Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hard to tell but it just looks like swirl marks from a buffer. I've seen it on a couple of loaners I had that they had literally just pulled the plastic off. The factory buffs some areas before delivery but it's almost like they don't use the final compound so the swirls go away. I remember one MX loaner I had in particular. It had buffing spots just randomly all over this black MX and looked really bad.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Talk with your service center. Say you are concerned and want them to go over the car for a second delivery inspection. A couple of swirl marks and a missing trim clip don't necessarily mean the car is doomed. You are both on the same team: they want you to be happy with your car and so do you.

17F68F32-8740-403B-934A-DFB6D8314262.jpeg
9957526F-F55F-4041-93D2-E4FE2D26F629.jpeg
Been comparing my MX to others trying to compare build quality and found a design change from previous MX even 4 months ago. The front window chrome trim has been changed to 2 piece from 1 piece. Any idea why? The small piece is extremely wobbly on both driver and passnger sides. Uploading a picture of a white MX (4 months old) I saw at a supercharger and mine.

View attachment 317508 View attachment 317509 Been comparing my MX to others trying to compare build quality and found a design change from previous MX even 4 months ago. The front window chrome trim has been changed to 2 piece from 1 piece. Any idea why? The small piece is extremely wobbly on both driver and passnger sides. Uploading a picture of a white MX (4 months old) I saw at a supercharger and mine.
....lol the things folks notice :oops:...this got me looking at mine I guess i have old version (1pc) and my car was an early build Q1 2018 P100....r u saying newer version is more wobbly ??:(

Took my car in to SC today to get all my issues taken care of. My service adviser wasn't even aware of the change in the trim. Maybe manufacturing or post production problems? He didn't know. Said he was going to have to check with the service techs about why change from one to two piece. For me looking at it I would have preferred the one piece. I. Compared to the one piece design it definitely feels unstable. Compared it to some new MX at the SC and some are very loose, some rock solid. My bottom piece moves quite a bit. Upper piece not at all. I think in car manufacturing as well as in life the KISS principle works best. New is not always better.
On a positive note they gave me a 2017 P 100D as a loaner. What a car! Im sure if I had bought that instead of a regular 100D I would double my number of speeding tickets.:)

• Love
What’s weird is my neighbor has same month build as mine in early 2018 and his is 2 piece mine is one piece :eek:...I have P100 his is 100 not sure that really matters but when u are rushing to make production numbers you buy whatever parts are available lol o_O

What’s weird is my neighbor has same month build as mine in early 2018 and his is 2 piece mine is one piece :eek:...I have P100 his is 100 not sure that really matters but when u are rushing to make production numbers you buy whatever parts are available lol o_O
I just checked my car. 03/2018 build. One piece on driver side and two-piece on passenger side.

j/k
1 piece on both

I had to refuse delivery of my MX P100D a few days ago due to questionable welds/old mcu. I only got a few pictures before I knew I wasn't going to take delivery (especially after service said they'd just paint over it), but once I saw a few of the welds, I was quite worried about what I couldn't see.

This was on the right passenger entry, the left side wasn't cracked but was of similar quality.
View attachment 287312
WOW. I also refused delivery for same reason (plus a ton of other smaller ones), but this one looks way worse than mine.

Other then the major disappointment and very weird resistance by the delivery team to accept our rejection, Tesla did put us up in a S P85D loaner few days later which has been nothing short of heaven to drive, for the past month or so.

Really hoping this Tuesday will go smoothly. Getting tired of bumping my head into the roof when getting the kids in/out of the car.

Reactions: 1 person
Every other MX that I’ve looked at had the same type on both sides. either 2 piece or 1 piece. Another Tesla lack of quality control. Like the person who had 2 different types of trim in his car. :(
What about this says lack of quality control? They may have two lines and put all the stock of a particular type on one line so that they don't end up with the two types of trim situation.

Every other MX that I’ve looked at had the same type on both sides. either 2 piece or 1 piece. Another Tesla lack of quality control. Like the person who had 2 different types of trim in his car. :(

That’s lame ..unless the 2 piece improves on something (noise?) ...I will keep my one piece it just flows better visually :oops:

The trim pieces look like a manufacturability simplification to me...
Measuring the chord of the arc that piece makes over the driver's door is about 5 feet long.
Putting the extra fish hook piece on the end really complicates the die set for making this part...
Granted they have very many very complex dies in production but sometimes they look to see if they can
improve the yield of a process. The two piece design looks to be such an attempt...
If it is too loose and may be easily lost, the attempt is a failure.

I looked at the "poor weld quality" in @Tachyonic's post above.
I don't think it's a weld quality issue.
I had to find the area on my car and indeed there is a junction of major body panels illustrated
in the picture. I do not believe that seam is a weld but some type of designed body filler or caulk
to seal the junction in the parts.
It is resilient to my thumbnail. A weld would not yield to my thumbnail...
Or I have very powerful thumbnails... :)

Shawn

• Informative
Let me clarify. When I was referring to the the person with two trim types I was referring to a person who said he had two types of of interior trim on his car. (not sure waht thread it was on the forums). One side was carbon fiber and the other wood. It was delivered to him that way. If thats not poor quality control , what is it then?

Let me clarify. When I was referring to the the person with two trim types I was referring to a person who said he had two types of of interior trim on his car. (not sure waht thread it was on the forums). One side was carbon fiber and the other wood. It was delivered to him that way. If thats not poor quality control , what is it then?

Yah I remember that one ...talk about unicorns ....o_O