Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The chrome is annoying. I would ask them if they can fix it, but be very clear you don't want to make things worse if they start messing w/ the car. I would be wary of them making large adjustments. They may end up making something else worse. I know, as I'm going through the process now.

The last seal looks like an easy fix. I'm hoping the chrome would be an easy fix too, but you never can tell with these cars.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
i have some fitment issues too but i don't know if i will bother with them given what everyone has reported on this thread. definitely some paint defects too like "hairs" under the paint and small touch up paint spots which they must have addressed during QA, but i am not going to worry about those if it means body shop time.

what do you think of these trim and rubber seal issues. i am most concerned about the last photo rubber seal where it's been twisted and is almost vertical.

I would try to get them fixed.

I was supercharging near one of the Tesla showrooms yesterday and they had about 5 other Model Xs sat nearby in the parking bays. So I had a good look at them to compare panel/trim fits etc with my car. They all had minor fit issues, particularly around the FWDs, which must be a production nightmare! Nothing serious like I've seen previously on older builds, but none of them were perfect. Mine is not perfect either and I am planning to put it into the bodyshop at some point for fine adjustment, probably at first service. But I would be worried about that seal on yours and wouldn't want to wait on that too long. I haven't seen one like that before and I bet it will generate some wind noise sticking up like that too.

Reactions: 1 person
thanks for all the replies! i dropped off the car this morning for a number of warranty fixes and they marked all the misaligned trim with green tape and will fix the rubber seal as well. bad news is that the rear quarter window where the chrome trim is way off is actually a one-piece unit so they need to order a whole new quarter window.

the twisted rubber seal on top of the FWD is failing and they said it will require a new piece of glass, not just a rubber seal.

there is also rubbing of both FWDs in the door jambs that is scratching the paint, and they said they can have body shop fix and then apply a vinyl patch. i said i don't want to go the body shop route since the scratches are pretty minor. they will replace the "bumpers" on the corners of the FWD to the newer design and apply the patches in the jambs to prevent further damage to the paint in the jambs.

so all in all, the model X will be in the SC until end of next week. :( a week seems reasonable though since they need to order the FWD glass and a quarter window. crossing my fingers that all will turn out well. everyone at the SC was very helpful. they brought a very knowledgable tech out with the service advisor and he pretty much had seen it all already - these are common problems on the X. will post pics again after the repairs are finished!

• Informative
thanks for all the replies! i dropped off the car this morning for a number of warranty fixes and they marked all the misaligned trim with green tape and will fix the rubber seal as well. bad news is that the rear quarter window where the chrome trim is way off is actually a one-piece unit so they need to order a whole new quarter window.

the twisted rubber seal on top of the FWD is failing and they said it will require a new piece of glass, not just a rubber seal.

there is also rubbing of both FWDs in the door jambs that is scratching the paint, and they said they can have body shop fix and then apply a vinyl patch. i said i don't want to go the body shop route since the scratches are pretty minor. they will replace the "bumpers" on the corners of the FWD to the newer design and apply the patches in the jambs to prevent further damage to the paint in the jambs.

so all in all, the model X will be in the SC until end of next week. :( a week seems reasonable though since they need to order the FWD glass and a quarter window. crossing my fingers that all will turn out well. everyone at the SC was very helpful. they brought a very knowledgable tech out with the service advisor and he pretty much had seen it all already - these are common problems on the X. will post pics again after the repairs are finished!
Not to sound cynical, but I would take that week repair with a grain of salt. I had very experienced techs come out and do the exact same thing you're talking about. One of the techs was the main tech there I think, or certainly one of the topmost. The issue is that the knowledgeable techs aren't always the one performing the repairs. That was my experience. Everyone was very helpful for me as well. They were nice and gave me a loaner. But I believe a week is too short for those repairs, imho. FWD adjustments are nutso and the techs said they're really hard to do.

They also have a LOT of cars that require service. Model 3s have been flooding my local SC and everything is taking much longer because of that as well. I also don't believe that they can get a part that isn't in stock within 1 week. Or they maybe can get the part, but not get it and install it.

I COULD be totally wrong, and I hope I am and that you get your car back in a week with everything repaired! But I think it might be better if you were to assume it takes double that. They finished mine within a week the first time, but I had to refuse pickup because they didn't fix everything they said they would, or didn't do it to a basic level of satisfaction. Be prepared to walk around the car, open and close the FWDs multiple times and check for alignment after they said they fix it. It's entirely possible they over-compensated and overadjusted the doors to make it crooked in the opposite direction. That's what happened to me at least.

Are they giving you a loaner? If so, make sure you don't give them the loaner keys until you are satisfied with the repair work :) It was really painful to give them back my keys so the car could go back into the shop for adjustments :(

I don't mean to scare you, but I think it's best if you were prepared for it to take longer than that. Your issues are exactly like mine, and I still don't have my car back after 7 business days (over one weekend). I'm hoping to get it back tomorrow as they said they expect to finish it up and the doors are looking good ... but I've learned my lesson to be optimistic and I'll take the good news with a grain of salt :p

Not to sound cynical, but I would take that week repair with a grain of salt. I had very experienced techs come out and do the exact same thing you're talking about. One of the techs was the main tech there I think, or certainly one of the topmost. The issue is that the knowledgeable techs aren't always the one performing the repairs. That was my experience. Everyone was very helpful for me as well. They were nice and gave me a loaner. But I believe a week is too short for those repairs, imho. FWD adjustments are nutso and the techs said they're really hard to do.

They also have a LOT of cars that require service. Model 3s have been flooding my local SC and everything is taking much longer because of that as well. I also don't believe that they can get a part that isn't in stock within 1 week. Or they maybe can get the part, but not get it and install it.

I COULD be totally wrong, and I hope I am and that you get your car back in a week with everything repaired! But I think it might be better if you were to assume it takes double that. They finished mine within a week the first time, but I had to refuse pickup because they didn't fix everything they said they would, or didn't do it to a basic level of satisfaction. Be prepared to walk around the car, open and close the FWDs multiple times and check for alignment after they said they fix it. It's entirely possible they over-compensated and overadjusted the doors to make it crooked in the opposite direction. That's what happened to me at least.

Are they giving you a loaner? If so, make sure you don't give them the loaner keys until you are satisfied with the repair work :) It was really painful to give them back my keys so the car could go back into the shop for adjustments :(

I don't mean to scare you, but I think it's best if you were prepared for it to take longer than that. Your issues are exactly like mine, and I still don't have my car back after 7 business days (over one weekend). I'm hoping to get it back tomorrow as they said they expect to finish it up and the doors are looking good ... but I've learned my lesson to be optimistic and I'll take the good news with a grain of salt :p

I agree. I think the key thing for me would be them providing a like-for-like loaner, then they can take as long as they like! I know someone in the UK who has had their car in the service centre for literally months waiting for parts (totally different issues in this case) but they've been putting miles on a brand new P100D loaner in the meantime (their own car is an older 75D). It's an odd situation and something that must be costing Tesla a small fortune!

• Funny
thanks for the input. they gave me a Model S 75 that is nearly new with only 1,300mi on the odo. black with textile seats and no slacker radio (apparently they no longer enable them in loaners?). so i pretty much came home and parked the loaner in the garage and took the red rocket out instead to pick up my kids and later take them to soccer. it's just easier with our music, garage opener, etc. i'll put some miles on the loaner this week but so far haven't dug up the spare garage remote ...

if the repairs take longer than the end of next week, i will try to ask them to swap for a model X loaner. school starts this weds and i'm going to be part of a carpool so having the X is handier. i don't know if they have P loaners anymore here. haven't seen any in a long time.

i agree it seems a little too ambitious to get it back next week. we just waited over 2 months for a piece of pano roof glass to arrive for our S!! but i'll cross my fingers for now and give them the benefit of the doubt ;) send good vibes! will keep you posted.

My car had that too and I took delivery on June 20th. Mine also had a lot of other issues with rubber beading and scratches and seals and of course a paint damage. Perhaps the quality of cars produced at the end of the quarter especially for California customers is not controlled well. My car is in the service centre and they are not sure when these issues will get fixed. BTW, the steering buttons and horn stopped working .....

With regards to your horn not working, what was the issue? That is my issue as well and I'm hoping to help guide my SC so I can get my car back ASAP

New owner here. Similar to all of you, I love Tesla and my new X has over 15 problems so far. It’s been in the SC for 3 weeks after 1.5 months of ownership. I honestly am so disappointed and am considering escalating my issues to buy back. Every time they fix something it comes back worse.

Can you pls share what kind of problems you have had so far?

It might help to just get the ones that truly matter fixed because what people are finding is that they seem to come back with other problems when they took it to SC for some "minor" issues.

Hope you get the issues fixed, it is a tough thing to deal with when you have to constantly go to the SC to fix issues on a brand new car! The bigger thing to think about is what will happen once the vehicle is out of warranty, if it's already showing so many issues, could become a money pit! Based on what people have been reporting, it's probably fair to assume that maintenance costs will be high for an MX once out of warranty!

Reactions: Nrazar

It might help to just get the ones that truly matter fixed because what people are finding is that they seem to come back with other problems when they took it to SC for some "minor" issues.

Hope you get the issues fixed, it is a tough thing to deal with when you have to constantly go to the SC to fix issues on a brand new car! The bigger thing to think about is what will happen once the vehicle is out of warranty, if it's already showing so many issues, could become a money pit! Based on what people have been reporting, it's probably fair to assume that maintenance costs will be high for an MX once out of warranty!
I haven't had my car long enough to know if it will be a black hole of money repairs or not. I'm trying to get them to fix the initial defects and things that were results of trying to make adjustments. I feel like once things have been addressed, more will not necessarily crop up. You need to separate out initial factory defects from things failing downstream. I don't want to prematurely drop $4800-5300 on extended warranty if I don't see other problems.

So far in one year I have had two visits for minor issues. None have recurred and no further issues were caused by the service visits. Most were FWD related, which probably highlights why Elon now calls it hubris to have done those doors. They almost stopped me from buying the car.

Don't they do a factory soak test?

You would think they would make more effort to make the cars watertight because leaks are really expensive to fix. I had a Suzuki that the dealer managed to damage during a service once, and the water soaked all the carpets and parts of the seats. Cost them a small fortune to replace all that.

Most luxury car makers do a soak test for that reason. Don't want those expensive materials to get ruined or upset the customer.
If by "soak test" you're talking about a water intrusion test, it's not just luxury automakers.

Had watched
long ago on TV. Skip to ~42:50 for their water intrusion testing.

• Informative

Some weird problems:

1. Every time my car door opens, the voice command feature goes off. The button on the steering wheel doesn’t work.

2. The driver door jams and doesn’t open. I get stuck in my own car.

3. The heater turning on creates a smell similar to that of burning cloth

4. AC fan doesn’t blow even at high settings. It sounds like it’s jammed or off axis so it can’t ramp us as fast

5. Acceleration shudder worsened after repair.

6. My driver seat squeaks like a old rocking chair every time I hit a bump

7. The front bumper is warping and it is bending inward

8. The weather seals are off for the driver and passenger door

9. My MCU cubby is shaking all the time because it was not put in tightly

10. My left falcon door was misaligned

11. My steering wheel is off axis by 10 degrees

12. My rear bumper reflectors (red) broken upon delivery

13. There was loose wiring under both front seats

14. My windshield wiper fluid tank had a hole in it

15. I can go on all day if your still reading this

Anyway, I didn’t seem all the problems I had on here, but I did see some like the steering wheel and shudder. I am going to be talking to service leadership this week.

Some weird problems:

1. Every time my car door opens, the voice command feature goes off. The button on the steering wheel doesn’t work.

2. The driver door jams and doesn’t open. I get stuck in my own car.

3. The heater turning on creates a smell similar to that of burning cloth

4. AC fan doesn’t blow even at high settings. It sounds like it’s jammed or off axis so it can’t ramp us as fast

5. Acceleration shudder worsened after repair.

6. My driver seat squeaks like a old rocking chair every time I hit a bump

7. The front bumper is warping and it is bending inward

8. The weather seals are off for the driver and passenger door

9. My MCU cubby is shaking all the time because it was not put in tightly

10. My left falcon door was misaligned

11. My steering wheel is off axis by 10 degrees

12. My rear bumper reflectors (red) broken upon delivery

13. There was loose wiring under both front seats

14. My windshield wiper fluid tank had a hole in it

15. I can go on all day if your still reading this

Anyway, I didn’t seem all the problems I had on here, but I did see some like the steering wheel and shudder. I am going to be talking to service leadership this week.

Sounds like a proper lemon you have there!