Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S 75D - are these good?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks all for the comments.

I ended up placing an order for a 2018 75D which has EAP, the subzero package, premium package, smart air suspension, MCU2 amongst others.
This should get me through a good few years
Still got one of those. Plan on keeping it for another few years. Works great. The only expensive thing which luckily I caught just before the warranty expired was the the headlights - most DRL LEDs burned out. You might want to check it out before you take delivery, those things are $2,400 for a pair IIRC.

Still got one of those. Plan on keeping it for another few years. Works great. The only expensive thing which luckily I caught just before the warranty expired was the the headlights - most DRL LEDs burned out. You might want to check it out before you take delivery, those things are $2,400 for a pair IIRC.
Yeah, definitely one of the things I am planning on checking along with the upper brake light, air suspension which seem to be the expensive fixes.
I order from Tesla so have 1 year/10K miles to get any warranty items fixed.

I love my 2018. Wouldn't trade it in for the world because it's got a sunroof, which they don't make anymore. just wish it was a 100D
I'm replacing my 2019 M3 LR RWD with the 2018 S75D, also with the sunroof, which I think is going to be great not counting the lesser range.
But I don't find that being a problem for me.
Would love a 100D but can't stretch my budget enough to get one yet.

Found and test drove a 2018 S100D with FSD from a dealer, reasonably priced, but already found 3 issues with it that needs to be fixed and besides, the dealer jacked up the price by adding fees so I stormed out of the dealership :)

Last edited:
I just bought an 2018 Model S 75D with 65,000 miles for a little over $38,000 so with the miles on the one you're looking at that about right. Still have 3 years left on the battery and motors.

Oh and if the 18 you're looking at was built after March like mine was you'll get the MCU2 which is much snappier and video streaming. Mine also had FSD, which I'm having fun playing with, and transferred over to me with no issues.
When was the MCU2 put in place?

Hi, am I reading these thread correctly...that the acceptable range of a 2018 S 75D of 222 miles is appropriate after 4 years? That is what our range currently reads. but when purchased with a 260mi range figure and expecting 5% degradation over the first 5 years we are disappointed and have complained numerous times to Tesla, with of course, not movement.

We look to have an average of just over 310 wh/mi. Is this consumption rate high for the year and model?

Hi, am I reading these thread correctly...that the acceptable range of a 2018 S 75D of 222 miles is appropriate after 4 years? That is what our range currently reads. but when purchased with a 260mi range figure and expecting 5% degradation over the first 5 years we are disappointed and have complained numerous times to Tesla, with of course, not movement.

We look to have an average of just over 310 wh/mi. Is this consumption rate high for the year and model?
Consumption is normal. Degradation is pretty normal.

The battery warranty has no degradation coverage at all, so unsurprising Tesla isn’t doing anything for you. They aren’t going to.

I don’t know if that’s appropriate . My 2016 S75D with 106000 miles gets 228mi on a full charge . I do get near break even range in California for most of the year - I’ve driven NorCal-SoCal round trips with family and dog averaging around 270Wh/mi doing regular I5 speeds. I haven’t used range mode in years but use Chill Mode most of the time. The worst I’ve gotten doing that road trip is around 310 Wh/mi in mid winter with rain involved.

I don’t know if that’s appropriate . My 2016 S75D with 106000 miles gets 228mi on a full charge . I do get near break even range in California for most of the year - I’ve driven NorCal-SoCal round trips with family and dog averaging around 270Wh/mi doing regular I5 speeds. I haven’t used range mode in years but use Chill Mode most of the time. The worst I’ve gotten doing that road trip is around 310 Wh/mi in mid winter with rain involved.
My 2016 S75 has a lifetime efficiency of 315 wh/mi over 170,000 California miles.

The 75D is ever so slightly more efficient so I think 310wh/mi as a year-round average is right where it should be.

Yes I can do better (and do for half the year, on long trips, etc).

My 2016 S75 has a lifetime efficiency of 315 wh/mi over 170,000 California miles.

The 75D is ever so slightly more efficient so I think 310wh/mi as a year-round average is right where it should be.

Yes I can do better (and do for half the year, on long trips, etc).
Sounds about right for city plus highway. If it helps compare, I’ve been on MXM4 Allseasons for about 75% of my mileage.

Please bear with me as I’m new to the Model S world and looking to get into one.

Been focusing on late 2016 and 2017 but found 2018 75D’s in the low- to mid- $40K with just 36K miles.

Generally speaking, are the 2018 75D’s a good choice in terms of reliability? Or is 2017 better? Wish I can afford a 100D or newer but they’re still quite a stretch for my budget.

Thanks!
2018 is
Thanks all for the comments.

I ended up placing an order for a 2018 75D which has EAP, the subzero package, premium package, smart air suspension, MCU2 amongst others.
This should get me through a good few years

I'm replacing my 2019 M3 LR RWD with the 2018 S75D, also with the sunroof, which I think is going to be great not counting the lesser range.

Found and test drove a 2018 S100D with FSD from a dealer, reasonably priced, but already found 3 issues with it that needs to be fixed and besides, the dealer jacked up the price by adding fees so I stormed out of the dealership :)
Congrats on your S75D! The 2018 is one of the best years to own according to Consumer Reports Model S reliability chart. Hope you're enjoying it!

I know you got what you needed already but damn if you waited 2 months... there's 90D's and 100D's for like high 30s low 40s DAMN!

I'm at 226 range on a feb 2018 build. Avg is 328 wh/mi (go go cold weather!). My highest ever recorded was 254 when new, so I've roughly lost 10% over 5 years.

As a fellow MA driver - the one thing I regret that I don't have in the used S I bought (2014) is the cold climate package. That package makes it very possible to drive in cold temps without the cabin heater on, and thus get the most range in cold temps.
That cold weather pkg is a no brainer for me, I am in IA. 2017 Model S75D, February build w/ FSD, Unlimited Premium Connectivity, Panoramic Sunroof, Smart Air, Cold Weather Pkg, & the Premium Upgrade Package that included the ventilated seats... I lucked out big time when I found mine used out of TX in 08/2021 with the upgrades it has, but the value unfortunately has dropped a lot since then. Mine was still on MCU1 & AP2.0 when I got it, but that has now been upgraded to MCU2 & HW3.0. When I got my 75D, I was flipping back and forth between this one, and another 75D with EAP, but had MCU2 upgraded already. That one didn't have the Cold Weather package, PUP, Panoramic Sunroof, or Smart Air.

I got kinda screwed on timing with my purchase though with the damn near full pandemic used inflation. In late 2020 I was itching to pull the trigger on a MYLR, and planned to do so the second week of January 2021. Well...on January 2nd, the engine on my previous vehicle, a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, seized up. I was needing the trade-in value from that car as part of the down payment and I couldn't just proceed without it. The Hyundai should have been covered under the 10yr/100k warranty but the stealership lied when I bought it used by telling me it was a CPO (which qualified it for the full warranty) but it wasn't, so the warranty would have dropped to 5yr/60k, which would have expired. I found a recall (20V746000) was submitted to NHTSA in December 2020 for the exact cause of the engine failure. I then had to fight with the stealership to get them to even contact Hyundai for the recall, which took almost a month to have approved. I tried to have them buy the vehicle from me at the current used value, which they refused, so I had to wait for the new engine to be installed. Fast forward 7 months after the engine had seized, I finally get my car back. At this point the Model Y was more than 10K higher than it was at the beginning of the year, and out of my price range. Before I could find a used Model Y that was in budget, a deer ran out in front of my Sonata Hybrid, which was then totaled by my insurance company. Silver lining on that though was that I ended up getting almost 50% more than the cars value in January, as used prices had increased so much.

As a fellow MA driver - the one thing I regret that I don't have in the used S I bought (2014) is the cold climate package. That package makes it very possible to drive in cold temps without the cabin heater on, and thus get the most range in cold temps.
I have the cold weather package but i do not see that it makes enough difference to avoid use of the cabin heater. It adds steering wheel heater -- that is for driver comfort, so you wear gloves. It adds rear seat heaters, but that only matters if you have rear seat passengers. And it adds the windshield wiper windshield heat strip, which is helpful in some snowy conditions but otherwise would not make a difference. What am I missing?

I have the cold weather package but i do not see that it makes enough difference to avoid use of the cabin heater. It adds steering wheel heater -- that is for driver comfort, so you wear gloves. It adds rear seat heaters, but that only matters if you have rear seat passengers. And it adds the windshield wiper windshield heat strip, which is helpful in some snowy conditions but otherwise would not make a difference. What am I missing?
Even with gloves, I can tell that I would appreciate the heated steering wheel - that's why I wish I had the cold weather package. In terms of not fogging up the windows with the cabin heat off, it's just been my experience that if I'm driving solo, I can usually avoid the fogging. Maybe I'm just lucky in that regard.