Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S 75D "Bricked" after software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience. On Monday night, 09/10/2018, I received a software update for my 2018 Model S. After receiving notice on my phone that the update was complete, I tried to start the car with no luck.

I tried several soft reboots with support but only the instrument panel would come up. The car remained off and the main screen would not turn on even though support had remote access to the car at all times.

Eventually I had it towed to the shop where they are still troubleshooting it.

Anyway, just wandering if anyone else has seen the same thing.

Nope never happened to me ..also helpful if u display version u updated to

Never happened to me either, but now I want to cancel my update that's scheduled for tonight. Does the 'software update available' window actually tell you the version to which your car will be updated? Seems to me that you don't actually know until you have already installed the update, but maybe I'm missing something (entirely likely).

Never happened to me either, but now I want to cancel my update that's scheduled for tonight. Does the 'software update available' window actually tell you the version to which your car will be updated? Seems to me that you don't actually know until you have already installed the update, but maybe I'm missing something (entirely likely).

After the update will show on ur app..honestly I wouldn’t worry at all not sure if this was a serious post anyway in five years ..over 3 Tesla’s has never happened this after doing major updates as well as many minor ones ..just do the update and assume this is a short post ;)

After the update will show on ur app..honestly I wouldn’t worry at all not sure if this was a serious post anyway in five years ..over 3 Tesla’s has never happened this after doing major updates as well as many minor ones ..just do the update and assume this is a short post ;)

I'm not sure how I can prove that my car is bricked because of the update, but it did. The update also prevented mobile access for my app.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.PNG
    IMG_0043.PNG
    307.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and Danny_
I'm not sure how I can prove that my car is bricked because of the update, but it did. The update also prevented mobile access for my app.

You can reenable from the MCU settings in car

In general after update

1)reboot mcu
2) sometimes an update will turn off settings ..in your case looks like toggled off allow remote access in the settings

Your car is fine not “bricked” that term is not kindly thought of here ;)

There are quite a few reports about failed updates in the past few days. Mine (90D) is refusing updates at the Servicecenter at the moment. I have little to no Details about it, except that the issue couldn't have been fixed within a day..

You can reenable from the MCU settings in car

In general after update

1)reboot mcu
2) sometimes an update will turn off settings ..in your case looks like toggled off allow remote access in the settings

Your car is fine not “bricked” that term is not kindly thought of here ;)
Very strange comment. This is not personal, it simply happened to my car. After troubleshooting with support, and several soft reboots, we could not get the main screen to come on. There were no setting to adjust because the computer was not accessible. Again, I do not understand your personalizing this post. It's just a matter of fact and all I'm looking for is simulated instances if any. Tesla has had the car and is still troubleshooting it so I have no explanation from them.

Reactions: neroden
There are quite a few reports about failed updates in the past few days. Mine (90D) is refusing updates at the Servicecenter at the moment. I have little to no Details about it, except that the issue couldn't have been fixed within a day..

It defiantly sounds like a bad update. The shop in Roseville, CA just sent me a text letting me know that they are still troubleshooting. I'll post the results when I have it.

Reactions: neroden
years ago i got a software update on our S60 that somehow got messed up midway through the process. the result was that the car would not shut down, even when parked and doors closed. it was running all day long and using battery.

i know it's not the same scenario as yours, but it is possible for the updates to experience a problem during installation, just like a Windows or OS X update can.

in my situation, they immediately sent a mobile service ranger to my home that evening (after biz hours) and hooked up the car to a laptop and rolled back the computer to the last working version and then successfully reinstalled the latest update. that is the only time i've had issues with an update. i am more paranoid now and only do updates at 1am instead of during the day even if i have time. i don't want to risk interrupting the update.

good luck with the fix; i am sure they will get it figured out ASAP and get the latest version on there.

Reactions: nsaechow
the exact definition of bricked would be irreversible and that's why people here are taking it as an offense that it doesn't meet that 'urban dictionary' definition.

but honestly for all practical purposes yes, his car was bricked. the software update rendered his car completely dead to the point it had to be towed back to the manufacturer. don't think the OP is being dramatic at all.

Seriously. If your phone or your computer get into a state where they do not turn on and have to be returned to the manufacturer for emergency repairs, are you saying you aren't going to call them "bricked"? I mean, maybe "permanently, irrecoverably bricked" is even worse, but given everything on the car could be taken off and replaced if cost were not a concern (computers, battery, drive units, really everything) it's not even clear that condition exists.

I guess some are claiming that bricked now means complete physical meltdown - car turns into a solid lump of metal and plastic in a cube shape - not repairable even when towed to the manufacturer? :confused:

I think some people are taking the term "brick" too literally. If it requires the manufacturer to physically access the product to restore its primary basic functionality, it's bricked.

Pin to Drive here with 2016 75D, I have to re-Start the car with the app. The pin pad does not come up after leaving the house. So I deselected it and it still for a day required me to start with app.

I'm thankful I could do that 4 times now. It seems to have abated all the while now its still deselected. Update came Saturday night so I updated car Sunday morning knowing it would not take long. Definitely something wrong with it.

It seems if you go somewhere and not get out of the car and put in park. Then sometime later start going again no pin pad. Getting out of the car a short while with door open then getting back in, no pin pad. Updates are great usually, but I cringe from now not knowing what I will get.
SC alerted by email with pics. Waiting for 25k service to take it in. No replies as I am sure they are snowed under with model 3 deliveries ETC.

It happens. Awesome weekend with a brick in my driveway. : teslamotors I have been seeing Model 3 owner reports of software updates causing problems. More cars on the road, the more this will be seen. I know a software update was the last straw on our Model S MCU in our P85D that caused it to fail. We could still drive, but no AC, no radio, no maps, etc. Had to have it replaced.

Software updates are Teslas best and worst feature at the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: GreenT and cwerdna