Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model x 75d - Center display, back up camera, IC problems (intermittent)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently started seeing these problems.

The screen on center display goes blank and when I touch it comes back on - happens intermittently. Even if I don't touch it comes back on too.

When I leave the house the back up camera works. But once after first stop, and trying to back up The display says 'back up camera not available' and camera does not work.
After parked overnight, and starting in morning camera works again for first time.

Once while driving, the IC was misbehaving and not showing that car is in movement and not showing the gear it was in. It was showing car picture as if it was parked. This happened only once.

Last week I turned off the car using 'power off' option while parked and then started the car after half an hour by pressing break. Is that something to do with these problems ?
FYI - Tesla replaced the MCU last month (the recall item), and everything was working fine till last week.

I don't think its any hardware related. I am afraid if I call service center they will ask to replace everything and center screen, ic, back up camera and may be chip lol and charge thousands of dollars. Car is out of warranty.

Any help will be appreciated.

I recently started seeing these problems.

The screen on center display goes blank and when I touch it comes back on - happens intermittently. Even if I don't touch it comes back on too.

When I leave the house the back up camera works. But once after first stop, and trying to back up The display says 'back up camera not available' and camera does not work.
After parked overnight, and starting in morning camera works again for first time.

Once while driving, the IC was misbehaving and not showing that car is in movement and not showing the gear it was in. It was showing car picture as if it was parked. This happened only once.

Last week I turned off the car using 'power off' option while parked and then started the car after half an hour by pressing break. Is that something to do with these problems ?
FYI - Tesla replaced the MCU last month (the recall item), and everything was working fine till last week.

I don't think its any hardware related. I am afraid if I call service center they will ask to replace everything and center screen, ic, back up camera and may be chip lol and charge thousands of dollars. Car is out of warranty.

Any help will be appreciated.
I think you need to set up a service appointment. Particularly because you just replaced the MCU, it might be related. You can always decline their offer to repair. I am curious why you don't think it is hardware related, again since they just replaced your MCU.

Reactions: scottf200
Thanks - It may indeed be hardware/wiring/communication related.
I tried everything to fix it myself all resets and finally factory reset as well. Followed this page - Tesla Rear Camera Not Working? [How To Fix It] - That Tesla Channel
Still not working especially the back up camera is safety/convivence concern. I have made an appointment now. Let's see what comes out of it.
Would be interested to know what they find. My rear and side cameras lag a lot.

Did you end up having the MCU replaced again? That would have been my first suggestion, b/c the powering off issue has nothing to do with the camera, but all of the symptoms can be explained by the MCU computer being at issue.