Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3: CAN bus IDs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got a EVTV ESP32 CANDue board, and have been looking into analyzing data coming from the car (a Model 3 Performance). However, after running SavvyCAN (Home) and letting it run for a few minutes while I do various things like go forward, reverse, turn the lights on and off etc., none of the messages match those I've found online so far.

For example, one source of data is the Torque Pro PIDs file from EVTV Motor Verks Store: Tesla Model 3 OBDII Adapter, OEM Electric Vehicle Items, Model3OBDII - which says the vehicle speed should be on PID 0x010D.

Does anyone know if the PIDs have changed between revisions to the Model 3, or why they might otherwise not be matching up?

Can you post the info or where you got it? I'm looking at getting this package for my M3. I am wondering if I can listen to commands sent to the cabin heater and choose whether to forward commands to the cabin heater or not
Model 3 CAN bus IDs and data
That is all the currently known PIDs. Though Tesla has in the past hidden some of the values from us on the bus.

Can you post the info or where you got it? I'm looking at getting this package for my M3. I am wondering if I can listen to commands sent to the cabin heater and choose whether to forward commands to the cabin heater or not

In addition to the Google Docs page, there’s
Diagnostic Port and Data Access - Tesla Owners Online which had more information. The CAN bus isn’t something you can listen to and forward/block messages on, but you can send your own.

Reactions: narth327
I was thinking about doing a man in the middle between the cabin heater CAN connection and have a micro respond to commands from the CAN system master like the PTC heater would but then choose whether to actually forward them to the heater itself on a separate CAN transceiver isolated from the main CAN bus.

My Android phone App 'Scan My Tesla" recently could not connect to my OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner.

I always get a Socket error, I try to Pair/Unpair the Bluetooth connection, or to press on the little button on the top of the OBDLink MX+ device.

Everything was working fine previously. I wonder if there is any Tesla Software update making some new incompatibilities?

My Android phone App 'Scan My Tesla" recently could not connect to my OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner.

I always get a Socket error, I try to Pair/Unpair the Bluetooth connection, or to press on the little button on the top of the OBDLink MX+ device.

Everything was working fine previously. I wonder if there is any Tesla Software update making some new incompatibilities?
I'd assume the issue is something with your phone and the device.

My OBDLink LX continues working fine on my Pixel 5a. Do you have an ICE vehicle or friend or family member with one that you can plug the dongle and software and check?