retaking manual control of the vehicle.
If you've ever driven a car with a HUD, it's quite intuitive and not really distracting at all. For the Model 3, it will be desired because of how close the driver is to the front of the car. Putting an instrument cluster would clutter the interior.

Cool! I highly doubt that we will have a full windscreen display though. And Lexus is really taking the design of their car's to a new level. And I think the interior's are going to knock the majority of other car manufactures out the water. Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Jaguar, Maserati, Aston Martin, Tesla etc...... I don't hate the interior of our car's I just think that Tesla could have added more...........LOOK AT ME! Kind of interior. Even though the 17'inch touchscreen does that already!
Agreed. Lexus is definitely my second go to brand, other than Tesla of course.

If you've ever driven a car with a HUD, it's quite intuitive and not really distracting at all. For the Model 3, it will be desired because of how close the driver is to the front of the car. Putting an instrument cluster would clutter the interior.

My wife's Mercedes has a HUD system and I actually do find it distracting, I tend to just stare at it instead of looking beyond it...but maybe you get used to it after a while. One thing that I do think would be useful to show on the HUD is the status of the Autopilot, so you don't have to look for the blue steering wheel in the instrument cluster. But I think Tesla also has an audible chime when it disengages? The Mercedes has no audible chime, so the visual display in the HUD is nice there.

What about blind spot warnings and data in the infotainment screen that assists in shifting lanes, I hate taking my eyes off the road to read the screen to understand if it is safe to shift lanes or not. A HUD for that is a must. We are. atleast few years out from having fully legalized autonomous driving, so HUD is a good step forward.

Reactions: Ormond
Skip 3:40 into this video. Hud and self driving goes hand in hand:

That's an interesting point. A large portion of the driver's panel on AP cars is devoted to showing the driver what the car is seeing. Putting it on an augmented reality HUD would be much more intuitive, and also allow the car to highlight things the driver may not have seen yet - road debris, deer, pedestrians.

I expect the Model 3 to use augmented reality with AP on the HUD. I'm hopeful that Tesla is able to do the reverse on current (non HUD) AP2 cars - show live video in the IC and augment it there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saghost
First, thanks for that video -- I think they do a good job of making the AR indicators quite subtle and non-threatening (eg the arched indicator of the car being followed), and with good clear colour choices.

Second, there is good opinion on these boards that HUD/AR will likely be introduced to S/X concurrently to the 3 reveal.

I can't speak for Andrew, of course, but it sounded to me like he was talking about a software change for Pre-HUD AP2 cars - cars built last quarter and this one, when he mentioned live video in the instrument panel.
Ah, yes, sorry, it that case live video on the IC with HUD/AR overlay would be a good idea. Should be quite easy, from the software point of view. Not sure the hw supports it (speed of screen, bandwidth to it) -- but here's fingers crossed.

I can't speak for Andrew, of course, but it sounded to me like he was talking about a software change for Pre-HUD AP2 cars - cars built last quarter and this one, when he mentioned live video in the instrument panel.

I was speaking to both. I've edited my original post to hopefully make that more clear. First, I think the model 3 will come with a HUD and use AR for AP.

Ah, yes, sorry, it that case live video on the IC with HUD/AR overlay would be a good idea. Should be quite easy, from the software point of view. Not sure the hw supports it (speed of screen, bandwidth to it) -- but here's fingers crossed.

3Victoria has my second thought correct. If the AR bits come from the new Nvidia unit then maybe it's possible. We do know that the IC is running an X server. It might be possible for the Nvidia AP unit to remotely display video on the IC via ethernet.