Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 LR AWD Range questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

I wanted to ask what the average watt hours per mile should be for freeway driving on trips. This past year I've seen my battery's max range drop from 300ish to 265ish.

I just did a fairly long trip (15 hours) and was watching my average WHPM and its typically around the 265ish range on flat roads driving 65-70MPH. While I had no problems reaching my destinations I always felt I had to charge extra because my expected % to destination would change by over 10% through the drive to the next charger. Sometimes up, sometimes down (starting with an expected remaining battery of 17% and arriving with 11). Another time starting with an expected arrival of 11% and ending with 25%.

Due to the pandemic my work travel had pretty much been non-existent until this year. I have 25K miles on it and my lifetime average WHPM is 281. So the question I have is is this normal? Am I driving inefficiently or is my battery a concern?

So the question I have is is this normal?
Yes
Am I driving inefficiently or is my battery a concern?
Your battery isnt a concern, but whether you are driving inefficiently or not would depend on the terrain, speed you normally travel, how fast you accelerate, etc. It sounds fairly normal to me though.