Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S LR vs. New Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y'all not looking necessarily for "facts" or for anyone to tell me what to do. Just wanted to get everyone's opinion. I can do all the research I want but it won't match getting thoughts from folks who have actually driven these cars and have been driving them for years.

As the title suggests I am trying to decide between a used MSLR and a new MYP. Obviously one goes more vroom vroom and one has better range. That's something I'm already taking into account. However, is there a significant difference between the two in terms of ride comfort (does the air suspension make that big of a difference)?

Pricing is pretty similar and Tesla's website says the MSLR would get here in two weeks so I'm leaning towards that since availability is a major factor in my choice. However, can we really rely on that used car delivery estimate? Also, what's the chance my newly ordered MYP actually gets here between June & August?

Anything else I should be thinking about? Things people really don't like about either car?

Really looking forward to hearing thoughts from the experienced Tesla community. Thanks in advance!!

You said you can do the research. If you have, you’d see there is a major difference in ride. MYP, by many accounts, is probably one of the worst riding and MS the best (especially Raven vintage).

That said, my friends MY with 19” doesn’t seem to bad. But I see lots of complaints posted. But I’ll take my MS any day. The only thing better on the MY is the price.

Upvote 0
You said you can do the research. If you have, you’d see there is a major difference in ride. MYP, by many accounts, is probably one of the worst riding and MS the best (especially Raven vintage).

That said, my friends MY with 19” doesn’t seem to bad. But I see lots of complaints posted. But I’ll take my MS any day. The only thing better on the MY is the price.
You're absolutely right and I appreciate the nudge to do more research. Seems Ravens didn't come out until 2019 so I'm pretty sure the one I'm looking at wouldn't have it. I'm assuming it would say "Raven" instead of "100D."

I have read that ride quality on the MYP is poor but was just curious if anyone could speak from experience comparing the two. Is it that noticeable?

Upvote 0
You're absolutely right and I appreciate the nudge to do more research. Seems Ravens didn't come out until 2019 so I'm pretty sure the one I'm looking at wouldn't have it. I'm assuming it would say "Raven" instead of "100D."

I have read that ride quality on the MYP is poor but was just curious if anyone could speak from experience comparing the two. Is it that noticeable?
Nothing usually says Raven and sometimes labeled 100D. Even pre-Raven probably ride smoother than a Y. Some owners are fine with Y.

Keep mind you might test ride anything and it seems fine. But over time is it’s not the ride you really wanted it eats at you.

It took a year to realize I wasn’t happy with the ride in the model 3. I was definitely happy with the Raven X ride for 2.5 years. Model S refresh is a little bit firmer. But I’m ok with it so far. But maybe after a year I might tire of it.

Just be honest with yourself in the compromises you make.

Upvote 0