Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S/X

How many Model S/X will Tesla deliver in 2018?

• < 90,000

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • 90,000 to 95,000

• 95,000 to 100,000

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • 100,000 to 105,000

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • 105,000 to 110,000

Votes: 23 24.0%
  • 110,000 to 115,000

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • 115,000 to 120,000

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • 120,000 to 125,000

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • > 125,000

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 55,000; limited by Model 3, but supported by expanding Supercharger/sales/service network and brand value
Model X 65,000; no Osborne effect from Model 3, significantly larger TAM vs. Model S, and superior tech

I also expect some interior refresh, and maybe some battery chemistry improvements, for both some time in mid-18.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drax7
Optimistically I’m hoping for a 20-25% YOY growth, but my more conservative guess is 15-20% due to some slowing of sales in more mature markets. I do not expect any slowing of sales, even with M3 cannibalization as M3 will increase brand awareness of Tesla and be a net increase. So I’m betting on 120k+.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
I see the popularity of the Model 3 stealing some of the thunder from Model S sales, but also propping up Model S and X sales because of better brand recognition for a general wash in Model S and X sales.

I'm thinking an increase because anyone in 2018 wanting a 3 won't be able to get one if they haven't already reserved. You want a Tesla in 2018 without an existing reservation it has to be an S or X.

Model S 55k units
Model X 52k units

Model S gets canabalized a bit in mature markets but expands in South Korea,Australia and Mexico with real deal Supercharger Networks.

Model X steady in mature markets grows in China,South Korea,and Australia.

I don't believe demand is issue, as you noted there are tons of less mature markets that will mature and new market still to be opened. There is also a growing customer base in the US that will be trading in for new cards after leases are up. What I don't get is how are they going to make more then 100k or so. I know they have had weeks where they made 2400 which would be 120k per year, but they recently cut back production which is mind boggling considering the tax credits will start to phase out in less then 9 months. You would think that uses wants to go full speed to stuff the inventory ahead of that, but maybe I'm missing something. If Tesla had an S/X line and a model 3 line, you would think they would want both going as fast as possible.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
I don't believe demand is issue, as you noted there are tons of less mature markets that will mature and new market still to be opened.

Given incentives like cheap financing rates in Europe, referral $1k incentives, free Supercharging and such demand is not functionally infinite like Model 3 right now.

If it was there would be no need to pull any demand levers.

No demand levers need to be pulled for Model 3.

Elon can act like the Model 3 Nazi and still be production constrained.

cac.png

I don't believe demand is issue, as you noted there are tons of less mature markets that will mature and new market still to be opened. There is also a growing customer base in the US that will be trading in for new cards after leases are up. What I don't get is how are they going to make more then 100k or so. I know they have had weeks where they made 2400 which would be 120k per year, but they recently cut back production which is mind boggling considering the tax credits will start to phase out in less then 9 months. You would think that uses wants to go full speed to stuff the inventory ahead of that, but maybe I'm missing something. If Tesla had an S/X line and a model 3 line, you would think they would want both going as fast as possible.
IIRC, they are running two shifts for the S&X lines, where before they had been running 3 lines. I would imagine they could start up a 3rd shift and boost production up to 30% if they can find enough quality candidates, and the demand for the vehicles.

Tesla won’t be able to significantly grow production unless it makes major investments on the S/X line. None are planned and I think management would prefer to grow 3 capacity (with a view towards the Y) Therefore I think deliveries will be naturally capped to a production ceiling of 100k give or take 10%.

It’s premature to discuss demand at this point for the S and X. There is more than enough of it and changing fiscal incentives in the US, Norway and the Netherlands will make sure that remains for at least full 2018.

Reactions: EinSV
Tesla won’t be able to significantly grow production unless it makes major investments on the S/X line. None are planned and I think management would prefer to grow 3 capacity (with a view towards the Y) Therefore I think deliveries will be naturally capped to a production ceiling of 100k give or take 10%.

It’s premature to discuss demand at this point for the S and X. There is more than enough of it and changing fiscal incentives in the US, Norway and the Netherlands will make sure that remains for at least full 2018.

Management noted on the last earnings call that, while the line was producing 2,000 per week with three shifts previously, it was as of Sep/Oct producing 1,800 (going to 2,000 units throughout 2018) with only two shifts. I'm not sure if I agree with you that production is capped at "100,000 give or take 10%" as is.

• Helpful
Reactions: DurandalAI
No matter what, it's sad that the X is so bad that a full size sedan, a dying car type in America, outsells it.

Had there been no FWDs, auto presenting front doors, or HEPA filter, the X would start around $55k and be 80% of S and X sales. Tesla could have raised the price of the S by 15% due to being able to sell as many Xs as they could make.

Not to mention the car would have been in production a year sooner.