Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 vs. 2019 & 2020 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi There!

Found a great deal on a Tesla used inventory Model 3 built in September 2018 (with AP 3). My question is pretty straight-forward...

Compared to the 2018 Model 3, is there a better Computer/Processor in the 2019 or 2020 Model 3s or is it the same physical hardware?

I saw that in 2018 there were slight modifications to the Model 3's suspension, infrared glass ceiling, rear seats & USBs... but how about the actual computer systems on-board? As far as I can tell, they are the same... even after studying the stickers for both a 2018 and 2020 (the stickers are nearly identical).

Thinking of pulling the trigger and wondering

Thank you!!!!
Justin

Hi There!

Found a great deal on a Tesla used inventory Model 3 built in September 2018 (with AP 3). My question is pretty straight-forward...

Compared to the 2018 Model 3, is there a better Computer/Processor in the 2019 or 2020 Model 3s or is it the same physical hardware?

I saw that in 2018 there were slight modifications to the Model 3's suspension, infrared glass ceiling, rear seats & USBs... but how about the actual computer systems on-board? As far as I can tell, they are the same... even after studying the stickers for both a 2018 and 2020 (the stickers are nearly identical).

Thinking of pulling the trigger and wondering

Thank you!!!!
Justin

I dont know what you mean by the statement "with AP3". A 2018 tesla model 3 came standard with Hardware 2.5. If the car had FSD, its possible it got upgraded to Hardware 3.0. Neither of those are "Autopilot 3" or "AP3".

The answer to your question of, is there a better computer / processor in a 2019 or 2020 than in a 2018, the answer to that would depend on if the 2018 had FSD and was upgraded. So, possibly, yes a 2019 (after april of 2019) or 2020 tesla model 3 should have Hardware version 3, while earlier ones did not come with hardware 3 (but could have it depending on if they had the FSD upgrade done).

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
The 2020s have the most fixes from issues found in the 18s and 19s. The 19s starting from June have the newest version 3.0 hardware. Don't know if the MCU processor changed from the Atom they have now. I think the 2018 had the Atom also but at a little slower MHz.