Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of them are like that. Mine has a slight misalignment but I have to just accept it as is. I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of them trying to adjust it indefinitely.

I’ve seen much worse ones and some better ones.

I took delivery this morning of a new 100D, with the checklist printed and in my hands, and they were delighted to go through it with me - and curious about it's origins too. It turned out to be a waste of paper, as far as I can tell, after a few hours of ownership, and there were zero issues with seals, cracks, chips, etc. The car had been delivered a few days ago to the show-room rear yard, and perhaps they have their own checklist, and worked out whatever issues they detected. Anyway, after reading so much here, I was pleasantly surprised.

Only issue was a slight misalignment, so slight its probably within spec, where the driver's side FWD meets the driver's side door frame. Here are a few zoom-in photos; face-on you can't really detect it, only the slightly forward and rearward angled shots make it noticeable:View attachment 290512 View attachment 290513 View attachment 290514

Service said it was a tricky adjustment, and one that actually takes them a couple of days, as they need to balance the FWD to make sure its OK in all corners - make sense? They were too busy to consider doing it over the weekend, and actually I am considering whether to bother getting it done at all - am I being too casual, in peoples' opinions? Thanks in advance.
I have OCD and that does bother me . Moreover, you don't see such misalignments even in a 20k Civic .why should we accept them when we pay 100k. I would get it fixed if it was my car.

Reactions: 1 person
Our family took delivery of our Model X 100D this morning in the very cool Fremont Delivery Center. Very nice experience...they really nailed it...lots of families, couples and solo individuals picking up cars and lots of Model 3's heading out the door to their super stoked owners.

One of my favorite parts of visiting a Tesla Store is meeting the young, enthusiastic Tesla employees. I really like seeing this as a shareholder. Every time I meet a young one I tell them to buy TSLA whenever possible. Maybe I reach a few of them...hope so. :)

Still a bit on Cloud 9 today after realizing we finally own a Tesla Model X (wife) and a Chevy Bolt (me) ...making us finally 100% Zero Emissions. Setting an example for our kids. I have been following Tesla since their humble beginnings...really cool to see where they have come and where they are going.

Before finalizing documentation I went over the car for 20+ minutes and found 3 minor, light scratches in the paint that will no doubt come out with some detail work at our local SC.

Great job Elon Musk and the many thousands who represent Team Tesla!

I cannot wait to put my reservation for Model Y.

RBF

PS-Yes, this is a paid endorsement. I paid about $126k for the privilege of this experience and would do it again if I had the means.

Our family took delivery of our Model X 100D this morning in the very cool Fremont Delivery Center. Very nice experience...they really nailed it...lots of families, couples and solo individuals picking up cars and lots of Model 3's heading out the door to their super stoked owners.

One of my favorite parts of visiting a Tesla Store is meeting the young, enthusiastic Tesla employees. I really like seeing this as a shareholder. Every time I meet a young one I tell them to buy TSLA whenever possible. Maybe I reach a few of them...hope so. :)

Still a bit on Cloud 9 today after realizing we finally own a Tesla Model X (wife) and a Chevy Bolt (me) ...making us finally 100% Zero Emissions. Setting an example for our kids. I have been following Tesla since their humble beginnings...really cool to see where they have come and where they are going.

Before finalizing documentation I went over the car for 20+ minutes and found 3 minor, light scratches in the paint that will no doubt come out with some detail work at our local SC.

RBF

PS-Yes, this is a paid endorsement. I paid about $126k for the privilege of this experience and would do it again if I had the means.
Welcome to the community!

RBF

We also took delivery yesterday morning in Fremont. I was shocked by how many ppeople were theret The free Espresso was nice too.

My only complaint about the process was the wait. We had a 1015 appointment but didn't get seen until 1130 or so, and then they forgot about us after doc signing. :/ Luckily they had a little play room for kids staffed with a really nice Tesla intern so we were able to keep our daughter entertained.

Car seems defect free as of now however there was a weird thing last night where sound stopped working, but had since corrected itself.

I already noticed a couple of issues with me.

1) hood has a crease up front where you normally push down to latch, that doesn’t exist on my 2016

2) passenger side falcon closes to about 80-90% and stops with obstacles detected error. Happens frequently

3) big gunk of silicon on falcon ceiling glass

4) noise when making slow speed turns, not all the time.

5) driver door seems to be hitting something when closing, but can’t pinpoint where yet

6) various panel gaps (fender, rear bumper, falcon door) that I won’t bother to ask them fix

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Yes, you'll forfeit your deposit and you can reorder. I placed a new order and the next delivery will be in June, hopefully with less issues.

Seriously? I don't know of any other products where if I put down a deposit to order it, and upon delivery I discover defects, that the deposit wouldn't be applied to a new order. So Tesla can give you a defective product, AND take your money, and that's OK? You placed a reorder with the hope of it being better. Tesla fans are very, very tolerant indeed. I'm a big fan of the Model 3, but in no hurry to get one. I can wait until the quality catches up to most other automakers. I'm the "average Joe" that the Model 3 is aimed at, and will wait until the $35,000 version is available.

You can get your deposit transferred to the new order. They won't do that if you don't order the same day but on a same day reorder it should be no problem.

You will have to put in a new order before transferring which increases the size of your deposit after the transfer goes through but it still applies to the final price so it's just pulling forward a portion of the payment, not increasing the final cost.

I have OCD and that does bother me . Moreover, you don't see such misalignments even in a 20k Civic .why should we accept them when we pay 100k. I would get it fixed if it was my car.
Go walk around a Honda lot some time. I promise you will find misalignments.
The service centers are generally happy to fix these if you ask. In fact the DS when I picked up my X had to bring a tech over to tweak one of the FWDs, and while he was doing that we chatted about panel alignment. He mentioned that sometimes people want everything to be perfect, and they always find a way to work with them for it.

Seomtimes? On a $100k+ car? They should probably assume always.
Believe it or not, there are plenty of people that wouldn't notice an inconsistent panel gap even if you pointed at it. To them, the car is already perfect.

Edit: and come to think of it, plenty of cars in the $100k price point have questionable build quality. Sometimes people get to that price point because they want features and build quality (think S class), some get to that price point because they want other interesting attributes (think Jaguar F-Type R). Perfection is thus in the eye of the beholder.

Believe it or not, there are plenty of people that wouldn't notice an inconsistent panel gap even if you pointed at it. To them, the car is already perfect.

Edit: and come to think of it, plenty of cars in the $100k price point have questionable build quality. Sometimes people get to that price point because they want features and build quality (think S class), some get to that price point because they want other interesting attributes (think Jaguar F-Type R). Perfection is thus in the eye of the beholder.

this is a good point. people forget that alot of the reasons the price of an X is $100k+ is for features nothing to do with the car build (e.g. enhanced autopilot, larger battery etc...).

this is not an excuse for tesla to have poor quality build issues but sometimes it's also perspective and what you're ok in living with.

Reactions: WINGIT
New member here. I test drove the MX last weekend and loved it...... but... the build quality concerns me and now hesitant on order and just wanting for them to improve. They are made in the same factory as the M3 and perhaps those workers are overworked and the quality is affected across all models? For a 100k car, the build quality and gaps shouldn't really exist but I find that most people overlook this. Is Tesla just complacent since they know people will just "accept" it? That's kinda bad news for consumers if they are thinking this way... kinda like Apple being complacent and selling the same phones every year knowing that people will just buy it. Anyways, I'm still on the fence .. it's like rollin' dice .... do you feel lucky? lol.

I just ordered an MX, guess I’m feeling lucky but mostly excited.

I’ve never had a perfect car but then again my MX is over double almost triple what my current car costs so I’ll be honest I expect more because it’s a more luxury brand but I have no doubt I’ll have a few issue when I pick her up some are to be expected and I’ll be chill but obviously I won’t be happy if it’s a crock of,,,, but they “will” fix them so I’m good about it

Also at the end of the day it’s just money and it’s just a car we only live once!

Reactions: WINGIT
The camera manufacturers hide the stuck pixels anyway. All CCDs have them, they just find them at the factory and then have the camera cover them up using adjacent pixels.

Unfortunately Tesla can't hide panel gaps and misaligned trim that way.

Similarly Tesla is actually pretty open about performance. You can use TM-spy and tell exactly how much power the battery and motors are putting out. You have to put an ICE car on a dyno to verify that, and I can guarantee some of those are putting out under rated power.

I took early March delivery of a Model X 100D. The car seemed flawlessly grin-inducing for the first 700 miles. Then trouble. I went to Hawaii for 3 weeks, and I left my poor lonely car sitting in the garage hooked up with its mobile charger to a 110 V outlet.

Being a new dad, I began to constantly pick up my phone to check on its status. I became alarmed when I saw that the car was losing charge @ 2 to 3% per day. And the charge port looked red on the picture of the car on my phone. And it wouldn't start recharging. And since I had left it to maintain a 50% SOC, the battery would be depleted before I got home. Semi-panic.

Fortunately Wayne at the Rockville service could remotely diagnose the problem: I had a defective mobile charger. He coordinated with my neighbor to have the neighbor open my garage door for a Tesla tech to replace the mobile charger. Problem solved from 5000 miles away. I could enjoy the remainder of my time with grandkids in Hawaii.

And that's my new Model X quality horror story.

My return home is imminent. I'm extremely excited to see and drive my new Tesla again.

Next time run it to 80% before you go, turn on energy saving and turn off always connected, and then leave it alone in the app. Way less work, much easier. You should only lose a couple of miles a day at that point.

BTW it would have slowed down the loss after 20% as it starts to turn off some automated functions, particularly if you have smart preconditioning or other similar things on.

Reactions: WINGIT and Nilnoc