Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you look at that article, almost every other car had problems with transmission, drive train, or brakes. Major items. Only the Audi and Tesla did not. I'll take body trim issues over major transmission problems any day.

That said, if you have problems. tell Tesla. They will do their best to fix any issues.

If you look at that article, almost every other car had problems with transmission, drive train, or brakes. Major items. Only the Audi and Tesla did not. I'll take body trim issues over major transmission problems any day.

That said, if you have problems. tell Tesla. They will do their best to fix any issues.
Of course Tesla model X has major transmission problems. It just takes a bit of time to manifest itself.

Brakes problems are not unheard of either.

That said, Tesla would still bring smile to you every day you drive it (when it actually works) and if it's broken too much - you can just return it and get another one. ;)

Of course Tesla model X has major transmission problems. It just takes a bit of time to manifest itself.

Brakes problems are not unheard of either.

That said, Tesla would still bring smile to you every day you drive it (when it actually works) and if it's broken too much - you can just return it and get another one. ;)
Tesla uses direct drive...there is no transmission.

Reactions: rsbell and WINGIT
Tesla uses direct drive...there is no transmission.
I am not a car guy, so my terminology might be off.

There are some parts that transfer torque from the motor to wheels, I call those parts transmission because it transmits power to the wheels.

Also hopefully you are not denying that there are gears involved in that, not unlike this picture from wikipedia transmission article:

File:Gear reducer.gif - Wikipedia
File:Gear_reducer.gif

The thread you linked has zero to do with the reduction gear, which is the closest thing to the transmission.

This is still the front half shaft design issue. The angle on the tripstr seems to result in excess wear and vibration. Thankfully it is an annoyance rather than something that will strand you. I do agree that it is disappointing it is still not resolved. I will take it over some of the other design faults some other cars have, such as Audi S6 timing chain faults.

Reactions: WINGIT
Just depends on how much you let it destroy the stuff around. If you don't count half-axles as part of transmission, that's fine, I guess. But they are still part of the drivetrain.

Of course on a Tesla just dead 12V battery is enough to stand you, if you only care about such issues.

But in the end like I said, it does not really matter, the car is a joy to drive as long as it works and when it does not - you just need to wait until it's back in order (or if you are lucky - you get a Tesla loaner and don't care as much too).

My X was built mid-December and the overall quality appears as good as any, apart the randomly crashing software. The only thing I'm somewhat concerned about is the 12V battery as it is tiny and the systems stress it to the extreme. While the 12V monitoring seems to work, it can only do so much before the car gets stranded somewhere. They should have put a some soft of backup in there..

My model X is June delivery. How do you cope with the fact that over $100k car may have all sorts of defects and is rated as the least reliable on the market by CR? https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/10-least-reliable-cars. It’s a bit unsettling, but on the other hand I see tons of Model X cars on the road....
Picked my MX up yesterday. Could find zero defects in workmanship. Drove 130 miles home. Beautiful quiet ride. Auto pilot started working after about 50 miles. Flawless. We will have to wait and see what kind of problems occur.

Reactions: GOPJEW and WINGIT
Picked up my MX on Saturday. Drove 200 miles so far. Most issues mentioned in the delivery checklist seem to be absent. The ride is quiet, FWD work flawlessly indoor and outdoor and the car looks beautiful every time you walk up to it.

The only minor issues have to do with software. There is a known bug where MX isn't connecting to home WiFi; called support and they said they are working on a fix that they will push to cars once ready. I am on 2018.10.2 and there doesn't seem to be a way to force upgrade to 10.4 which is what I was trying to accomplish with WiFi connectivity. The other issue found yesterday was a small amount of wind noise from passenger door. Have an appointment to get that looked at - its an issue I would have ignored had I not seen the delivery checklist from this forum.

Overall, very impressed with the build quality, ride, UI and technology in the car.

Picked up my MX on Saturday. Drove 200 miles so far. Most issues mentioned in the delivery checklist seem to be absent. The ride is quiet, FWD work flawlessly indoor and outdoor and the car looks beautiful every time you walk up to it.

The only minor issues have to do with software. There is a known bug where MX isn't connecting to home WiFi; called support and they said they are working on a fix that they will push to cars once ready. I am on 2018.10.2 and there doesn't seem to be a way to force upgrade to 10.4 which is what I was trying to accomplish with WiFi connectivity. The other issue found yesterday was a small amount of wind noise from passenger door. Have an appointment to get that looked at - its an issue I would have ignored had I not seen the delivery checklist from this forum.

Overall, very impressed with the build quality, ride, UI and technology in the car.

That's great news! Enjoy the ride. :)

Congrats neighbor! (I am from Dublin :) ) I picked mine on Thursday. Car has been awesome with good build quality except some wind noise from driver side door.
Some bugs associated with 10.2: wifi connectivity, not able to reboot. Once car turned on with no sound (from any source including turn signals). A car restart (not reboot) solved it. Once car turned on with automatic wipers on, on a sunny day while I was in garage. Again, a car restart solved it. We will have to deal with these unfortunately until they come out with an update (hopefully 10.4) for the cars with new MCU.

So far so good. *fingers crossed*

I just took delivery of my brand new 100D. Delivered right to my front door. Literally. In a closed trailer no less 270 miles from Atlanta.

Amazing car. First review- could not find a scratch. Very quiet car. As far as I can tell after a couple hours with it- all controls, panels and sounds work ok.

I will follow up with a more in depth review. But as to the build quality- seems pretty much equal to my 2016 Range Rover. Maybe not as “solid” but overall fit and finish in the same ball park.

Reactions: GOPJEW and WINGIT
Took delivery of a new March build Model X 100D yesterday. There is only one issue/defect. The little charge door doesn't open when pressing the charge cable button. It opens manually and via the phone app, but not wih the charging cable. Other than that there are no scratches, no big door gap issues, other things that don't work correctly.

I took delivery of a 100D last saturday. Everything seems to be perfect except for a ding I just noticed in the wood trim and the heated steering wheel not working. It's way better than the failed delivery I experienced last Oct with non working A/C, non-working parking sensors and a ding on the FWD. I had to refuse delivery on that one. This time around I tried to not look too closely and just enjoy the car!

• Informative
Reactions: WINGIT and cwerdna
Took delivery of a MX100D one week ago today. Has been a lot of fun playing around with it, using the app, & reading all the great info here. Finally able to do some highway driving yesterday and put enough miles on it for autopilot to start working. Amazing stuff for Chicago traffic (I felt so much more relaxed after driving around in stop & go traffic all afternoon and coming home). I am so happy I decided to jump into a Tesla, it’s such an amazing ride!

Took delivery of a new March build Model X 100D yesterday. There is only one issue/defect. The little charge door doesn't open when pressing the charge cable button. It opens manually and via the phone app, but not wih the charging cable. Other than that there are no scratches, no big door gap issues, other things that don't work correctly.

Where are you pointing the charge cable button? Try pointing charging cable with button pushed at back near charge port.

Just took delivery of an early March build Model X 100D. I went through the inventory checklist and found none of the issues listed. Doors were aligned well, FWDs didn’t make any creaking noises, seals looked good, no noticeable panel gap issues, leather was in excellent shape, no ghosting on the windshield etc. It came with the new MCU which is very fast. I had ordered a phone mount to use google maps for nav in preparation for the old slow MCU but I don’t think I will even bother now. I have already driven 250 miles in the first two days of ownership. Autopilot has worked flawlessly on the highway. It has been raining today and so far the auto wipers appear to be working great.

Basically I have had none of the typical issues you see people talking about on the forums. Maybe I am lucky or maybe quality has indeed improved a great deal over the last year. I am 100% happy with my vehicle and the delivery experience.

I’d like to add my positive note, also, as there’s been so much bad spin lately.

MX100. 3/18 build with new MCU.

Delivery flawless. No scratches. Wheels perfect. My cream leather is fantastic. I liked the white, but they were so bright! I love having the headliners being light and bright.

New MCU Screen has never given me reboots. My first update took 30 min as opposed to 1hr and 40.

AC and Heat work flawlessly. All the seat warmers work.

No ghosting in the windscreen.

My EAP kicked in at about 40 miles. Works great on the interstate, and even works pretty well around town!

Programming my home link was the easiest process in any car I’ve ever had. I love the automatic GPS opening.

Charging seems easy.

The automatic doors have worked as intended. Opens like a charm and closes when I’m away.

Overall, it’s exceeded my expectations!

I took delivery this morning of a new 100D, with the checklist printed and in my hands, and they were delighted to go through it with me - and curious about it's origins too. It turned out to be a waste of paper, as far as I can tell, after a few hours of ownership, and there were zero issues with seals, cracks, chips, etc. The car had been delivered a few days ago to the show-room rear yard, and perhaps they have their own checklist, and worked out whatever issues they detected. Anyway, after reading so much here, I was pleasantly surprised.

Only issue was a slight misalignment, so slight its probably within spec, where the driver's side FWD meets the driver's side door frame. Here are a few zoom-in photos; face-on you can't really detect it, only the slightly forward and rearward angled shots make it noticeable:IMG_0692.JPG IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0694.JPG

Service said it was a tricky adjustment, and one that actually takes them a couple of days, as they need to balance the FWD to make sure its OK in all corners - make sense? They were too busy to consider doing it over the weekend, and actually I am considering whether to bother getting it done at all - am I being too casual, in peoples' opinions? Thanks in advance.