Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of the 2018 P100D, and just a few things are different from my 2016 P90D. Firstly, the improvements like air cooled seats and headrest adjustments are great, but I am SO disappointed in the absence of real leather, and I hate the cheap feel of the steering wheel. The ride is exquisite, as expected, but for a grand total of $160k, the leather is really missed. Anyone else miss leather?

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Wait until Model S 2.0. I am sure Tesla will bring more luxurious interior. I used to think Tesla doesn't listen to customers' complain but more I get to know this company, I found out Tesla does listen to people's complain. It just takes some time.

I just took delivery of the 2018 P100D, and just a few things are different from my 2016 P90D. Firstly, the improvements like air cooled seats and headrest adjustments are great, but I am SO disappointed in the absence of real leather, and I hate the cheap feel of the steering wheel. The ride is exquisite, as expected, but for a grand total of $160k, the leather is really missed. Anyone else miss leather?

From what I recall the P100D steering wheels is still leather. Vegan leather steering wheel is available from the service center on request. I think even Elon mentioned this during the spring 2018 investor call when a PETA representative congratulated him on moving away from leather except for the steering wheel.

After seeing these cars after a few years I like the wear of the vegan better ..look at some of the for sale cars here most of the leather looks stretched and creased ..my vegan looks nothing like that ..I had leather on both S and took care of but the vegan requires very little care

I have a 15' P90DL and lease is up. So turning in for a P100D next week. They let me borrow one for a few nights. The seats are more supportive for front and back. And the heated seats all around and cooled front is nice. The extra power and range was noticeable. Weirdly is that I always have my steering in comfort mode. I put it in comfort mode on the P100D they let me borrow and it felt considerably tighter and not as loose. Like it was in sport mode instead of comfort mode, anyone else notice this?
Also is the premium stereo in the 18' better than what I had in the 15'. It sounded better but I wasn't sure.

So weird that so many demo P100D did not come with CF spoiler and interior, since its a no cost option on this car.

I've never ridden in an older Tesla that has real leather, but I like the feel of the vegan leather in mine.

I assume they did away with real leather in an effort to be more eco friendly. It's hard to claim to be the world's most environmentally car company when your cars have seats covered with dead animals. I wouldn't expect any future Tesla models to have real leather. They'll probably start putting vegan leather on all the steering wheels soon.

Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
The vegan leather wears considerably better in every make of car I have seen it in. Ages well, is very comfortable, and I applaud Tesla for offering it. It certainly is a more upscale look than wrinkled saggy leather - particularly in a $100k+ car.

High end brands like Bentley are exploring vegan leather, and the top ( most expensive )interior option in a Range Rover Velar is the vegan option. Manufacturers are now responding to the more and more people requesting a vegan leather option. Smart Business move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ormond and P85_DA
I don't get this whole move to vegan leather thing. I would venture to say that very few cows out of the millions killed over the last year were killed for the hide. The hides are a natural byproduct of the animal being slaughtered for food. I certainly understand a vegan not wanting to ride around on cowhide and making vegan leather an option for them is a welcome development. That being said, if all these companies eschew the use of leather in their products even as an option; we'll have an incredible amount of waste in this industry and the hides will become trash instead of a useful byproduct of food production.

Last edited:
I've never ridden in an older Tesla that has real leather, but I like the feel of the vegan leather in mine.

I assume they did away with real leather in an effort to be more eco friendly. It's hard to claim to be the world's most environmentally car company when your cars have seats covered with dead animals. I wouldn't expect any future Tesla models to have real leather. They'll probably start putting vegan leather on all the steering wheels soon.

"Vegan leather" is polyurethane, which is made from oil. Hardly eco friendly...

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Inside and P85_DA
I prefer leather over the crude oil seats, also the word vegan triggers a negative synapse reaction in my brain. Now we have another waste product " cow hides" to dump in the ocean. Pretty soon we will a new floating continent called Trashistan.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
The ride is exquisite, as expected, but for a grand total of $160k, the leather is really missed. Anyone else miss leather?

I love my S leather seats and ithey belong with the low slung tight ride. The seats hug, the leather smells good and everything about the ride feels authentic around me. My X has white vegan and I tolerate it as the overall ride is more cush and less about handling. I will be very sad next March when I have to return my beautiful white w/ gray leather and coils.....all discontinued. (And for that matter AP1 which I also love and trust.) The overall experience can not be beat. Hoping TSLA has something more to my preference by then or I'll sadly look at other options. I do not want a cushy S, especially a P100D which would be my choice.

I originally had the same assessment of the steering wheel when I went to look at an Inventory P100D last week. The second time I had a vastly different opinion. Really, I think I had gotten used to the leather on my P90D steering wheel getting polished up with use whereas this new one is nowhere near that yet. the trim on the wheel in my P90D also stands out quite a bit more where the new P100D has a darker metallic trim which really fades into the leather more.

I will be very sad next March when I have to return my beautiful white w/ gray leather and coils.....all discontinued. (And for that matter AP1 which I also love and trust.) The overall experience can not be beat. Hoping TSLA has something more to my preference by then or I'll sadly look at other options. I do not want a cushy S, especially a P100D which would be my choice.

Why don't you you buy it at lease end?

I don't get this whole move to vegan leather thing. I would venture to say that very few cows out of the millions killed over the last year were killed for the hide. The hides are a natural byproduct of the animal being slaughtered for food. I certainly understand a vegan not wanting to ride around on cowhide and making vegan leather an option for them is a welcome development. That being said, if all these companies eschew the use of leather in their products even as an option; we'll have an incredible amount of waste in this industry and the hides will become trash instead of a useful byproduct of food production.

It's not quite that simple.

We are witnessing a sea change in world views when it comes to consuming animals just like we are with ICE transportation. And many of the same arguments are used to support / oppose the use of both. (i.e. "the environment/ planet is / is not being impacted", or "We've done it this way for X years, everything is fine why do we have to change now", etc )

With more and more plant based options on the market, and more and more people choosing to be vegetarian and vegan, or those who consume animals choosing to consume less of them for health reasons alone. There is also those who won't consume them for ethical, environmental or other reasons - or some combination of some or all of the above.

Then there are those who could care less about any of the above - and simply want a better wearing, longer lasting less maintenance product on their seats, and choose vegan leather for that reason alone.

No matter the reason - This all has a fundamental impact on the business case for animal leather. As a function of the economies of scale, when an animal is killed, the cost per unit of it's flesh / meat & skin / leather is reduced as it is all being consumed in some way. If the skin has less or no demand, the cost of the flesh and skin has to climb in order for it to be viable - which means that it will become more expensive to eat for the end consumer who chooses to eat animals. This in turn results in less people consuming them - which causes the price to climb higher...and so on. Normally a higher selling price would cause new entrants to think about venturing in - but not when the business case looks bleak.

With companies like Beyond Meat (invested in by Bill Gates) creating very meaty tasting non animal flesh alternatives that are in high demand, I think we will see more and more Vegan leather in cars of all brands - for a multitude of reasons. As an aside, in Canada, A&W, a fast food chain launched their burger and sold out well beyond their expectations. As they say - The times - they are a changin'.

A&W sold out of its new plant-based burger all across Canada in a matter of weeks

Last edited:
It's not quite that simple.

We are witnessing a sea change in world views when it comes to consuming animals just like we are with ICE transportation. And many of the same arguments are used to support / oppose the use of both. (i.e. "the environment/ planet is / is not being impacted", or "We've done it this way for X years, everything is fine why do we have to change now", etc )

With more and more plant based options on the market, and more and more people choosing to be vegetarian and vegan, or those who consume animals choosing to consume less of them for health reasons alone. There is also those who won't consume them for ethical, environmental or other reasons - or some combination of some or all of the above.

Then there are those who could care less about any of the above - and simply want a better wearing, longer lasting less maintenance product on their seats, and choose vegan leather for that reason alone.

No matter the reason - This all has a fundamental impact on the business case for animal leather. As a function of the economies of scale, when an animal is killed, the cost per unit of it's flesh / meat & skin / leather is reduced as it is all being consumed in some way. If the skin has less or no demand, the cost of the flesh and skin has to climb in order for it to be viable - which means that it will become more expensive to eat for the end consumer who chooses to eat animals. This in turn results in less people consuming them - which causes the price to climb higher...and so on. Normally a higher selling price would cause new entrants to think about venturing in - but not when the business case looks bleak.

With companies like Beyond Meat (invested in by Bill Gates) creating very meaty tasting non animal flesh alternatives that are in high demand, I think we will see more and more Vegan leather in cars of all brands - for a multitude of reasons. As an aside, in Canada, A&W, a fast food chain launched their burger and sold out well beyond their expectations. As they say - The times - they are a changin'.

A&W sold out of its new plant-based burger all across Canada in a matter of weeks

I don't believe what you said contradicts anything in my original post it simply skews it from a vegan perception of the issue. We are nowhere near the tipping point of making meat more expensive by not using the leather from the cows. While this may someday happen, I do not believe I will still be on the earth when it does. For now, we are simply heading towards wasting part of an animal slaughtered for food and to me that is much worse than using it. I do not advocate an all meat diet nor do I advocate for vegans. I abhor the wastefulness created by yet another move that was made for simply political purposes and helps no one (not even the cows). Not offering leather as an option at this point in human development can ONLY be politically motivated since offering it will not cause one more animal to die.

Last edited: