Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 Performance - No Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently in the process of buying a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance from the original private owner, they just sent me the original window sticker, build date is 9/2018, autopilot is not listed on the window sticker, is it possible assuming it wasn't added afterwards that the car doesn't have basic autopilot?

Window Sticker.jpg

You're right to believe it may not have autopilot. I had a 2018 Model 3 before, and I was able to purchase autopilot at a discount since it was briefly available but the owner of the Model 3 you're looking at may not have taken advantage of the reduced price.

Upvote 0
I am currently in the process of buying a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance from the original private owner, they just sent me the original window sticker, build date is 9/2018, autopilot is not listed on the window sticker, is it possible assuming it wasn't added afterwards that the car doesn't have basic autopilot?

View attachment 741961

Yes, its absolutely possible (even likely) that the car does not have even basic autopilot. That did not become standard till april (ish) of 2019. The car will have the HARDWARE for it, "Autopilot" did not even exist as an option in 2018, you only had ENHANCED autopilot, and adding FSD on top of that.

So, no lane keeping at all. You will be able to buy it, but I dont know how much they will charge you for autopilot. I think it will be around 2k for that but I am not sure. Sorry in advance if someone already spelled this out, I hit reply after seeing the post.

As for your question "does anyone have a 2018 performance with no autopilot", the answer is "Everyone, who didnt buy Enhanced autopilot for 5k at that time". You will not find very many 2018 teslas with "Autopilot". They will have nothing, enhanced autopilot, or FSD (and if no FSD, no hardware 3.0, so no enhanced visualizations).

Upvote 0
I had a 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor that had autopilot but not enhanced autopilot. It came that way from Tesla. I guess things change all the time.
Basic autopilot didn't exist before 2019, and the only autopilot options for a 2018 Tesla (at the time) were enhanced autopilot and FSD. I don't know how you could have a 2018 with basic autopilot unless you added it later.

Upvote 0
This was my old 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor with Autopilot

View attachment 742173

Did you buy that car new, from tesla, in 2018? Or, did you buy it used from someone in 2019 (specifically, after april of 2019)? As has been said a couple times, "Autopilot" as an option did not exist in 2018 so it could NOT have been purchased new, in 2018, on a 2018 model year car.

If you bought that 2018 performance you are looking at, that has nothing, you could buy autopilot on it NOW, and then if you sold it, the next person would have "Autopilot", on a 2018 performance.

Your original question was " is it normal for a 2018 car not to have autopilot?" and the answer is uncategorically YES because autopilot as a package was not a thing in 2018.

Upvote 0

View attachment 741961
My P3D sticker is similar, however it does have FSD, FUPC, and briefly had FUSC (this was removed about 2 months after autocheck showed my registering the car)

Upvote 0
you have said this twice in this thread now, but I would like to confirm that you purchased that 2018, directly from tesla, sometime after the end of march 2019 (either used, or left over new stock).

Is that correct?

Yes I purchased my Dual Motor in Feb 2021 from Tesla.

Any one think I will see a noticeable power difference between my old Dual Motor with Acceleration Boost and the Model 3 Performance I am purchasing now?

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Yes I purchased my Dual Motor in Feb 2021 from Tesla.

Any one think I will see a noticeable power difference between my old Dual Motor with Acceleration Boost and the Model 3 Performance I am purchasing now?

If you were one to want to "get on it, at a red light" yes. Otherwise, maybe not that much. The only real difference is 0-60. I have a performance, but from everything I have read, the cars are virtually identical from a roll at, say, 30MPH or something.

TL ; DR. Full throttle from a stop, yes. Otherwise, probably not that much.

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
If you were one to want to "get on it, at a red light" yes. Otherwise, maybe not that much. The only real difference is 0-60. I have a performance, but from everything I have read, the cars are virtually identical from a roll at, say, 30MPH or something.

TL ; DR. Full throttle from a stop, yes. Otherwise, probably not that much.
Giggle factor is there but doing it all over again I probably would have just bought another LR RWD for range purposes.

I’m still annoyed Tesla never brought the LR RWD Y to market.

Upvote 0