Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model: Persistent Software Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

My apologies if this has been discussed in another thread already.

I am curious if this issue is more widespread than my 2018 Model X.

A few months after purchasing the car new, the software started malfunctioning randomly. Issues include, but not limited to:
- Car not starting up after entering
- Turn signals not working (the arrow on the display shows as though they are working, but in reality, nothing is blinking on the outside of the car)
- Touch screen door controls not working
- The touch screen randomly turning off while driving and rebooting itself

Here's two short videos of this happening recently: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XCNDWg4g4psViTCW7

I have taken the car to the Tesla Service numerous times and they always say that there is no hardware issue and I should reset the car and wait for a firmware update.
With the recent screen replacement campaign, I again took the car to the service center with hopes they would finally replace it. Unfortunately, I got the same response as before:
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 11.01.02 AM.png

Is this common? Has anyone been able to get this fixed?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Paul

It sounds like you have an early 2018 vehicle with MCU1. You can either upgrade to MCU2, get your entire MCU replaced or just replace the daughterboard. MCU2 swap would cost around $2500 and give you tons of new functionality. MCU swap would probably cost about half that. Daughterboard swap would cost $300 to $500...or might be free if still covered under warranty. Unfortunately, depending on the service center, it can be hard to get the eMMC replaced under warranty unless it totally dies. You could offer to pay the $300 (parts and labor) but sometimes they require a diagnostic first (additional $200) before they will swap it out.

If you plan on keeping the car for several years, the MCU2 upgrade is the way to go. You might be able to get it for $2250 if you don't need a new screen. Otherwise it is $2500 but you lose FM/XM. If you wanted to keep the radio, it would cost another $500.

Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500
Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500
Tesla Covering MCU1 Issues!!