Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S key fob replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what Tesla charges to replace a 2018 Model S key fob? I see there are some available on Ebay but AFAIK if they have not been de-activated that they can not be re-programed.
I just had service make me a spare key for my 2018 I just bought because it didn't come with one. I was in for a recall and to have the car inspected since I just bought it used so I figured I get the key while I was there because they have to program it anyway. Keys are pretty cheap compared to others I've seen online $175 for the key and $18 to program it. I remember Prius keys were $400 or $500 back in the day, might be cheaper now not sure.

Reactions: Dan Baldwin
I have a SC appt tomorrow and asked them if they could sell me a replacement key fob. They said that 2018 MS key fobs were "extremely constrained" and that they could not do it. I'm not sure what the deal is, usual Tesla WTF.
There is no such thing as deactivating key fobs before they can be programmed to a car.

The car learns the fob, not the other way around.
Maybe so, however that came from another MS owners experience buying a used fob from Ebay.