Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S 100D without AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to buy a a 2018 Tesla Model S 100D from Carvana. This particular vehicle was manufactured in early March 2018 and is not equipped with AutoPilot (no B pillar cameras).

- Does Tesla offer a retrofit option to make these cars AP and/or FSD capable? If so, how much?

- Does Tesla still offer an upgrade option for the MCU 1 electronics? If so, how much?

Thank you very much!

All 2018 Tesla cars were manufactured with autopilot hardware and will have all of the necessary cameras.

Yes, the infotainment upgrade is still available.

Are you sure about this? The car I’m looking at does not have B pillar cameras.

Upvote 0
Would you mind taking a look?

The VIN indicates that is it a 2018 and was manufactured in the first week of March (give or take a week)
I can't see much in those pics on my phone. All I can tell you for certain is that there is no such thing as a 2018 Model S that came from the factory without B pillar cameras and everything else necessary for autopilot.

Upvote 0
The car I’m looking at does not have B pillar cameras.

What are you looking at to say the car does not have the B pillar cameras???

Would you mind taking a look?

The VIN indicates that is it a 2018 and was manufactured in the first week of March (give or take a week)

If you look at the main, rotatable picture, you can clearly tell the side markers behind the front fenders are not flat, but more of a pent shaped. Those are where the two side mounted rear facing cameras are located.

Picture number three shows the main screen with the two small inset frames being pictures from two of the side cameras.

It's really difficult to see the cameras in the B pillars in photos like these. They are mounted behind the panel, so even in person the panel looks flat without any real visual of the cameras from the distance that the side photos were taken. You need to get photo close up with just the right angle and lighting to even be able to see that the cameras are mounted behind the B pillar. Unless someone intentionally takes photos in just those right conditions, you'll never be able to see them.

So I agree this is a 2018 car and would have the 8-camera system capable of FSD. What I cannot tell from any of the photos is if it's been upfit with the FSD computer (that's unlikely if EAP or FSD were not purchased). You may also want to try and confirm if it has MCU2. I think this car is right around the timeframe of that changeover. You'll need it to have good sentry/dashcam functionality if that's desired.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Upvote 0
A 2018 will have MCU2 if manufactured in March or later (but there may be mix within March itself). You should also have AP2.5 which has some minor benefits (better cameras). I purchased mine with EAP, which frankly has all the best features of AP that actually work (lane change and summon, in addition to base AP of auto steering / speed). But EAP (or FSD) may not carry over depending on previous ownership (if it was resold through Tesla at some point).

Unfortunately the 2018s also tend to get slight yellowing around edges of screen, which can be fixed with UV treatment.

Upvote 0
A 2018 will have MCU2 if manufactured in March or later (but there may be mix within March itself). You should also have AP2.5 which has some minor benefits (better cameras). I purchased mine with EAP, which frankly has all the best features of AP that actually work (lane change and summon, in addition to base AP of auto steering / speed). But EAP (or FSD) may not carry over depending on previous ownership (if it was resold through Tesla at some point).

Unfortunately the 2018s also tend to get slight yellowing around edges of screen, which can be fixed with UV treatment.
Yes, this particular car's screen is exhibiting some yellowing, in addition to what look like a handful of stuck pixels.

Upvote 0
It's really difficult to see the cameras in the B pillars in photos like these. They are mounted behind the panel, so even in person the panel looks flat without any real visual of the cameras from the distance that the side photos were taken. You need to get photo close up with just the right angle and lighting to even be able to see that the cameras are mounted behind the B pillar. Unless someone intentionally takes photos in just those right conditions, you'll never be able to see them.
Agree with this, although many, many other Carvana photos exhibit an obvious camera aperture on the B pillar. I think that you're right; it's simply the lighting & angles.

Upvote 0