Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S 75D - are these good?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please bear with me as I’m new to the Model S world and looking to get into one.

Been focusing on late 2016 and 2017 but found 2018 75D’s in the low- to mid- $40K with just 36K miles.

Generally speaking, are the 2018 75D’s a good choice in terms of reliability? Or is 2017 better? Wish I can afford a 100D or newer but they’re still quite a stretch for my budget.

Thanks!

So the problem your facing is that it's an expensive car that is going (gone?) off warranty. It could be just fine, but it also could end up being expensive. Potential large expenditures are battery and drive units, less expensive (but not trivial) are things like displays, suspension etc. This isn't all that much different from buying any other used expensive cars, repairs can be a significant cost. What is somewhat different is that there a fewer non-dealer shops working on these cars so lesser cost repair options are less common if not non-existent. If you can afford a future $15K repair cost, then you'll likely love the car and hopefully you wouldn't have to cough large $ in the near future.

Last edited:
I just bought an 2018 Model S 75D with 65,000 miles for a little over $38,000 so with the miles on the one you're looking at that about right. Still have 3 years left on the battery and motors.

Oh and if the 18 you're looking at was built after March like mine was you'll get the MCU2 which is much snappier and video streaming. Mine also had FSD, which I'm having fun playing with, and transferred over to me with no issues.

Last edited:
So the problem your facing is that it's an expensive car that is going (gone?) off warranty. It could be just fine, but it also could end up being expensive. Potential large expenditures are battery and drive units, less expensive (but not trivial) are things like displays, suspension etc. This isn't all that much different from buying any other used expensive cars, repairs can be a significant cost. What is somewhat different is that there a fewer non-dealer shops working on these cars so lesser cost repair options are less common if not non-existent. If you can afford a future $15K repair cost, then you'll likely love the car and hopefully you wouldn't have to cough large $ in the near future.
Agreed. Huge consideration, definitely. It’s a gamble.

I think 2018-2020 Model S are probably the high point for reliability in the whole model line. 75D plenty fast at ~4 sec 0-60. At least 3 more years of drive unit and battery warranty. If I needed another S right now that’s probably where I’d be looking.
Should go through 2026 for battery and drive unit warranty. The basic warranty already expired.

The 75D should be enough for the next few years since the superchargers are plentiful nowadays plus CCS availability as well.

I just bought an 2018 Model S 75D with 65,000 miles for a little over $38,000 so with the miles on the one you're looking at that about right. Still have 3 years left on the battery and motors.

Oh and if the 18 you're looking at was built after March like mine was you'll get the MCU2 which is much snappier and video streaming. Mine also had FSD, which I'm having fun playing with, and transferred over to me with no issues.
The one I’m looking at is a 02/18 build.
It has FSD, Premium connectivity, MCU2 and the smart air suspension. Doesn’t have the cold climate and premium sound though 😒. Also has the panoramic sunroof.

Hopefully those components behave themselves for a long while.

If you read the OP's post, he's comparing it to a 2016/2017 Model S, so warranty is not worse on a 2018 (1-2 years more battery and drive unit warranty at the very least).

Please bear with me as I’m new to the Model S world and looking to get into one.

Been focusing on late 2016 and 2017 but found 2018 75D’s in the low- to mid- $40K with just 36K miles.

Generally speaking, are the 2018 75D’s a good choice in terms of reliability? Or is 2017 better? Wish I can afford a 100D or newer but they’re still quite a stretch for my budget.

Thanks!
Too bad you weren't looking a week ago. I had a 2015 P85DL+ for sale with 48K miles and all a bunch of extras, in the low to mid 40's.

Last edited:
I do it all the time!
I thought that your car did not had the cold weather package (mine doesn’t have it too) and if you do drive without climate control then how much does you then gain on your drives? I have dual drive model so I can select Range mode and I set the temperature on my drives to 19°C (below zero outside temp.). But if there are passengers onboard then I do need to crank up the HVAC speed as otherwise I have very limited visibility through windows. This have helped me to get average consumption just under 21kWh/100km. Above zero temperatures (in winter) it’s around 19kWh/100km. Of course all is about the terrain, wind and speed.

I do not have the cold weather pkg, unfortunately. Early on, I estimated that if I drove w/o cabin heat, cold winter temps reduced my range by about 15% (I was estimating this based on a highway trip I take regularly for work). This is in Chill mode, driving pretty conservatively. Since I typically don't use the cabin heat, I'm not sure how much more I would lose with the heat on, but my understanding is that it's more like 25-40%.

I agree that the reason I've been able to do this is b/c of no passengers fogging up the windows.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
I do not have the cold weather pkg, unfortunately. Early on, I estimated that if I drove w/o cabin heat, cold winter temps reduced my range by about 15% (I was estimating this based on a highway trip I take regularly for work). This is in Chill mode, driving pretty conservatively. Since I typically don't use the cabin heat, I'm not sure how much more I would lose with the heat on, but my understanding is that it's more like 25-40%.

I agree that the reason I've been able to do this is b/c of no passengers fogging up the windows.
Why Chill vs. Range mode?