Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 model 3 cannot charge at some level 2 station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My car is 2018 model 3 long range. I recently find that it cannot at some specific level 2 stations, where other model 3 cars can still charge.

I can charge at home from 220 V outlet using my mobile connector (it was given when I purchased the car) and most level 2 stations. But at some level 2 stations, my car shows charge error message (it shows car cannot charge or power error -- something like this). To be specific, these stations are a chargepoint station and a GE station. My friends teslas can charge at these stations. Also, my car can charge at other chargepoint and GE stations.

It was very weird and I am not sure why this happens. Can any one give me some clue? Thanks.

I'm assuming that you are using the Tesla J1772 adapter at those L2 stations. That would be my first point of suspicion. Swap your J1772 adapter with your friend's and see if that makes any difference at the ChargePoint or GE stations that you are getting the error messages on. If that doesn't solve your problem, then post a photo of the exact error message as that might give us a clue what the issue is.

Upvote 0
I have seen this in one CP station, I have used that before, and works fine, but recently it seems someone broke the locking latch to the Tesla adapter, and the J1772 is not properly seated, so it won't charge, if I push the adapter harder to the J1772 then it will start charging. I suspect someone is not happy with the Teslas sitting over the free charging stations for hours and breaking the latch ...

Upvote 0
There could be a few reasons why your Tesla Model 3 is unable to charge at certain Level 2 charging stations. Here are a few possibilities:

1. The charging station might be malfunctioning or not working properly. In this case, you should contact the charging network or the station owner to report the issue.
  2. The charging station might not be compatible with your Model 3. Some charging stations are only compatible with certain types of electric vehicles, and your Model 3 might not be able to charge at those stations.
  3. There could be an issue with the charging cable or adapter that you are using. Make sure that the cable and adapter are in good condition and are compatible with your Model 3.
  4. There could be a problem with the charging port on your Model 3. If you have tried all of the above steps and your Model 3 is still unable to charge at certain Level 2 stations, there might be an issue with the charging port on your car. In this case, it would be best to bring your Model 3 to a Tesla service center for further diagnosis.
I hope this information is helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Joseph
From Precision Auto Styling

Upvote 0
There's a very specific failure that can cause this kind of symptom. EV chargers (inside the car) use a diode on the pilot signal so that when it pulls it down to signal that power should be turned on, it only affects the positive part of the signal, which lets the EVSE (charging station) know that the plug is really connected to a car and not sitting in a puddle of water, for example. Some modern EVSEs rely on their GFCI capability and don't test for for the diode while others most definitely do. EVs whose diode has failed shorted will cause errors only on the more picky EVSEs. If it fails open the car won't be able to charge at all.

This is a tricky failure to get diagnosed, especially if it works on the equipment at the service center. Unfortunately, I don't know whether Tesla wall connectors and mobile connectors do the diode check.

Last edited:
Upvote 0