Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 Heat Broken After Installing 2022.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i ordered a used ptc from ebay and haven't installed yet. I wanted to check resistance first and here are the values I'm getting:

1960, 1467, 1690, 873, 885, 728

I don't know what to do with these so i guess I'll install and see if it works as is

Put the used one in and redeployed firmware. Ive got heat!👍

Just for fun, the faulty ptc heater I removed has resistance values : 1050, 987, 1008, 3230, 1083, and 934.

So your PTC fuse was not blown? Did both heaters have the same 'H' revision?

I got one PTC with intermittent heat:

1059 989 1164 843 751 764

used other one which I think is good but not tested it yet:

1103 968 1070 947 926 838

(Both H revisions)

Last edited:
I might try to isolate/disable the broken? element (showing resistance 3230) on the original PTC heater and see if that helps it kick back on. But we'll see how motivated I am to get back under the car and do the removal process again

Just want to add to this thread (but hopefully not add any confusion), that when I picked up my M3LR in December 2020, the heat stopped working halfway through our 7 hour drive home. It was very cold, thank God for the heated seats.

The interesting part is that the next morning I received a software update that *fixed* the heat. Then later in the day I got a call from the service center that my PT sensor(s) were defective which is why the heat stopped working.

The software update bypassed checking the sensors so it band aided the problem and allowed the heat to flow. (Unimportant, but they did replace the defective sensors weeks later). I was very impressed that they pushed an OTA software fix for a hardware issue.

The important part is that they're capable of, and definitely *do* resolve hardware issues using software updates. It goes without saying that it's inevitable they will also *cause* hardware issues with software updates, as well as uncover hardware issues with software updates, as well as eventually remove past software fixes (like mine) that were bypassing hardware issues.

I would not be surprised at all if this software update either caused the PTC heater failure or removed a prior patch that was hiding a hardware issue.

I just got my service quote for the heat not working. It worked in the morning but then after software update it failed. Same codes as others have mentioned. 2018 M3 LRawd 103k miles. An extra hour of labor for the low voltage circuit checks 😞

Attachments

• IMG_6146.png
    IMG_6146.png
    640.5 KB · Views: 23
I just got my service quote for the heat not working. It worked in the morning but then after software update it failed. Same codes as others have mentioned. 2018 M3 LRawd 103k miles. An extra hour of labor for the low voltage circuit checks 😞
Same happening here. Have a service appointment Thursday. Shall be interesting. Had an appointment after recent ota update for same but cancelled because it was working again and thought to be software related. Odd coincidence. Service mode also shows a low coolant error.

I have a 2018 Model 3 Performace I recently updated from a 2022.28 version to a 2022.44 version (I don't have wifi where I park). Shortly after (immediately?) running the update my heater stopped working. The fan blows but it blows cold. I was part of the group of people that had issues with the heater not working after an update last winter, but that was fixed with a subsequent update. I've updated the car again to 2022.44.30.10 and have rebooted the car using the steering wheel but the heat still isn't working.

In the HVAC menu I get a message "Climate keeper unavailable due to system fault" but am not showing any active alerts. However if I enter servic mode I'm showing two relevant alters, "VCRIGHT_a262_PTCFaulted" (PTC heater is faulted due to the reason set in the alert context data) and "VCRIGHT_a538_hvacSystemNotNominal" (The right vehicle controller (VCRIGHT) detects the HVAC system in not nominal due to a condition, which may cause Climate Keeper Mode functionality to be limited or unavailable.)

After running the second update I attempted to start the climate from the app to see if the heat would run, and it did for about 30 seconds heating the car up a few degrees, but turned itself off shortly afterward and now when I attempt to I get the message Climate On failed Climate failed to start.

Is this a problem anyone else has seen with this update? Is it possible the update caused this or is this just a PTC heater failure with coincidental timing?
Yes I have the same issue. Service center will fix for $1200usd. I had an appointment but after seeing this and other failures with the update I have pushed appointment in hopes I’ll be able to reboot or get another update.

Of course you still need to go through teslas high voltage disconnect procedure and verify at probing point on penthouse that high voltage has been properly disconnected.
Looking at your provided picture:

IMG_2009.jpeg

Assuming one follows all required high and low voltage Tesla safety protocols, could one simply undo the two high voltage connectors and the one ground connector (circled in red in the screenshot above), remove the defective PTC heater and replace it with a functional PTC heater by reconnecting the above three connection points, completely eliminating any requirement to get under the car and disconnect/remove any wire loom passing thru the firewall?

Edit: also disconnect/reconnect the low voltage connection at the lower right corner of the screenshot as well.

Same happening here. Have a service appointment Thursday. Shall be interesting. Had an appointment after recent ota update for same but cancelled because it was working again and thought to be software related. Odd coincidence. Service mode also shows a low coolant error.
And ptc heater replaced by tesla. $1600 Canadian dollars later. They also insisted on replacing the 12v battery as part of their process, even though it was replaced a year ago or less

Looking at your provided picture:

View attachment 1029961

Assuming one follows all required high and low voltage Tesla safety protocols, could one simply undo the two high voltage connectors and the one ground connector (circled in red in the screenshot above), remove the defective PTC heater and replace it with a functional PTC heater by reconnecting the above three connection points, completely eliminating any requirement to get under the car and disconnect/remove any wire loom passing thru the firewall?

Edit: also disconnect/reconnect the low voltage connection at the lower right corner of the screenshot as well.
I was wondering this myself, the only thing I would be concerned about is getting the appropriate torque on the nuts. I would think this may heat and cool as the heater comes on and off. So I was concerned they may lossen over time.

Reactions: navguy12
Another one chiming in here. 2020 Model 3 SR+ with 75,000kms (~47,000 miles) on the car. Tesla wants $1400.00 CAD for the replacement.

Everything worked fine with no signs of degradation until the 2024.3.10 update. Heater stopped working after the update. Tesla won't even humor a software update possibly caused issues or is the solution, all they are willing to do is the $1400.00 replacement of the unit.

So frustrating because the last software update, I got around Christmas, gave me 12V battery issue messages immediately after and I paid for a new 12V battery replacement at Tesla. The message came right back a day later, and it took another month and a couple more service visits for them to finally say it was a software issue and they pushed a different version to my car which got rid of the message. So, did I even need to buy a new battery?? Now I'm really not looking forward to spending $1400.00 to play this game again.

Somehow managed 4 years ownership without any issues, but because my warranty expired in late 2023, I'm now about to head in for a 4th service appointment. Typical.

• Informative
Reactions: ArcticStation