Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S Gen 3 door handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model S 75 D Gen 3 door handle quit.
I replaced my Gen 3 door handle with a new Gen 3 door handle and control module. New door handle installed with no issue. However new door handle won’t auto present, but when I push on the handle the door does open. Does this require a calibration/firmware update, or was I sold a defective part?

Any luck on finding directions for a DIY calibration?

Is a calibration necessary if you replace the door handle control unit module (image attached)?

Attachments

• 60ADF38C-1AFD-43AA-9DCE-F8A500148A9D.jpeg
    60ADF38C-1AFD-43AA-9DCE-F8A500148A9D.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 769
Upvote 0
Sorry to hear about all the problems with unreliable door handles on the Model S. I'm collecting data on the unreliable door handle issue so please feel free to provide me with any information you can. I'm working to remove the burden of the unreliable door handle issue from the customer and transfer that burden to Tesla.

Upvote 0
I think mine was a total of 20 bucks. The invoice shows them checking all the tire pressures and such and then they used the term general closures I think it was just a formal way to get the car checked in under something so they could do it.

Attachments

• 0EF2DE22-307D-441E-A9A1-BA818206A714.jpeg
    0EF2DE22-307D-441E-A9A1-BA818206A714.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 460
Upvote 0
Thanks for this post. I’m a newbie here - having bought a 2018 Tesla S.
am experiencing the same problem and have a service engineer coming Monday to
Retrofit a Gen 3 door handle. Will make sure to ask him about the door calibration issue - or at the very least make sure he can demonstrate that it’s working before he drives off again!
Will share my experiences

Upvote 0
@Angloswissguy
ha ha those guys are typically fast. He will have it done and working in no time. I think door handles is their bread and butter kind of job, they do often. I would suggest make sure your happy with the “depth“ adjustment on the handle before he starts to close it all up.
If you watch him do the job you may realize you can DIY this someday once out of warranty if necessary.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear about all the problems with unreliable door handles on the Model S. I'm collecting data on the unreliable door handle issue so please feel free to provide me with any information you can. I'm working to remove the burden of the unreliable door handle issue from the customer and transfer that burden to Tesla.
2015 Model S door actuator stopped working a month ago. I replaced it with another one today. At first few tests other new one did not release either! I sent a service request on the Tesla App explaining the problem and situation. The door handle module was upgraded in 2021. Things were working up until a few months ago.
I went to the main screen and put the car into service mode. Then exited service mode. I tried the door and it opened. It worked many times. I was curious about the old existing actuator so I reinstalled the old one and it worked! Next I installed the new one again and it worked again and again. Woohoo, success! As well I had not yet received a response from Tesla service. I then cancelled my service request. Within an hour I went for a 25 km drive and went to open the rear left door again and it has not worked since!! I will keep an open mind and try again to find a solution. I have reset the main screen many times. If any body with relevant information can chime in it will be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is relevant but after I replaced mine It was out of “sync” with the other handles and still acting weird. after a couple calls with a Tesla tech, I realized I needed to have them hook up the laptop and have them correctly ”sync” the new handle to the car. long story short software was needed to finish the install.
not sure if this any bearing on your situation, but thought I would mention it as a datapoint.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is relevant but after I replaced mine It was out of “sync” with the other handles and still acting weird. after a couple calls with a Tesla tech, I realized I needed to have them hook up the laptop and have them correctly ”sync” the new handle to the car. long story short software was needed to finish the install.
not sure if this any bearing on your situation, but thought I would mention it as a datapoint.
Quickstrike12. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Hi I have a RHD 2016 (Feb 2017 reg) MS 90D in Uk with only 49k miles on the clock. The driver’s side front door handle stopped presenting but the door opens itself when I unlock the car. When I shut it again the motor whirs 3 times and then stops. I saw a good YouTube video on how to upgrade a Gen 2 door handle (without removing the glass) and ordered a kit on eBay for £40. Got the handle off but when I opened the protective cover I saw it was a Gen 3 handle. So I had to put it all back together again and schedule a replacement by a Tesla ranger. I have an estimated cost of £267.70 which is parts only to replace the whole unit. This is the first handle I have had to replace since buying the car in May 2021 with 22k on the clock. A shame that Tesla won’t cover the full cost as it is such a common issue but at least they say they are not charging labour, only parts.

Upvote 0