Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 AP/NOA, FSD Beta vs 2021 Model Y Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model 3, dual motor, HW3 FSD, FSD Beta 2021.36.8.5, 99.7Kmiles
2021 Model Y, Dual Motor, AP

Yesterday I drove my daughters 2021 model y on autopilot. The trip was ~180 miles round trip comprised of highway and back country roads. I must say I was really impressed with the standard autopilot. It didn’t go into the turns hot, was very confident, didn’t experience issues in right lane on highway with a merge lane(s) coming in (slamming the brakes). No phantom braking next to trucks.

It did turn a little to sharp on a hard left turn on a back country two lane road and proceeded down the wrong side. That was a first for me with 3 years of Ap and NoA, never had that happen. Surprised seeing it's vision only. Less nagging, only once during the trip, only two phantom brake slow downs crossing a bridge, road changed from apshalt to cement on the bridge and back again. Very impressed with standard ap. Granted you have to manually turn the wheel after putting blinker on and it disengages ap. I did notice when you signal to change back to the lane and reengage ap it automatically turns signal off. Took me a awhile before I realized it did that. Nice you don’t have to turn signal off then reengage ap. Doesn’t stop for stop signs or red lights. Oops. Learning lump.

In fairness it is a new car and larger than the 3 so it obviously rides nicer, plus I’m comparing fsd beta to ap. I think I’ll try recalibrating the cameras in the model 3 this weekend and see if that makes any difference. End result I’m very impressed with ap or better said new model y with ap, it really worked very nicely.