Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 - [aftemarket ] Suspension failing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
I have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. I bought the car a year ago with 12k miles, and now has 36k miles.
It has developed a horrible creaking sound that comes from the suspension when coming to a stop or when taking off from a stop.
I took it to Tesla and they told me it has an aftermarket suspension with non OEM shocks/springs etc, and that the parts are failing.
They want to replace the entire suspension, plus 2 front tires and an alignment for about $3k

I suspected the car was modified when I bought it because it looked lowered. I believe the parts are UPP but I do not know. I believe the prior owner tracked the car.
Is there any reason to doubt Tesla and get a second opinion?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Forgot to mention, the two tires are worn on the insides due to the suspension, despite the fact that I put 4 new tires on about a year ago. That is the reason Tesla is recommending 2 new tires and an alignment.

Could it be possible that the suspension parts are indeed OK and it could be something like a control arm? i took it in thinking it was the control arms but tesla says the entire suspension is failing.

Hello all,
I have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. I bought the car a year ago with 12k miles, and now has 36k miles.
It has developed a horrible creaking sound that comes from the suspension when coming to a stop or when taking off from a stop.
I took it to Tesla and they told me it has an aftermarket suspension with non OEM shocks/springs etc, and that the parts are failing.
They want to replace the entire suspension, plus 2 front tires and an alignment for about $3k...
Sounds reasonable to me.

If it were me, I’d take some pics of the suspension parts and serial numbers (if you can find them) and contact UPP. They might be able to verify that it’s their parts and recommend a local shop to inspect everything. It could just be that the bushings just need to be replaced. Or just find a shop on your own and have them look it it.

Tesla is an oddity when it comes to service. There was a post a couple weeks ago about someone having suspension issues and Tesla refused to work on it since it had aftermarket parts. Now you show up with aftermarket parts and they’re willing fo work on it, but only by replacing everything.

Then there was the post about a sheared front sway bar stud and they wanted to replace the entire front suspension sub assembly.

Tesla service obviously isn’t in the business of repair. They are in the business of replace.

Hello all,
They want to replace the entire suspension, plus 2 front tires and an alignment for about $3k

I suspected the car was modified when I bought it because it looked lowered. I believe the parts are UPP but I do not know. I believe the prior owner tracked the car.
Is there any reason to doubt Tesla and get a second opinion?
if you can find out whether or not the 2018 and the 2022 model3 LR have the same suspension, I will send you my suspension I removed from my car...it has 8,000 miles on it...I will do this for you for free...all you have to do is pay the shipping.... This should save you money on parts.
Paying it forward for someone who helped me years ago.

Let me know... Potter

if you can find out whether or not the 2018 and the 2022 model3 LR have the same suspension, I will send you my suspension I removed from my car...it has 8,000 miles on it...I will do this for you for free...all you have to do is pay the shipping.... This should save you money on parts.

Let me know... Potter
That's awesome for you to do.

Reactions: E.Potter

Let me know... Potter
That's an awesome offer. The OP's car is RWD single motor though, I don't think fitting AWD dual motor suspension is a good idea. The handling balance and maybe ride height would be off I think, in bad ways (too much front stiffness, and possibly end up with rearward rake).

Reactions: emotiveeng
Forgot to mention, the two tires are worn on the insides due to the suspension, despite the fact that I put 4 new tires on about a year ago. That is the reason Tesla is recommending 2 new tires and an alignment.

Could it be possible that the suspension parts are indeed OK and it could be something like a control arm? i took it in thinking it was the control arms but tesla says the entire suspension is failing.
Did you have the car aligned when you had the tires replaced and how many miles ago was this?

If it is lowered (sounds like it is) and your alignment settings are off (specifically toe) it will certainly increase the rate of tire wear.

If you are looking to go back to all stock it isn't a terribly overpriced quote. Given labor rates in my area, that price sounds surprisingly ok for "dealership" pricing. Personally, I would be looking for a second opinion to diagnose where the sound is coming from. Not sure if you're anywhere near Powell, OH or if he'd be up to it, but Dan Howard at Tarmac88 is a performance suspension wizard.

OP if I were you, I would try to find someone selling their OEM suspension for cheap and just take it to an independent shop and have them install/align your car. There's really nothing special about the Model 3 suspension and it can be worked on by anyone who does suspension work, obviously try to find a shop that has worked on Teslas before so they jack the car up using the correct jack points.

If you want to stay with aftermarket suspension to keep your drop pick up some coilovers and have a independent shop install them.