Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 M3 for $37k or 2019 M3 for 40k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all—I have reserved two cars (One from carvana and one from CarMax). One is a blue 2018 M3 with 38k miles for 37k and the other is a black 2019 M3 with 18k miles for 40k. Feature set seems the same.

I'm wondering if you would dish out the extra 3k for a newer year and 20k miles. Thanks!

A 2018 (unless it has FSD) absolutely will not have the latest hardware computer, it will have hardware computer 2.5 instead of HW 3.0. If you are going to buy FSD or the cars have FSD, then thats not a concern. If you are not going to buy FSD, then many people want the latest computer.

A 2018 also wont have any autopilot at all "standard".

A 2019, if made after about april of 2019, will not only have the latest computer (for the most part) but will also have autopilot standard.

You say "feature set seems the same" but you dont even say what kind of model 3 these are (sr+? mr? lr awd?)

What do you mean, EXACTLY, by "feature set seems the same"? The two places you mention are not great at getting the feature set of teslas correct.

Hey thanks! Great questions and excuse the brevity. Carvana and Carmax don't surface upgrades well, and they don't do it equally so some of these features are shots in the dark. Here is what I can see:

2018 LR AWD:
  • Cruise Control
  • Lane Departure Warning
  • Blue / Black
  • Front / Rear seat heaters
  • "Sattelite radio ready" whatever that means

2019 LR RWD:
• Does not mention Autopilot (but as far as I can tell Carvana never does)
• Also does not mention heated seats—maybe that doesn't come standard in 2019 LRs?
• Black / Black

I can follow-up with Carvana to try to diagnose which model the 2019 is, exactly—but maybe some of this gives a clue

All the LR versions of model 3s come with heated seats to my knowledge anyway (LR + P). For the 2018, I dont know what they mean by "cruise control" because "autopilot" did not exist as a package in 2018, you had to buy enhanced autopilot. Of course, we dont know the history of either vehicle, so if it went back to tesla at some point it could have "autopilot".

If it were me, I would put 3k of value into the newer car if it had hardware 3.0 and autopilot, unless the 2018 had enhanced autopilot and I really wanted blue. I have a blue / black model 3, so obviously am partial to blue.

I also doubt the 2019 is actually a "RWD" instead of "AWD" because I dont think they made RWD long range model 3s in 2019, but could be mis remembering that.

All the LR versions of model 3s come with heated seats to my knowledge anyway (LR + P). For the 2018, I dont know what they mean by "cruise control" because "autopilot" did not exist as a package in 2018, you had to buy enhanced autopilot. Of course, we dont know the history of either vehicle, so if it went back to tesla at some point it could have "autopilot".

If it were me, I would put 3k of value into the newer car if it had hardware 3.0 and autopilot, unless the 2018 had enhanced autopilot and I really wanted blue. I have a blue / black model 3, so obviously am partial to blue.

I also doubt the 2019 is actually a "RWD" instead of "AWD" because I dont think they made RWD long range model 3s in 2019, but could be mis remembering that.
Any 2018 sold used by Tesla will have at least AP or FSD, if added. I bought a 2018 LR RWD in 2019 with AP from Tesla. Private party sales will probably have EAP since it stays with it but Tesla stripped EAP when they resold them since it was no longer an available AP package.

LR RWD was produced in 2019 for a short period of time but could only be ordered "off menu", but they do exist.

Hey thanks! Great questions and excuse the brevity. Carvana and Carmax don't surface upgrades well, and they don't do it equally so some of these features are shots in the dark. Here is what I can see:

2018 LR AWD:
  • Cruise Control
  • Lane Departure Warning
  • Blue / Black

2019 LR RWD:
• Also does not mention heated seats—maybe that doesn't come standard in 2019 LRs?
• Black / Black

I can follow-up with Carvana to try to diagnose which model the 2019 is, exactly—but maybe some of this gives a clue

2018 LR AWD:
  • Cruise Control
  • Lane Departure Warning
  • Blue / Black

2019 LR RWD:
• Black / Black

The “Satellite radio ready” may mean the car has premium connectivity (LTE connectivity) that does not require a subscription. Not sure when Tesla made that an add-on option. The 2019 may have it as well.

The 3rd party resellers like Carvana and Vroom are not consistent or complete in how they document various features, but Tesla does not really make it easy either.