Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 Rear Axle Damage accident total or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model 3 Long Range was hit by the rear driver side and the tire is tilted. I'm sure the axle is damaged and will need to be replaced as well as all the panels, bumpers, wheels, tires, battery cover, etc.

The car already has one record of accident that costed $18000 in repair 3 years ago and this is its second one.

It currently has 65000 miles on it.

Now is my car repairable or totaled?

IMG_5801.jpg

Sorry to see this :(
I got a hit and run last summer which resulted in almost exactly the same type of damage. It was entirely covered by the insurance after the evaluation, and it came very close to a total loss. Eventually my M3 was repaired and not deemed a total loss, but the cost was very, very high: 19,000$. Not to mention that it took two months to repair. 👿
Your best bet is to wait for the damage evaluation.

Sorry to see this :(
I got a hit and run last summer which resulted in almost exactly the same type of damage. It was entirely covered by the insurance after the evaluation, and it came very close to a total loss. Eventually my M3 was repaired and not deemed a total loss, but the cost was very, very high: 19,000$. Not to mention that it took two months to repair. 👿
Your best bet is to wait for the damage evaluation.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes I'm more worried about the length of repair. Our insurance covers up to $40 a day for a total of $1200 which is only about a month of rental.

Aside from the quarter panel and bumper, the suspension subassembly is all bolt on parts, so if the frame rails aren't damaged, it shouldn't be too bad to repair. It can be fixed, only issue is the cost. And with vehicle prices as high as they are these days, that works in your favor to raise the total amount needed to call it a total loss.

And even if it were a total loss, you could either repair it yourself if it's just bolt-on parts, or part out the whole car. The battery is expensive and valuable, as are other pieces. Some auto body place would buy it dirt cheap at auction and sell the parts for big profits, so it might as well be you making those profits, amirite? I would if it were me!