Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2018 75D is soon to be out of warranty. The car has ~43k miles. We had issue with car on initial delivery in regards to trim / fit / finish that were corrected. Overall its been decent thereafter without any major issues. We were entertaining keeping car, but if so would strongly considering extended warranty given the high cost of repair should some components break. We were considering the warranty as provided by Tesla:

Our battery apparently is fine until 2026 and I understand that it is not covered; however, it appears the falcon doors and screens (which the car relies on) are covered? Does anyone have any experience / advice for or against this warranty or others?

Thanks in advance!

we have 1 year left on our original Tesla warranty for our P100D X (MY2018).

there has been enough suspension related replacement parts & service during the warranty that there is virtually no way i would want to take these on post warranty (based on the invoices that were all warranty coverage...they totaled over $3-4K, if not more). no issues with falcon doors, computer parts, etc....yet (knock on wood).

so for me, there is no question that i will be getting the extended warranty via Tesla in March 2023.

If you plan on keeping it another 3-4 years, definitely. My 2018 MX with 56,000 miles has developed front suspension issues and I too am keeping an eye on the doors. Each repair will cost you $200. If you have front end issues, door issues, or other mechanical or electrical issues one service call will quickly eat up the cost of the extended warranty. Not to mention the front drive shafts. I am glad I have it.

One of the clear things the warranty doesn't cover it says is suspension...what are thoughts on that?

On the webpage:

Consumable parts are not covered. In the suspension department, those are:

1) suspension alignment

2) shock absorbers

Other parts like the air compressor for the suspension system are covered.

I don’t expect alignment to be covered.

But are the control arms covered? And the air compressor is a spendy item so glad that it’s covered too.

I have all my invoices for the suspension work done on warranty so I would want to sit down with the SC and confirm before I plunk down the $5K.

My 2015 S has had an absurd number of issues, and it’s always one of the superfluous bells and whistles. I mean, I’m happy the key parts seem solid (battery, motor) but, man, retractable handles. I made a big deal about my 30+ calls for service and practically demanded a replacement car. I settled for a free 2 year warranty extension.

For those wondering about Xcare extended warranty, I’ve had them since January and have been very satisfied. My X is a 2016 90D with 89k miles. It seems like it is in service at least every other month with a 1-2k+ repair. I’ve had the following items replaced /repaired this year:

Jan: a/c compressor - covered
Feb: coolant heater/Electric Battery heater -covered
Mar: Infotainment bubbling (covered, but I paid to upgrade)
May: Low on freon - not covered
Aug: both front door latch retrofit - covered
Aug: LTE out due to cane cut by window - covered

The process to notify then have them pay for the services is relatively easy. You also get a $50 daily rental reimbursement if you chose to get one.

If you’re keeping your X, I’d highly recommend

Reactions: cbdream99 and ngng
I keep wondering if I should get an Xcare extended warranty, I guess I have procrastinated too long as the price has increased almost 30% from 2 months ago. Even though the car has the same miles, and I tried looking at one model year newer and still a similar price.

My experience may be related to the first year of a new model. I am not sure how common these issues are newer model x’s. I’ve never bought an extended warranty and was a bit apprehensive, but when I saw what was covered it made the decision much easier. Just glad that it is working out and can bridge me to the Cybertruck :)