Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 LR RWD with only 64KWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. It gets only around 270 miles when I charge it up to 100%. When I take the listed effective range in the Energy graph, multiply it with the Wh/mi value and then divide it by the charge percent of the battery I always get to a battery of 64KWh.
Last night I charged it from 2% to 99% and according to TeslaFi and my smart power meter it used 64KWh.
With the new firmware 2020.4.1 this seems to be bumped up to 68KWh (The car now shows 249Wh/mi and a range of 276).
I drove the car 20000 miles so far. I have a hard time to believe this is normal battery degradation, especially since it dropped suddenly by a few dozen miles in the middle of last year.

Any idea why I don't see a higher capacity of my battery? Just bad luck? Or were there early 2018 Models (I got mine in July 2018) which had slightly smaller batteries?

Thanks

Does teslaFi show all battery uses? That is, the car screen only shows kWh used from driving. It does not include heating, lights, radio etc. could be what’s happening here.
I didn’t use the power used by the car but the power charged over night. And my smart power meter in the house showed the same amount. So it was able to charge only 63KWh from 2% to 98.5%. I would expect something around 74KWh for a LR RWD. Something is off but I don’t know what.

I didn’t use the power used by the car but the power charged over night. And my smart power meter in the house showed the same amount. So it was able to charge only 63KWh from 2% to 98.5%. I would expect something around 74KWh for a LR RWD. Something is off but I don’t know what.

Yeah not sure what percentage of the battery capacity is saved for reduced risk to the battery but 65 kWh seems somewhat low.

In the charging section of your app, how many miles does it say you will get if you put the slider to 100%?

Could you have the mid-range battery? It is 62kwh. And advertised a range of 264 miles.

What does your car info page show?
The car info says Long Range and I asked Tesla already a few times to make sure they didn’t accidentally change it to a MidRange via software. They insist that it’s a LongRange and not artificially limited to a MidRange. 64KWh would be a MidRange. I had the same thought.

Yeah not sure what percentage of the battery capacity is saved for reduced risk to the battery but 65 kWh seems somewhat low.

In the charging section of your app, how many miles does it say you will get if you put the slider to 100%?
Before 2020.4.1 it said 268 miles. After 2020.4.1 it’s around 280. So I gained something but not back to 325 where it should be (or slightly below this due to battery degradation)

Before 2020.4.1 it said 268 miles. After 2020.4.1 it’s around 280. So I gained something but not back to 325 where it should be (or slightly below this due to battery degradation)
Another stupid question, any chance you are looking at the projected range (shown on the energy graph) instead of rated range(shown next to the green battery icon)?

Projected range on the energy graph iakes into account temperature and driving style. Especially in the winter it will be way less than rated range. My projected range shows 202 right now, while rated range shows 300.

Last night I charged it from 2% to 99% and according to TeslaFi and my smart power meter it used 64KWh.

Your 64 kWh and adding 97% charge scales to 66 kWh. I just spot checked a number of my Teslafi charge data and they all scale to approximately 75 kWh to 78 kWh. I believe in viewing all these values as estimates, but 66 kWh is notably out of line from what I would expect.

Have you used Teslafi since you got the car? If so, how was it in the early days of your ownership?

Another stupid question, any chance you are looking at the projected range (shown on the energy graph) instead of rated range(shown next to the green battery icon)?

Projected range on the energy graph iakes into account temperature and driving style. Especially in the winter it will be way less than rated range. My projected range shows 202 right now, while rated range shows 300.

To calculate the battery size I don’t think it matters. With both pairs I get to 64KWh. To look at the range I have I look at the projected range to see how far I really will get. Now in winter it’s way shorter due to the cold weather in the Midwest. The rated range should always say something around 325 since it always assumes around 238Wh/mi.

my 2018 LR says 294 now
Your 64 kWh and adding 97% charge scales to 66 kWh. I just spot checked a number of my Teslafi charge data and they all scale to approximately 75 kWh to 78 kWh. I believe in viewing all these values as estimates, but 66 kWh is notably out of line from what I would expect.

Have you used Teslafi since you got the car? If so, how was it in the early days of your ownership?
my 2018 LR says 294 now

Unfortunately I didn’t. And it’s just doing the same math everyone can do. I also unfortunately didn’t write down the range or made a screen print at the first day I got the car. But I’m very certain it said 310 or I would have said something to Tesla right there. I’m a numbers guy and always look for math pattern or changes.

No cars have smaller batteries. It's possible one of the packs (there's 6 in the Model 3 LR, I think) is damaged? I know someone reported they had a battery issue where they were only getting like 220mi reported on a LR, and Tesla replaced the entire battery pack.

Usually I'd say don't worry about it, but 270mi reported on a LR RWD is really low.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
(The car now shows 249Wh/mi and a range of 276).

Do you mean that is what is displayed on the energy screen at 99% charge? That would be 69.4kWh or so.

270 miles when I charge it up to 100%.

For an LR RWD, that is 234Wh/rmi*270rmi = 63.18kWh

I would not trust TeslaFi reporting - it cannot know how much was drawn from the wall. For your wall measurement...
2-99% is 97% of 95.5% (the displayed % does not include the buffer which IS included in your calculation from your Energy Consumption screen) of your battery:

So that would be 0.97*0.955*63.2kWh = 58.5KWh.

58.5kWh/64kWh is 91.4%.

That is pretty good charging efficiency (in the EPA test they get 88% except for the SR which is slightly better due to no taper at 100% - see my spreadsheet on that). Do you use 40 or 48A charging?

In any case the wall measurement if accurate should project to about 10% higher than your actually battery capacity.

So it seems likely that your battery is about 63-64kWh at a full charge (and perhaps your recent improvement helped a little to eliminate some BMS error). You’d have to report your miles at a projected 100% (project from 90%) to say for sure.

Anyway, neglecting recent improvement, 63.2kWh vs about 78kWh when new; 19% capacity loss.

10% more for a warranty replacement!

Status
Not open for further replies.