Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - USA ~ $35k before incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped and looked at this model today. A loaded one is $42K before incentives. I understand that it sells quite well in Europe. I appreciate the two 110 outlets. It had lots of safety features, but no lumbar adjustments. I couldn't see myself owning one, so I didn't bother driving it.

I also looked at Subaru. Subaru doesn't offer a plug-in or a hybrid. They seemed to be designed nicely. I can see why they are so popular.

I stopped and looked at this model today. A loaded one is $42K before incentives. I understand that it sells quite well in Europe. I appreciate the two 110 outlets. It had lots of safety features, but no lumbar adjustments. I couldn't see myself owning one, so I didn't bother driving it.

I also looked at Subaru. Subaru doesn't offer a plug-in or a hybrid. They seemed to be designed nicely. I can see why they are so popular.

FWIW
Mitsubishi just did a decent 'upgrade' of the outlander PHEV for non USA, non Australia markets.
global Outlander Phev got 10%-15% improvement in electric motor power, engine upsized to 2.4l and given switchable otto/atkinson modes, battery upped to 13.8kWh, body given additional bonding tech and new infotainment system. same metal sheet work, but significant upgrade. I doubt it would wow the USA market, which seems to be 16kWh+ or go home.

anyway, it should continue to sell well globally, if only because it still has no competition (outside of China). there are no affordable AWD plugin SUV with a decent battery. its either not 'affordable' or not AWD or not decent battery. i feel the main vehicle cross shopped with the outlander PHEV are the toyota RAV4 hybrid and the outlander diesel.

i do see the 60kWh affordable EVs significantly sharing the market with the outlander PHEV, but honestly, those seem to be limited release vehicles whereas outlander Phev is wide release.

'Up to 33 mile (28 mile under new WLTP testing) EV range achieved with full battery charge. 532 mile total range achieved with combined full battery and petrol tank. Actual range will vary depending on driving style and road conditions. Outlander PHEV range fuel consumption in mpg (ltrs/100km): Full Battery Charge: no fuel used, Depleted Battery Charge: 50.4mpg (5.6), Weighted Average: 159.5mpg (1.8), CO2 emissions: 40.3 g/km.'

hmmm so under the old NEDC, using UK gallons etc
PHEV Depleted Battery Charge: 50.4mpg (5.6)
2.0 petrol outlander 37.7mpg (7.5)
2.2 diesel outlander 53.3mpg (5.3)
no 2.4 petrol in UK,
PHEV depleted battery charge is now similar to diesel efficiency (a little less on a gallon basis, but due to diesel/petrol density, a little more on a weight basis)

RAV4 UK (5.8) nedc? (smaller is better ie 2019 M phev 5.6)
so it looks like the 2019 outlander phev is equivalent to a hybrid/diesel once its battery is empty.

I was waiting for the vehicle for a long time, glad I went with my X!

Well, I did both. Got my X 100D at the end of March and a top trim Outlander for my wife last Friday. I had a Model 3 reservation but she doesn't really like low sedans and prefers something taller, and also really didn't want to go all-electric. So I asked for and received my 3 deposit back. So far, quite impressed with the Outlander for what it is and the price. I too wish it had a bit more EV range, but she should easily be able to do her daily commute and errands all electric and only use gas for the occasional longer trip.

20180908_163848899_iOS - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I did both. Got my X 100D at the end of March and a top trim Outlander for my wife last Friday. I had a Model 3 reservation but she doesn't really like low sedans and prefers something taller, and also really didn't want to go all-electric. So I asked for and received my 3 deposit back. So far, quite impressed with the Outlander for what it is and the price. I too wish it had a bit more EV range, but she should easily be able to do her daily commute and errands all electric and only use gas for the occasional longer trip.

View attachment 333744
This is a funny coincidence. I ordered the 3 for my wife (day one line up) as well but she wanted a small SUV so we bought a red GT for her in April. I'm looking at selling my S and getting a white 3 now. :)
We have spent $140 on fuel so far and driven over 7,000 km. She loves it.
My kids drive the Leaf....
IMG_8919.JPG

Reactions: GenSao and mknox