Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 m3p with fsd or 2021 Sr+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All right I need help making a decision, I have 2 options here and I need to decide asap...so torn. Take delivery of my order for a new 2021 SR+ with no fsd later this week OR pull the trigger on a local opportunity to get a 2018 M3P with 35k miles and FSD. price difference is pretty negligible. All input is appreciated!!

Reactions: Mr X
I would definitely go for the newer car, if only for longer warranty! There is a BIG difference in performance but to be honest, I rarely use it. The only thing that draws me to the P is the FSD as I do a lot of highway miles, where FSD shines. If you don't do that many, I wouldn't bother with it. In the end it is a decision only you can make!

Reactions: DRTII
Upvote 1
I would definitely go for the newer car, if only for longer warranty! There is a BIG difference in performance but to be honest, I rarely use it. The only thing that draws me to the P is the FSD as I do a lot of highway miles, where FSD shines. If you don't do that many, I wouldn't bother with it. In the end it is a decision only you can make!
Yea the warranty does make me a tad hesitant. I'm wondering if I should buy the 18 performance and keep it for a bit and maybe resell it...follow up question then what do people think an '18 performance with fsd can fetch ? Looks like a few recently have gone for 50-55 on here 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Kinda tough

But I would say the newer car because it will have the best build quality and be the most refined along with a fresh warranty. Base Autopilot is also really good

Have you driven a Performance 3 though? It is the ultimate Model 3.

If you haven't, I wouldn't suggest driving it back to back with a SR+. It will make the SR+ feel incapable. But the SR+ is a great car.

I have one and my Dad has a Performance. I don't like driving my car after driving his lol but if I don't drive his car then I enjoy my car o_O

A Performance with FSD will hold value over time a little better though

Tough one man lol I can't decide. I'd have to see the condition of the used 3 to determine because if the used 3 has poor interior quality I'd probably pass on it if it's beat up

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kinda tough

But I would say the newer car because it will have the best build quality and be the most refined along with a fresh warranty. Base Autopilot is also really good

Have you driven a Performance 3 though? It is the ultimate Model 3.

If you haven't, I wouldn't suggest driving it back to back with a SR+. It will make the SR+ feel incapable. But the SR+ is a great car.

I have one and my Dad has a Performance. I don't like driving my car after driving his lol but if I don't drive his car then I enjoy my car o_O

A Performance with FSD will hold value over time a little better though

Tough one man lol I can't decide. I'd have to see the condition of the used 3 to determine because if the used 3 has poor interior quality I'd probably pass on it if it's beat up
Here's the performance, I have a hold on it that's good until the end of the night🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Here's the performance, I have a hold on it that's good until the end of the night🤷‍♂️

Where are you getting that the vehicle has FSD from that listing?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see one of the screenshots shows "full self driving capability included package". I would also ask them to tap the additional information in that screen and see if it has the "full self driving computer".

2018s didnt come with HW3 but anyone with FSD could get it installed for no charge. If it has the HW3 (which will be listed in that screen as "full self driving computer" then it has the hardware as well. I am always hesitant about FSD at a dealership though, since you dont know where they got the car from (if tesla ever owned it after purchase).

Upvote 0
Where are you getting that the vehicle has FSD from that listing?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see one of the screenshots shows "full self driving capability included package". I would also ask them to tap the additional information in that screen and see if it has the "full self driving computer".

2018s didnt come with HW3 but anyone with FSD could get it installed for no charge. If it has the HW3 (which will be listed in that screen as "full self driving computer" then it has the hardware as well. I am always hesitant about FSD at a dealership though, since you dont know where they got the car from (if tesla ever owned it after purchase).
Yea that was going to be one of the things I checked. Fortunately the carfax indicates only one other owner so it's probably a safe bet on keeping fsd. Also CarMax allows returns as long as you're under 1500 miles and 30 days, So should be able to get it registered with Tesla and see where everything shakes out by then...still so torn I feel like with Ohio winters the range might not be that different in the winter since no heat pump but I was looking forward to the new interior....for a bit of history I had a 2020 Sr+ and sold it after only having it for like 4 weeks/most of June 2021 because the right buyer fell in my lap and so I ended up making a few thousand bucks.

Upvote 0
I was in a similar debate, I ended up going with a 2021 LR. Although the Performance model seemed awesome, I knew Tesla was switching over to Tesla Vision so I wanted the latest cameras and computers (they are probably the same but unsure) and the warranty of a new car. Also I live in LA, where am I going to go 0-60 in 3.2 seconds? Not in traffic thats for sure haha, the SR and LR are plenty fast (and I am a sportbike and classic mustang driver as well). It’s also really easy to make your car look similar to a performance with a little amount of money, visually that is (painting calipers, lowering springs, etc). FSD is…well you’ll get mixed reviews, auto pilot is more than enough, I drove a FSD car to Houston from LA and honestly didn’t really use any of the features that auto pilot doesn’t already have. The car changing lanes by itself was honestly too hesitant and unsure, wouldn’t use it ever in traffic, not nearly aggressive enough for drivers out here, you’d never make it over haha. But with auto pilot it does more than enough, stays in the lane and controls the speed and distance.

Entirely up to you though! Just thought I’d throw in my 2 cents! The extra range compared to the SR would be rad though, I’d definitely go check it out, figure out what maintenance would be coming up, check out the body panel gaps and paint condition, etc! Good luck!!

Reactions: Bgarel
Upvote 0
The warranty seals it for me. There will always be newer, faster, better Tesla's. Take the warranty.

In this market, where you're lucky to get anything near MSRP and available, you should be looking at whatever is the best value for your money. In a year or 2, markets will have completely stabilized and you may be rationally thinking of picking up a slightly used 2021 Model S Plaid by then!

And in regards to FSD, just pay for the subscription and see how it fits your life. You may find that it's a bit half-baked at the moment and needs more development to truly work for you. Or, it may be exactly what you needed. Either way, if it is, it's a non-transferrable feature, so a subscription model means you can keep switching cars, pay the $199/mo. If it takes you 50 months of paying that rate to equal one car with FSD (that you may no longer even own!) you've already found some value in it.

Reactions: Baytomax
Upvote 0
All right I need help making a decision, I have 2 options here and I need to decide asap...so torn. Take delivery of my order for a new 2021 SR+ with no fsd later this week OR pull the trigger on a local opportunity to get a 2018 M3P with 35k miles and FSD. price difference is pretty negligible. All input is appreciated!!
Seeing that you live in a area with snow I would try to get a long range at least. That being said I would want the warranty so that is pretty huge for buying new. I also like the refresh interior better especially the wireless charging ports being built in. Also no piano black finishes. As for FSD that is a personal opinion. My 2 cents though if you want it is to purchase it with the car. Even if you sell the car you have something to sell. It is cheaper to finance FSD then $200 a month for the subscription. Also if you keep the car a long time it will be paid for. Any way you go though they are great cars!!

Upvote 0
for the short period I had the performance with fsd I drove down to Hilton head and I must say navigate on AP for the long drive was really nice....but not 10k nice. So I'll be sticking to just the subscription option for big road trips.
The $10k value will come in when they get auto steer on city streets rolled out. I use Navigate on AP every day so makes it more worth while. I agree that alone isn't worth $10k though I made the investment for what is coming. I do think auto steer on city streets will be out sometime next year. Tesla says by the end of the year but I don't see that happening would love it if I was wrong though!!

Upvote 0