Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Mobile connector head too short?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a June 2018 Model 3. I have been using the mobile connector that came with the car to charge without problem for the last 4 years. Recently, I have friends with Model Y and Model X came over. When they used my mobile connector to charge, the port shows yellow and was not able to charge. This happened to both the X and Y. It seems like the part that goes into the charge port is just a bit too short and is not able to fully make contact. Has anyone encountered a similar issue? I am about to take delivery of a Model Y, and am wondering if I will need to change my charger if the old mobile connector will not be able to charge the Y.

Sometimes part of the plastic around the pins in your charge port will break off and stay behind in the handle. The result is that it works in your car, but not in others. You need to dig out the errant piece of plastic, and if you're still in warranty, have your charge inlet replaced.

You sometimes see this in Supercharger and destination charger handles where part of someone else's charge port is stuck in the handle.

Last edited: