Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering purchasing a Model X but there are a ton of build quality issues reported online. I understand that build quality has improved since initial release but was wondering if there is anyone who has taken delivery within the past couple of months and what their experience has been.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 person
End of December 2017 X with premium interior.

Upon delivery: rock chips that needed body work, dirty trim piece.

First month: windshield wipers not wiping all the way, light in trunk not wired in, charge port too tight (wouldn’t plug in!) and had to be replaced

Second month: window made horrible noises going up and down, unattached hose making weird noises (that took them 2 days to diagnose!)

Let’s see what else happens.

That all said, the car is a dream. Service has been exceptional. But obviously no QC to speak of especially end of quarter!

End of December 2017 X with premium interior.

Upon delivery: rock chips that needed body work, dirty trim piece.

First month: windshield wipers not wiping all the way, light in trunk not wired in, charge port too tight (wouldn’t plug in!) and had to be replaced

Second month: window made horrible noises going up and down, unattached hose making weird noises (that took them 2 days to diagnose!)

Let’s see what else happens.

That all said, the car is a dream. Service has been exceptional. But obviously no QC to speak of especially end of quarter!
My windows also make noise going up and down. They’ve fixed it twice and it just came back again.

September 2017. Before the parts supplier screwed up the charge ports. :D. No issues at all. Only problems have been software (where 17.42 broke the AP2.5 cars, etc.). Seriously, I had no issues at delivery (one adjustment to the charge port door) and nothing since.

In general, I think quality has improved greatly and it’s a bit of the luck of the draw of how your delivery crew checks things out.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I really hope all the issues have been sorted, we have just ordered a model x 100d in pearl white with white interior.We studied this for quite some time it was this or a new hybrid range rover but after our test drive there just wasn't a comparison.

Not at the very end. Pretty much from beginning to end.
ok, but did you also try putting silicone stray on the side rubber? I am guess if the door is open then there is no noise when you close the window. If so, that tells me it is due to friction of the glass against the rubber seal. Replacing the seal may actually make the problem worse because the seal will be tighter. I'd be surprised as to why they replaced it. Usually the squeak only occurs at the top, but I have seen it occur on the sides as well.

there is some good analysis with cross references from public sources and Tesla's response here (just published): Tesla employees say automaker is churning out a high volume of flawed parts requiring costly rework.
That said we just ordered MX100D last week, so finger crossed these issues are mostly Model 3 specific. The question is whether Tesla can fix these systemic issues or will they continue burning time and cash on addressing quality and rigor of their manufacturing and QC process.
Good luck to us all!

I had to refuse delivery of my MX P100D a few days ago due to questionable welds/old mcu. I only got a few pictures before I knew I wasn't going to take delivery (especially after service said they'd just paint over it), but once I saw a few of the welds, I was quite worried about what I couldn't see.

This was on the right passenger entry, the left side wasn't cracked but was of similar quality.
MVIMG_20180316_122417.jpg

I had to refuse delivery of my MX P100D a few days ago due to questionable welds/old mcu. I only got a few pictures before I knew I wasn't going to take delivery (especially after service said they'd just paint over it), but once I saw a few of the welds, I was quite worried about what I couldn't see.

This was on the right passenger entry, the left side wasn't cracked but was of similar quality.
View attachment 287312

Wow, sorry about that, any other pics

Wow, sorry about that, any other pics
Unfortunately I only got a few before I realized how certain I was that I wouldn't be taking delivery. I wish there was a way to get my deposit back, but I wasn't going to fight the service center and their "We can paint over it" solution, and honestly I didn't want them to fix it. If a weld on the door in plain view is that bad, I can only imagine what the others look like that I can't see. I'll roll the dice again and hope for something better.

ok, but did you also try putting silicone stray on the side rubber? I am guess if the door is open then there is no noise when you close the window. If so, that tells me it is due to friction of the glass against the rubber seal. Replacing the seal may actually make the problem worse because the seal will be tighter. I'd be surprised as to why they replaced it. Usually the squeak only occurs at the top, but I have seen it occur on the sides as well.

Silicone Spray is not the best product to use for door and window seals as it can deteriorate rubber over time. A better product is Gummi Pflege, which is designed to use specifically on these seals. Amazon has it, I've been using this for years.

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and swgdan
April 2017 build. A wheel was scuffed during transport, which they fixed when I brought it in for the other problem: the rear defogger was not connected. They damaged a trim piece while fixing that, but mobile service was able to fix it a couple of weeks later. Also while it was in I had them tweak the FWD alignment, but that could have waited until the first service appointment. Overall I'm happy as the rear defogger is probably not something easy to test in a California factory, the FWD alignment was minor, and they were easy to work with about getting it fixed.

Oh, and I had an unfixable flat tire a few weeks after delivery, but that's not Tesla's fault. They didn't put the chunk of sharp metal in the parking lot.