Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X Bluetooth Unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need help! Recently purchased a 2018 model x, love it!

We frequently downhill ski near us and the slopes have no cell signal, my oldest daughter frequently is on her own with her friends and i have given her access to the car from the app to unlock and grab lunch or drinks or whatever she may need out of the car, but due to no cell signal, she is unable to unlock the vehicle. From my phone i can when i am close to it, assuming it is working on bluetooth.

We both have iphones, her 12 Pro, mine 13 Pro.

The only difference i can think of is that her phone is not synced for music and so on in the car. Is that necessary for her to use bluetooth connectivity to control the car? or is it not possible when there is no cell signal for her phone and the vehicle.

Thanks for your help!

Need help! Recently purchased a 2018 model x, love it!

We frequently downhill ski near us and the slopes have no cell signal, my oldest daughter frequently is on her own with her friends and i have given her access to the car from the app to unlock and grab lunch or drinks or whatever she may need out of the car, but due to no cell signal, she is unable to unlock the vehicle. From my phone i can when i am close to it, assuming it is working on bluetooth.

We both have iphones, her 12 Pro, mine 13 Pro.

The only difference i can think of is that her phone is not synced for music and so on in the car. Is that necessary for her to use bluetooth connectivity to control the car? or is it not possible when there is no cell signal for her phone and the vehicle.

Thanks for your help!
A 2018 has no support for Bluetooth unlock. You must carry a key fob. The backup cellphone unlock is over the Internet (cellular), so a decent cellular signal is required, both on the car and the client device attempting the unlock. If there is no Internet, and your daughter does not have a key fob, I don’t think anyone is getting in that car. Someone is going to have to take your daughter a key fob. FedEx maybe? Tesla cannot not even perform a remote unlock, since there is no Internet.

Bluetooth unlock was not added to the Model X until the 2022 (refresh) models, which are just now, starting to deliver.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
A 2018 has no support for Bluetooth unlock. You must carry a key fob. The backup cellphone unlock is over the Internet (cellular), so a decent cellular signal is require, both on the car and the client device Attempting the unlock. If there is no Internet, I don’t think anyone is getting in that car. Someone is going to have to take you daughter a key fob. Tesla cannot not even perform a remote unlock, since there is no Internet.

Bluetooth unlock was not added to the Model X until the 2022 models, which are just now, starting to deliver.
Perfect. Appreciate the help!