Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 M3 LR AWD… How much should I get for it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting my Model S next week and need to either trade my current 2018 M3 with Tesla (still waiting for offer) or sell it next week or so. My car does not have EAP or FSD but does have the 19” aluminum rims (black/black ext/interior w/ tint) and only 31000 miles. Car has zero damage, no accidents, and interior looks brand new. It does have minor paint chips from small road rocks on front bumper and just before the rear wheels that could be touched up easily.

What should I ask or get for it for a trade or private sell? I live outside DC and cars on carvana, dealer lots are going for upper 40s.

Last edited:
In today's market I'd guess that a car that old would be worth at least $95K. Maybe $120K if you kick in the door or something to make it seem more used.

But don't take my word for it, type your VIN into a bunch of Carvana-esque sites and dump it on the highest bidder. It's well worthwhile to do this on 5+ sites as their quotes are easy, fast, and widely varying.

What should I ask or get for it for a trade or private sell? I live outside DC and cars on carvana, dealer lots are going for upper 40s.
If not in hurry, post it on various trading Web sites:

Find My Electric

Give Me The VIN

Only Used Tesla

Your local Craig's List

I’ll write you a check for forty two thousand sixty nine dollars and 00/100.

Im aware that this is a joke, so am not considering this post as actual sales activity. For the OP, sales is only allowed in the marketplace subforum here on TMC but because this isnt sales I left it here. If you would prefer it moved to the tesla for sale subforum let me know.

Tesla will likely give you thousands less than Carvana, etc... and they'll likely give you thousands less than private sale.
Just for kicks, I plugged my data into "Give me the VIN" and "KBB.com". Well, GMTV offered $30k to $32K and KBB offered $40K to $43K. My 2019 with AP, blue with a white interior, in excellent condition only has 13.3k miles. GMTV is a flippin joke... I mean that in a bad way.

Just for kicks, I plugged my data into "Give me the VIN" and "KBB.com". Well, GMTV offered $30k to $32K and KBB offered $40K to $43K. My 2019 with AP, blue with a white interior, in excellent condition only has 13.3k miles. GMTV is a flippin joke... I mean that in a bad way.
It all depends. GMTV was the highest offer on my wifes X3 by 3K of all the online sellers in March of this year. This stuff changes all the time, and quickly. I wouldnt put much stock in a KBB offer though, as most of those are not "real".

Yeah I also looked at the sites… KBB was 7K higher than Carvana, Carvana 6K higher than Tesla. I’m going to carmax today…

Anyone sell their car to KBB?

as a benchmark... Tesla is happily selling you Model 3 AWD "to be produced" with delivery in Nov-Dec for $58k from their existing inventory...

I would say as trade-in maybe low 40s ... sell to private maybe mid-40s. it's a 4 yr old car and out of bumper-bumper warranty...

Reactions: Leeclanual
Yeah I also looked at the sites… KBB was 7K higher than Carvana, Carvana 6K higher than Tesla. I’m going to carmax today…

Anyone sell their car to KBB?

@afadeev posted about their experience recently getting quotes on their model 3:

Fake price points:
  • NADA: $48,050 (but if you ask for cash offer, they redirect to Carvana).
  • KBB: $50,000 (KBB has been stupid high for decades, but they never stand behind those paper offers). Once you ask for "cash offer", $50K turns into $38.7K from a "local dealer".
  • Edmunds: $45,700. Once you ask for "cash offer", it redirects to CarMax and its $30.8-39.8K estimate.

I’m getting my Model S next week and need to either trade my current 2018 M3 with Tesla (still waiting for offer) or sell it next week or so. My car does not have EAP or FSD but does have the 19” aluminum rims (black/black ext/interior w/ tint) and only 31000 miles. Car has zero damage, no accidents, and interior looks brand new. It does have minor paint chips from small road rocks on front bumper and just before the rear wheels that could be touched up easily.

You will not get that much for a 2018 car. Closer to mid-/low-30's is more likely.
For starters, it's out of warranty, so that will spook a lot of private party buyers. Also, a LOT of buyers are sitting on the sidelines waiting for the federal tax credits to start kicking in in Jan'23.

Do shop around, and let us know what you find.
Note that there is a BIG gap between "estimated value" and "cash offer". The latter is real, the former is just a random number.
Tesla's offer will be the lowest, bar none. They just don't care.

a

You will not get that much for a 2018 car. Closer to mid-/low-30's is more likely.
For starters, it's out of warranty, so that will spook a lot of private party buyers. Also, a LOT of buyers are sitting on the sidelines waiting for the federal tax credits to start kicking in in Jan'23.

Do shop around, and let us know what you find.
Note that there is a BIG gap between "estimated value" and "cash offer". The latter is real, the former is just a random number.
Tesla's offer will be the lowest, bar none. They just don't care.

a
Carmax 40K… sold!

Carmax 40K… sold!

Funny data point - I followed up on the invite to bring the car to CarMax for an offer (they don't do it online for Teslas), and ... after a bit of waiting got an offer for $35K for my 2019 TM3P with 44K miles. Pretty much inline with other offers I got.

Either there is a glut of Model 3's in my tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT), or what?
⁉️

BTW, they had a 2020 Model 3 with 33K miles on the lot stickered at 55K.
:eek:

Funny data point - I followed up on the invite to bring the car to CarMax for an offer (they don't do it online for Teslas), and ... after a bit of waiting got an offer for $35K for my 2019 TM3P with 44K miles. Pretty much inline with other offers I got.

Either there is a glut of Model 3's in my tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT), or what?
⁉️

BTW, they had a 2020 Model 3 with 33K miles on the lot stickered at 55K.
:eek:
For reference: They had 20 other Teslas on their lot (10 M3s)… while walking the lot (waiting for my appraisal) I found two 2018s that had 10K+ more miles than mine and both had aero wheels (white/black interior) that were listed for $46K. Appraiser told me mine was one of the cleanest M3 he had seen yet… said they would more than likely sale mine at that location rather than move it out. I do believe the appraisals are based on the local market and inventory… you could drive to Maryland or NoVA and try again.

Vroom finally gave me an appraisal 2 days after the fact… 26.5 😱