Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 M3P w/o red line [on the software screen - is there such a thing?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I have a 2018 M3 LR RWD w/ FSD and love it. Consequently, I looked to purchase another M3 for myself. I found a decent deal at a local Dodge dealership advertising a 2018 Model 3 Performance with 33K miles (10/18). I looked at the clean, 1-owner Carfax and trusted the "M3P" VIN was accurate. However, I did not realize the VINs were indistinguishable for 2018 models (or that KBB and Carfax both default to Performance over LR AWD). The exterior was unbadged but dual motor appeared in the about software menu. Unfortunately, I did not know to check specifically for the red line underneath.

It was 25 degrees outside and the M3P was at 80 miles remaining so I couldn't tell the initial 0-60 difference between our M3 LR RWD. Nevertheless, I traded in my vehicle, made the purchase, charged it up to 80% and updated it to v11. Initially, the M3P seemed more responsive (I assume due to AWD). Sadly, after I couldn't find track mode, I did some research and believe I got duped. All of the dealership paperwork indicates M3P so I assume it's a clear cut case of fraud but hoping they'll just trade me back. It's been two days.

I will call Tesla Support in the morning (which will be a pain and they won't likely be open) but maybe I'll be lucky this is a stealth/sleeper.

TLDR: Is there any chance v11 update removed the performance package?

My wife and I have a 2018 M3 LR RWD w/ FSD and love it. Consequently, I looked to purchase another M3 for myself. I found a decent deal at a local Dodge dealership advertising a 2018 Model 3 Performance with 33K miles (10/18). I looked at the clean, 1-owner Carfax and trusted the "M3P" VIN was accurate. However, I did not realize the VINs were indistinguishable for 2018 models (or that KBB and Carfax both default to Performance over LR AWD). The exterior was unbadged but dual motor appeared in the about software menu. Unfortunately, I did not know to check specifically for the red line underneath.

It was 25 degrees outside and the M3P was at 80 miles remaining so I couldn't tell the initial 0-60 difference between our M3 LR RWD. Nevertheless, I traded in my vehicle, made the purchase, charged it up to 80% and updated it to v11. Initially, the M3P seemed more responsive (I assume due to AWD). Sadly, after I couldn't find track mode, I did some research and believe I got duped. All of the dealership paperwork indicates M3P so I assume it's a clear cut case of fraud but hoping they'll just trade me back. It's been two days.

I will call Tesla Support in the morning (which will be a pain and they won't likely be open) but maybe I'll be lucky this is a stealth/sleeper.

Not likely (never heard of that actually, with "that" being a vehicle that is a performance model 3 no longer displaying the red line in the software after a tesla OTA update).

The car likely was never a "model 3 Performance". No red line on software screen, no performance car, full stop, do not pass go. Everything else is visual and can be added aftermarket to make a regular model 3 look like a performance, and there are model 3 performance that have no visual indicators at all outside the vehicle.

Hopefully the dodge dealership actually had "model 3 performance" on all your paperwork and not "model 3". You definitely want them to unwind the deal if its not a performance and thats what you wanted. There is virtually zero chance that you could get the car changed (by tesla) to a performance. You could buy the acceleration boost, but thats not what you wanted in the first place.

My TL ; DR answer to the question posed by your thread title (which I amended after reading what you were actually asking) is : " there is no such thing as a model 3 performance without a red line in the software screens. no other indicators, including badging or lack of badging matter for determining this.

Last edited:
My wife and I have a 2018 M3 LR RWD w/ FSD and love it. Consequently, I looked to purchase another M3 for myself. I found a decent deal at a local Dodge dealership advertising a 2018 Model 3 Performance with 33K miles (10/18). I looked at the clean, 1-owner Carfax and trusted the "M3P" VIN was accurate. However, I did not realize the VINs were indistinguishable for 2018 models

Yup. Only 2020 and newer VINs have a designator for P. Your car isn't one, and they absolutely should be refunding you.

Alternatively if you're ok with a non-P you could ask for a refund of the price difference (currently $8000, though it was 11k when I bought my 2018 new) and use 2k for the acceleration boost that gets you most of the way there speed wise, just no track mode.

Thanks all for the replies. The Dodge dealership realized their mistake and swapped me back without question.

I found a great deal on a 2016 MS 70D w/ 50k miles that I’m much happier with (included unlimited super charging). Very different than the M3. The MS has AP1 and MCU1 but planning to upgrade soon. Overall, it’s running v10.2 without a hitch.

Thanks all for the replies. The Dodge dealership realized their mistake and swapped me back without question.

I found a great deal on a 2016 MS 70D w/ 50k miles that I’m much happier with (included unlimited super charging). Very different than the M3. The MS has AP1 and MCU1 but planning to upgrade soon. Overall, it’s running v10.2 without a hitch.

Its nice to hear when a company does the right thing. In this case, unwinding the deal was absolutely the right thing. Glad to hear it all worked out for you the way you wanted.

Reactions: Andy7

Only and absolute way of verifying the performance model is to check the redline under the long range ON ITS SCREEN. If it's not there, it's NOT A PERFORMANCE MODEL.