Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(2018 M3 vs 2022 M3) efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new 2018 Model 3 AWD got 500km’s (310 miles) of range.
(Tesla did have range increase software updates, but I really don’t think many saw those transpire).

A new 2022 Model 3 AWD gets 576km’s (357miles) of range.

My question is:
Where is most of that range increase from?
Wondering if a new 2022 battery placed in a 2018, would produce 576km’s (357 miles) of range, or still only 500km’s (310 miles) of range. ?

(Tesla did have range increase software updates, but I really don’t think many saw those transpire).

My question is:
Wondering if a new 2022 battery placed in a 2018, would produce 576km’s (357 miles) of range, or still only 500km’s (310 miles) of range. ?

Battery is 5% bigger, plus a heat pump. There's probably some other power electronics improvements as well.

That's interesting, the US 2022 TM3 AWD (aka Model 3 Long Range) only claims 334 miles.
Do you guys get something different north of the border?

My question is:

I could never get anywhere close to the actual Tesla stated 310 miles of range in my 2019 TM3P. My actual best was ~284 miles before remaining range showed 2 miles left. So ~92% of stated when battery was now. Less than that now.
The 2022 TM3P claims 315 miles of range. I'm not sure that is any more realistic then the previous 310 miles claim.

However, if Tesla did change battery size of chemistry in TM3P (or AWD's), or downgraded to narrower and more slippery tires (than handle worse, but roll more easily), the range would go up.

Let us know what you find and manage to confirm. I'm thinking of refreshing my TM3P myself.

a

That's interesting, the US 2022 TM3 AWD (aka Model 3 Long Range) only claims 334 miles.
Do you guys get something different north of the border?

I could never get anywhere close to the actual Tesla stated 310 miles of range in my 2019 TM3P. My actual best was ~284 miles before remaining range showed 2 miles left. So ~92% of stated when battery was now. Less than that now.
The 2022 TM3P claims 315 miles of range. I'm not sure that is any more realistic then the previous 310 miles claim.

However, if Tesla did change battery size of chemistry in TM3P (or AWD's), or downgraded to narrower and more slippery tires (than handle worse, but roll more easily), the range would go up.

Let us know what you find and manage to confirm. I'm thinking of refreshing my TM3P myself.

a
If you change the wheels to 18” on the order page, you’ll get your 357 miles.
I was just curious at this stage. My car has 112,000 miles 180,000km’s on it now.
Still running amazing, and about 9% degradation. I’m happy. I was just curious at this point. No immediate plans or need to get a new battery.
If the battery price keeps dropping in coming years, who knows.

My opinion; the price of these batteries won’t drop, and may increase. I say that because batteries are changing and improving a lot every year.
If you need an older style battery years from now, when the focus and development is on much better and cheaper batteries, these might cost a lot to produce by then, given that they likely won’t be made for anything except replacements.
This theory goes out the window though, if the newer cheaper batteries can be retrofitted.
All speculation at this point.

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P
Ah. Thanks.
The 5% bigger would likely be the biggest factor.
Would be interesting to see the actual range increase. :)
I think that really depends on your climate. Heat pump is easily a bigger benefit for me than 5% extra battery capacity. I'm basing that on the huge efficiency hit from cabin warming in our older S with resistive heating, vs our newer 3 with heat pump where cabin heating is way more efficient and also more effective.

We've never had a 3 with resistive heating though.

I think that really depends on your climate. Heat pump is easily a bigger benefit for me than 5% extra battery capacity. I'm basing that on the huge efficiency hit from cabin warming in our older S with resistive heating, vs our newer 3 with heat pump where cabin heating is way more efficient and also more effective.

We've never had a 3 with resistive heating though.
I live in a cold climate, so I’m sure the efficiency will be night and day from my resistance heater.
I’m guessing that a new 82kw battery in a car made for the 75kw battery (assuming the bigger battery would even fit), would likely give me a similar state of charge as a newer 2022 M3 AWD.
How the efficiency plays out is another story.
Keep in mind, my car also has a computer that uses less power as well.
Someone will do this, and get a 2022 battery in a 2018 M3 AWD.
I hope they post results when they do.