Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S - Rearview Camera Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I've been experiencing issues with my 2018 Model S 75D rearview camera over the past several months.

Sometimes the camera will work fine for several days, than others, randomly the camera will just show as a blank black screen, then the next time I start the car, camera is back to working - then the same issue repeats, over and over, and very random intervals.

I thought the issue might fix itself with the new update to V9, but it's still happening, and now more frequently than ever. I've had my service center take a look at this a few times, and during my last visit they actually had a new camera ready to install for me, but I told them that the issue hadn't happened in quite some time and maybe, magically, it had fixed itself - but, yep, you guessed it, shortly after that visit the problem came back... again, and again.

Problem shows up while having the rearview camera (app) open during normal driving, as well as when using it only for reverse/parking moments (no app) as well.

Frustrating to say the least. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!

Same issue here. Think it started after I updated to 46.2 about a week ago. 2-finger reboot works, but annoying given how frequently this has been happening. Anyone else seem to notice this started only after updating to 46.2?

I am also having this issue about 20% of the time and only seems to happen when first getting in the car - it has never happened during a drive. It just started a couple of weeks ago.

Thoughts? :confused:
Yep, definitely doesn't happen 'while driving', but randomly after starting up the car, when parked, or sitting overnight, etc. I have the car in to service now and they are assessing the issue. I don't think it's a software issue, as it's been happening across multiple updates and really from the time I received the car (6 months ago) - but I could be wrong. I'll post an update once we find out an actual solution.

Spoke too soon . Started to lose backup camera again. Instead of 2 button reset, going to try full power down to fix.
I thought the same after my last update, but the problem did come back a few days later. Bummer part was I had just had a service appointment and they were going to replace the camera during that visit, but I hadn't been having the issue for a bit and thought my latest update had fixed the problem. Found out a day or two after the service appt that I was wrong : (

I am having the same issue as well. My MS75 is also about 6 months old, although for me the issue only started about a month or so ago. Would be curious to hear what service tells you @Sir KITT as I am bringing mine in for service in another couple of weeks and having some guidance would be helpful.

I just had this problem with a 100D Model S overnight service loaner - brand new car with less than 50km on the odometer, running 2018.49.12.1 399e961

while driving it over the 2 days I had the rear camera view always on, above the music player. no problems until on the final drive back to the service center the camera view was black as soon as I started the car.

Closing and reopening the camera view while driving had no effect, still black. When reversing, the image was also black even though the white reversing lines were showing normally. Reboot brought back the camera, I suspect buggy software, like other randomly occuring intermittent touchscreen UI problems I've seen in my car that service can never replicate. (fwiw never seen the same blank camera problem in my 3yr old 70D, currently on 48.12.1)

I have the same issue happen to me from time to time. Annoying. The screen would actually be a white blank screen but when change gears to reverse, it'll be a back screen with the guidelines.

I brought this issue to my Service Arcisor yesterday and doesn't seem like he was aware of the problem and said next time it happens, do a bug report and call it in as we couldn't replicate the problem at the time of service .

Sigh.

Yep, definitely doesn't happen 'while driving', but randomly after starting up the car, when parked, or sitting overnight, etc. I have the car in to service now and they are assessing the issue. I don't think it's a software issue, as it's been happening across multiple updates and really from the time I received the car (6 months ago) - but I could be wrong. I'll post an update once we find out an actual solution.
Well, I had my car into service last week and they replaced the rearview camera to try and resolve the issue. When I picked up the car the camera was working flawlessly, but after my first stop and turning off the car then starting back up the issue came back, again. It's definitely not a hardware (camera) issue. Has to be some sort of software bug or something? It's very frustrating and it doesn't sound like Tesla has a solution just yet or if this is even a known problem to them. I have another appointment setup for later this week and will try to get more info on this. Thanks to everyone for their feedback and replies.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaz
Well, I had my car into service last week and they replaced the rearview camera to try and resolve the issue. When I picked up the car the camera was working flawlessly, but after my first stop and turning off the car then starting back up the issue came back, again. It's definitely not a hardware (camera) issue. Has to be some sort of software bug or something? It's very frustrating and it doesn't sound like Tesla has a solution just yet or if this is even a known problem to them. I have another appointment setup for later this week and will try to get more info on this. Thanks to everyone for their feedback and replies.

I have had this issue happen to me at least once a month for the 1 year that I have owned my Model S. I assume its a software issue as a reboot or power off always fixed it

I am having the same issue as well. My MS75 is also about 6 months old, although for me the issue only started about a month or so ago. Would be curious to hear what service tells you @Sir KITT as I am bringing mine in for service in another couple of weeks and having some guidance would be helpful.
@nikolanj - just curious if you've had your service appt yet, to assess your rearview camera issue? As stated previous, I've brought up the issue with my local service center three times now, one switch out of a new camera, and still experiencing the issue. My service center didn't really have much feedback or opinion other than to change out the camera hardware, which they did, but it did not help. Still experiencing the issue once, twice, daily, and randomly. Hoping your visit leads to more information for us on the issue? Thanks for whatever new info you can share.

@Sir KITT - I have a mobile service appointment scheduled for this Thursday - wasn't able to make the previous in-shop appointment. When I was scheduling the service appointment they told me the .50 FW will resolve this issue, whenever it is pushed to my car. I currently have .49 (and my doubts that .50 will fix it). I will discuss with the mobile service tech this Thursday and see what I can find out.