Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X with Enhanced Autopilot should I upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0 hardware.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have an 2018 Model X with Enhanced Autopilot and I debating if I should upgrade hardware from 2.5 to 3.0 - what will I get if I do that other than $1000 out of my pocket.

Did anyone do it? Does it make sense to see if 4.0 comes out. FSD upgrade for me is $6000 so there is also that for $5000 more I get the computer and FSD. There is also the fact that subscribing to FSD for me is only $99 not $199 because I have the Enhanced Autopilot option.

Hi All,

I have an 2018 Model X with Enhanced Autopilot and I debating if I should upgrade hardware from 2.5 to 3.0 - what will I get if I do that other than $1000 out of my pocket.

Did anyone do it? Does it make sense to see if 4.0 comes out. FSD upgrade for me is $6000 so there is also that for $5000 more I get the computer and FSD. There is also the fact that subscribing to FSD for me is only $99 not $199 because I have the Enhanced Autopilot option.
It depends on what you want.

If you're good with EAP, then there’s no need to pay more for EAP. 2.5 is powerful enough for EAP.

If you want FSD then 2.5 is not powerful enough for it. You need HW3 or above.

As you said, HW3 is not the end because HW4 is next. So if you want FSD, I'm not sure why settle for HW3 when HW4 is next.

Reactions: Thp3
Upvote 0
It depends on what you want.

If you're good with EAP, then there’s no need to pay more for EAP. 2.5 is powerful enough for EAP.

If you want FSD then 2.5 is not powerful enough for it. You need HW3 or above.

As you said, HW3 is not the end because HW4 is next. So if you want FSD, I'm not sure why settle for HW3 when HW4 is next.

The code base on HW 2.5 and HW 3.0 is different though. This means that even with the same EAP feature set, there are things that work better on the 3.0 HW.

As an example, I have a Model 3 with HW 2.5 and EAP feature set, and a new X with HW 3.0 and Basic AP feature set. There is a road near my house that I travel on every day from home to work and back. This is a 4-lane divided (with esplanade/divider) road with a speed limit of 40 MPH. It is about 5 miles long.

The Model 3 with the 2.5 HW gets the speed limit wrong on the entire road. For about a 3.5 mile section, it improperly believes the speed limit is 35 MPH, and the other 1.5 mile section it believes the speed limit is 45 MPH (both are wrong).

The Model X with the 3.0 HW has the correct speed limit (40 MPH) for the entire road.

This is not the only difference in the two code bases, I'm sure, however I cannot test EAP features like NoA on the Model X because it only has basic AP.

I'm curious and possibly interested in upgrading the AP computer in the 3 from the 2.5 to the 3.0 HW, as I believe NoA may function quite a bit better on that hardware. NoA on HW 2.5 is not really usable. However, I do not know if Tesla will allow a HW upgrade while retaining the EAP feature set (i.e. without also upgrading to FSD).

Reactions: Raisin45567
Upvote 0
...I do not know if Tesla will allow a HW upgrade while retaining the EAP feature set (i.e. without also upgrading to FSD).
Tesla does not sell HW3 for EAP function.

However, there's a loophole for EAP to get HW3:

1) Subscribe to FSD
2) Pay to get HW3
3) Once you got your HW3, cancel the FSD subscription. Now your FSD is downgraded to EAP but you keep your HW3.

Upvote 0
Tesla does not sell HW3 for EAP function.

However, there's a loophole for EAP to get HW3:

1) Subscribe to FSD
2) Pay to get HW3
3) Once you got your HW3, cancel the FSD subscription. Now your FSD is downgraded to EAP but you keep your HW3.

Are you sure that once I choose to cancel the FSD subscription that the downgrade won't be back to basic AP? i.e. Tesla's not going to tell me "EAP is no longer available -- you can stay with FSD or cancel and get basic AP" ?

Upvote 0
Is this still possible?
To come from AP 2.5 hardware with EAP purchased, pay the 1k for the hardware FSD computer to subscribe to FSD software. Then cancel after the month and go back to EAP software with no consequences?
Would like to have the live sentury mode, and FSD visualisations but don't want to pay the 9k for the full FSD software..

Upvote 0
Has it been confirmed that HW4 cannot retrofitted into HW2.5 or 3 vehicles? Once that is a for-sure (and I fix everything wrong with my MX) I would seriously consider the upgrade to HW3 in order to try a FSD subscription.
Yes, it is confirmed. Elon said it's not economical to do so. He said there's "no pathway" to do a HW4 retrofit.

Reactions: Shuttlecraft X
Upvote 0