Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since it has gotten hot in the Midwest, our Model X sounds like a jet when the AC is active. We can hear it at least 100 ft away from the car when it is running. Anyone else have this issue? I posted a video of it.

One other remote possibility. I have a 13,xxx VIN, Aug 2016 MX. A fair number of slightly earlier deliveries had cars with the AC lines crossed at the compressor. This led to unbearably loud battery cooling noise at Superchargers.
But, I say this is low probability in your case because I don't think I've read on the forum an instance of this since late 2016.

We have a June 2016 X90D and the AC is LOUD. It might be the your recording but ours is much louder. I am almost embarrassed when we are parking, especially when supercharging. I can hear it from about a football field away....
About ready to make an appointment for an annual service. I will bring it up again (and compare it with a loaner if I can)

Heck, my 2001 Porsche 911 was like a leaf blower when pulling into the garage, and kept it up for a while after turning the car off. It really kept that side of the garage clean.

The electric fan on my Porsche 924 stopped working once. Nice and quiet when I stopped, but if a traffic light was red for longer than a minute or so the car started to overheat. Probably not good for the A/C (and battery) if that fan is not being noisy. It's needed to push (pull?) air through the radiator/condenser, especially when the car is not moving.

Heck, my 2001 Porsche 911 was like a leaf blower when pulling into the garage, and kept it up for a while after turning the car off. It really kept that side of the garage clean.

The electric fan on my Porsche 924 stopped working once. Nice and quiet when I stopped, but if a traffic light was red for longer than a minute or so the car started to overheat. Probably not good for the A/C (and battery) if that fan is not being noisy. It's needed to push (pull?) air through the radiator/condenser, especially when the car is not moving.

We can even hear it at highway speeds. I am sure they will say it is within spec etc.

Mine is similarly loud but was even louder when I first got it. My air went out at one point and afterwards the compressor seemed quieter, but now there is something in the dash that vibrates when the fan is going full speed and the car isn't moving. The loaner I had when it went in for service didn't have any of those issues, so I'm convinced they aren't all like that but for now I live with it.

Our 2018 MX has pretty noisy fans, but you do notice them a lot more than in ICE cars for obvious reasons. I'd say the noise seems about average in the interior when driving compared to other cars we've had. Sometimes on start up when it's hot it really rips for a minute or so, but soon settles down to a more normal level.

Hehehe, wait until you supercharge in this heat ;-) Will be even louder. Or you'll likely get the message that cooling inside the car is reduced due to AC being needed fully for supercharging if your in the car - be aware of that and ready to not stay in the car during those times.

ps. a jet engine is way louder.