Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 M3 no dash cam icon, format button inactive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this has already been addressed in another thread, please point me to it. My issue is that Tesla Support had me reboot the car using the two steering wheel buttons then had me do a power off. This brought up the dash cam icon and I was able to format my SD 128g high speed which worked for a little while then turned off. I cannot get it to come back up. I have tried rebooting and power off several times, nothing. So, I have a formatted disk but does not matter if it is plugged in or not, dash cam icon does not appear next to sentry mode icon. Suggestions?

If this has already been addressed in another thread, please point me to it. My issue is that Tesla Support had me reboot the car using the two steering wheel buttons then had me do a power off. This brought up the dash cam icon and I was able to format my SD 128g high speed which worked for a little while then turned off. I cannot get it to come back up. I have tried rebooting and power off several times, nothing. So, I have a formatted disk but does not matter if it is plugged in or not, dash cam icon does not appear next to sentry mode icon. Suggestions?

There actually are a few threads with people having various issues with drives and dashcam, but I havent read through all of them to see if there is any common thread for resolution.

Sometimes drives go bad, so I would first suggest you take the drive out of your car, connect it to a computer, then format it there (using exFAT, not NTFS or apple file formats).

Once its in ExFat, see if you can put it back in the car and then re format it again. Alternatively, you could format it as exFAT and put the teslacam folder on it yourself, then try.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy7
FAT32 works too.

yeah it does, but in order to format a drive > 32GB as fat32, you have to jump through a couple more hoops if you are a windows user vs mac. It used to be that ONLY fat32 worked, so you had no choice but to jump through those hoops. Now that exFat works (and I believe is what a model 3 will format the drive into if formatted in the car), I generally recommend people use exFat.